Working out for 4 weeks now, no weight change.

I have been keeping up with my calories here, trying not to go above 1600, and with one cheat day. I have also been walking on the treadmill and lifting weights at least three times a week. The scale hasn't moved an inch! I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong diet wise, or if I'm doing something wrong exercise wise. Please help!

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Try eating a bit less and/or cutting out the cheat day.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    How are you measuring your calorie intake? Food scale for all solids? Measuring cups for all liquids?
  • Laylas_Mommy
    Laylas_Mommy Posts: 5 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    How are you measuring your calorie intake? Food scale for all solids? Measuring cups for all liquids?

I'm pretty busy for I have just been drinking two protein drinks a day, with some prepackaged snacks, and then getting something from somewhere where I can look up the calories on here.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    If you're premenopausal, wait another couple of weeks before being certain there's anything wrong - one full cycle plus a bit.

If there is something wrong, the comments and questions above will help you figure it out, if you stay engaged in the conversation.

Are you logging your cheat days? I'd certainly encourage you to do that (even if you have to estimate). That at least gives you a better estimate of your true calorie deficit.
  • Laylas_Mommy
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If you're premenopausal, wait another couple of weeks before being certain there's anything wrong - one full cycle plus a bit.

If there is something wrong, the comments and questions above will help you figure it out, if you stay engaged in the conversation.

Are you logging your cheat days? I'd certainly encourage you to do that (even if you have to estimate). That at least gives you a better estimate of your true calorie deficit.

I'm not currently logging it, but I will try that. I think I'm gonna skip one this week and see what happens.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Also, if lifting weights is a new thing for you, you might be retaining some water from new exercise. But almost always, the culprit is not logging your food intake accurately.
  • Laylas_Mommy
    PokeyBug wrote: »
    Depending on how you're measuring your calories from walking on the treadmill, you could be overestimating your workout calories. Don't trust the calorie burn on the treadmill. There is no way that is accurate for anyone but the person they used to design it. And don't trust the MFP user-created ones, either. Again, there is no way they're accurate for anyone but for the person who created it. I use this calculator, which is pretty accurate for me, but YMMV. http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/walking-calorie-burn-calculator.shtml

Also, if you have to hang on while walking, you're basically eliminating the extra burn that comes from walking faster or at a higher incline. I recently had to switch from a 15% to a 10% incline, so I'm walking for a longer amount of time. I realized I was losing faster, which seemed odd, but I did a little research, and it turns out I was cheating myself by cranking up the incline to a level I couldn't handle without hanging on. (There are many, many articles out there with the same information, but here's one: http://scarysymptoms.com/2014/08/treadmill-high-incline-holding-on-vs/.)

Okay thats part of it, too then, I'm counting what the treadmill says and sometimes I do hang on. I will stop both. Thanks!