Orlistat (xenical) while doing Keto diet?

I'm pescatarian so doing Keto is difficult for me as it seems like there is much more prep or planning (not keen on raw diets). I lost a good amount of weight with that in the past, like 15 lbs in a month. Once i ended it, I spiked right back up. I'm currently on orlistat (120 mg) and have lost about 8 lbs in the past 3 weeks. I recently started going to the gym twice a week (last week and this) so I'm hoping to be losing more soon. I drink north of 64 oz of water a day, typically around 90 oz or more so I'm not concerned about water weight.

Here's my question, has anyone tried doing Keto while taking orlistat? I've already read why this might be a bad idea but have also read someone saying it worked well for them. So I'm not looking for opinions like "That's a bad idea" but rather opinions from someone that may be an actual dietrician or health professional who can give an opinion but also from people that have tried this. Have you tried taking orlistat / alli/ xenical while doing the ketogenic diet? did it work? was it awful? What were the pros and cons.

Look forward to feedback,
-I'm trying!!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Just thinking about this makes me feel scared.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Just thinking about this makes me feel scared.

It sounds like It should be a Netflix reality show.

Alli in the house!

Horror show!

Nightmare!

Not something you want to see :sick:
  • lyndsfattofit
    lyndsfattofit Posts: 33 Member
    My doctor suggested putting me on this a while back, after seeing my mum's 'accidents' there was no way. But doing it on keto where its high fat??? No. Just. No
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member

Ahhh, my favourite thread.

OP, read this thread all the way to the end. And then seriously reconsider your plan.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Take out shares in andrex or charmin ultra
  • Boxn_n_Bellydancn
    Boxn_n_Bellydancn Posts: 171 Member

Yes, THIS! I don’t remember specific stories which were keto specific, but there was a ton of great (and unfortunate) info shared.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2018
    myfitpal13 wrote: »

Yes, THIS! I don’t remember specific stories which were keto specific, but there was a ton of great (and unfortunate) info shared.

Don't need to be keto specific, really. The problems with Orlistat/Alli stem from eating fat, and keto is a high fat diet. It's simple enough to work out the logical procession from those two facts.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited May 2018
    Honestly, I read the title of your thread and said "EWWWWW!" so loudly my office mate asked what was wrong. Those two things together seems like a recipe for disaster.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    I'm pescatarian so doing Keto is difficult for me as it seems like there is much more prep or planning (not keen on raw diets). I lost a good amount of weight with that in the past, like 15 lbs in a month. Once i ended it, I spiked right back up. I'm currently on orlistat (120 mg) and have lost about 8 lbs in the past 3 weeks. I recently started going to the gym twice a week (last week and this) so I'm hoping to be losing more soon. I drink north of 64 oz of water a day, typically around 90 oz or more so I'm not concerned about water weight.

Here's my question, has anyone tried doing Keto while taking orlistat? I've already read why this might be a bad idea but have also read someone saying it worked well for them. So I'm not looking for opinions like "That's a bad idea" but rather opinions from someone that may be an actual dietrician or health professional who can give an opinion but also from people that have tried this. Have you tried taking orlistat / alli/ xenical while doing the ketogenic diet? did it work? was it awful? What were the pros and cons.

Look forward to feedback,
    -I'm trying!!

You really should be asking your dr if it is ok to go on keto with orlistat. I have concerns though as that the medicine and keto will work against each other.

Since you read already somewhere (link?) that it is a bad idea to combine the keto diet with orlistat, I am not sure why you would even want to do this?

Be safe and consult your dr about it. Hugs.