Headaches after going to the gym.

Hello. I sometimes get headaches that leads to migraines after working out. I started to eat before going that helps. Today I ate an English muffin went to gym and ate an apple afterwards. At home ate breakfast. I still feel a headaches coming.What gives?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I usually eat some salt if I start getting a headache from working out - it clears it up instantly.

fyi...also works for me for hangovers.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    It's either hydration(too much or not enough) salts/water mix

or

Caffeination

• mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member

or

Caffeination

and/or low blood sugar
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    mulecanter wrote: »

or

Caffeination

and/or low blood sugar

Nope!
    Hello. I sometimes get headaches that leads to migraines after working out. I started to eat before going that helps. Today I ate an English muffin went to gym and ate an apple afterwards. At home ate breakfast. I still feel a headaches coming.What gives?

GK eliminated that possibility experimentally.
  • GuineaKitty
    GuineaKitty Posts: 97 Member
    Hmm I did drink water but sweated a lot cause it was hot. I never heard of the salt part. Thanks I'll give that a try next time.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Hmm I did drink water but sweated a lot cause it was hot. I never heard of the salt part. Thanks I'll give that a try next time.

I’m hoping to have the grid finished next Tuesday. The salt is mentioned because it can be lost through sweating during exercise. If you exercise for prolonged period of time, you may want to replenish electrolytes (the stuff in gatorade).

I will often drink a protein powder with electrolytes when lifting (with warm up and cool down and then stretching those sessions are 4+ hours). And it's yummy.

As others have stated, could be just hydration or low blood sugar. Or a combo of several things.
  • GuineaKitty
    Thanks I'll try that protein drink next gym day. It sounds delicious and I will lift too.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    there is also exertion headaches.
  • AgileK9
    AgileK9 Posts: 257 Member
    edited May 2018
    I get those after a mountain bike ride so I've been keeping a couple little oranges in my truck for when I'm done. I eat them on the way home and it seems to ward off the post ride headache which sometimes would put me down for the rest of the day.

And I do suffer from low blood sugar as someone else suggested.
  • GuineaKitty
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    there is also exertion headaches.

Crap. I'm very prone to migraines. Okay will do this too. At work and 2 OTC migraine pills and still feel terrible. I did perk up a after eating salty and sweet food bur it didn't last. Gonna read up more on this type of headache. Thanks this is very helpful.
  • GuineaKitty
    https://migraine.com/headache-types/exertion-headaches/
    I found article helpful too. I think it was the treadmill that triggered it. I was hot while on it and had a very high heart rate. Overall I'll do as everyone suggested. Most of the articles mentioned what you guys said. I need to take better care of myself I guess. Thanks again. :)
  • Loveslupins
    Loveslupins Posts: 67 Member
    I get this too, and it’s seems my poor teen daughter has inherited this from me. Seems like it’s from exertion/over heating. It’s worse, the worse shape I’m in. As I get more conditioned, the less likely I am to get a migraine. I read that making sure you’re really hydrated before, during and after your workout is important.
  • GuineaKitty
    Starting to feel better. Glad it didn't last to long. Will take it easy the rest of the day. Will eat better and take protein shake with me Wednesday.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Have your blood pressure checked. If you have high blood pressure, exercise can raise your already-high blood pressure and cause headaches. My husband and I are polar opposites -- I have hypotension, and he has hypertension. If his blood pressure is up, he gets headaches when he exercises. I get warm for a change.
  • GuineaKitty
    My pressure is in the low normal range. I have no idea why I get migrianes. I got checked out a few years back and they couldn't find anything wrong with me.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    My gyms in a basement i put two and two together that im sensitive to the slight pressure change from being underground. That sucks XD