Macros and Protein

Okay my lovely protein consuming people, help me!! There has to be more creative ways to get the protein you need every day to hit your macros. I do jerky, real meat, eggs, protein powder and bars, and but a lot of stuff that has that extra protein punch in it. I'm burnt out. After a day out with my husband yesterday, I had to come home and eat 3 boiled eggs with a 2 cup protein shake. I thought I was going to be sick. Lol. So send me your recipes, suggestions, any fricking thing to help!! TIA!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I find it extremely easy to get enough protein, and I only eat food I love. What's your macro split like, and why?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    If you find yourself having to add 3 eggs and a protein shake on top of the meat you're already eating, my first question is: are you sure your protein goal is realistic? How much are you looking to get?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    How much protein in grams are you aiming for? What is your calorie goal?
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    edited May 2018
    Cheese, slice deli meat, lean meats, dairy, beans...lots of beans.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    it sounds like your protein goal is high - i do 145g a day and hit that pretty consistently without trying
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Okay my lovely protein consuming people, help me!! There has to be more creative ways to get the protein you need every day to hit your macros. I do jerky, real meat, eggs, protein powder and bars, and but a lot of stuff that has that extra protein punch in it. I'm burnt out. After a day out with my husband yesterday, I had to come home and eat 3 boiled eggs with a 2 cup protein shake. I thought I was going to be sick. Lol. So send me your recipes, suggestions, any fricking thing to help!! TIA!

How much protein are you aiming for, out of how many calories?
  • sardelsa
    it sounds like your protein goal is high - i do 145g a day and hit that pretty consistently without trying

Probably not on 1200 cals right?
  • deannalfisher
    sardelsa wrote: »

true...that is like my breakfast
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa wrote: »

true...that is like my breakfast

Haha nice ;)
  • gamerbabe14
    I'll say this too, double check your entries and make sure they're capturing the correct nutrition information. I have an old, incorrect salmon entry that sometimes gets pulled in on accident. My fiancé caught it when I sent him dinner a couple of weeks ago. It made a big difference!
  • glammooreghoul
    glammooreghoul Posts: 75 Member
    I'm 216 and want to be 150. 5'6". Secondary with at least 3 workouts a week. I'm allowed 1740 cals, 128 protein, 124 carb, 81 fat.
  • glammooreghoul
    glammooreghoul Posts: 75 Member

I need to start throwing beans in. I never do that.
  • gamerbabe14

I need to start throwing beans in. I never do that.

Oh and egg whites! I was eating like 3-4 eggs a day until I discovered the beauty that is an egg white. Oatmeal and pb2 are also really helpful. Sorry for the multiple replies, I just increased my protein (110g) as of late and struggled with it at first. Don't forget fiber too!
  • deannalfisher
    greek yogurt is a go-to for me (15g protein per cup); my quaker oatmeal has 7g;
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    OP: I think you have it pretty much covered.

You don't mention seafood but I assume you have canned tuna, salmon and mackeral on hand too.

I get them for $1/can at the Dollar Store which makes them among the best bangs for your buck as far as protein goes.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I'm 216 and want to be 150. 5'6". Secondary with at least 3 workouts a week. I'm allowed 1740 cals, 128 protein, 124 carb, 81 fat.

Try pre logging your day if you're struggling.

Reduced fat dairy, seafood, protein enriched cereal, lean meat if you don't have the calories for fatties cuts
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member

Are you including a protein source at every meal and snack? Most people do not include a protein source at breakfast. I pre log my main meals then see what I need to do with snacks to meet my goal. I usually only need to make up 30-40 grams with snacks. Here are some snacks I use:

2 pieces of reduced fat String cheese: 12-14g protein
    4oz canned tuna 22g protein
    2/3 cup Greek yogurt 17g protein
    Whey Protein Shake 25g protein

You can find protein bars with 10g to 40g of protein. I keep some 12-14g bars and some 20g bars around.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2018
    Pre-logging your entire day is huge. So is centering each meal around the protein. If my breakfast isn't high protein, I have a hard time hitting my protein goals for the day.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    To make weight management possible, you have to learn how to allow yourself, yourself, and that sounds delightful, but it is also very hard, because you also have to set boundaries for yourself, yourself. So while there's a certain amount of calories you have to stay under in order to lose, or not gain, weight, and a certain amount of nutrients to get in every day in order to stay healthy, all other parameters are up to your decision. There are numerous ways to calculate protein and fat goals, but ultimately it boils down to preference and long time adherence. So if it's difficult to stick to and makes you want to quit, it doesn't matter if it's the most ideal diet in the world.

So I would approach this differently. Look into Harvard Healthy Eating Plate, and compare that with how you normally eat. Apart from too many calories overall, could it be that you're not getting in sufficient fruit and vegetables? Could you eat more whole grains and less refined grains? Cook more from scratch and eat less out? Combine foods differently for your meals? Then prelog some different food days in your diary, adjust amounts, and see how the macros turn out. When you find some sets of combinations that make you feel energized and happy and satisfied, day after day, and easy to stick to your calorie target, you have found your sweet spot. Getting healthy is not about punishment and suffering, it's about living a good life and feeling well, physically, mentally and emotionally.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    g9dr9q3mk360.jpg