Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Natural foods" vs "others"

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I thought everything had some degree of natural radiation.

Great, now I've got to get rid of everything.

Get rid of your workout clothes while you're at it. Synthetic fabrics have chemicals that will kill you.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

Yup :tongue:
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Get rid of your workout clothes while you're at it. Synthetic fabrics have chemicals that will kill you.

Ok now if this is going to turn into that kind of au naturel thread I am out of here.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    nettiklive wrote: »

Hmmm really? So scandals like DDT where something is promoted as totally fine, until cancers and birth defects begin, never happened? How many times in history did corporations produce something, only to go 'whoops' decades later and end up with the substance banned or restricted? That however doesn't help those who have already suffered the consequences (and mind you, not everyone does). And this, for the most part, happens with artificially produced substances, not ones occurring in nature. Though these also exist, and I try to avoid natural foods that are potential cancerogens or endocrine disrupters, such as soy for children or even overly burnt toast. Same with additives, that may be totally harmless, or may, in twenty years, emerge to be associated with cancer or other issues. Its easy enough to avoid them (not fanatically but minimize), to where it's one of the easiest risk to.mitigate in an environment that's already not too healthy.

You've mentioned the bolded, and I have to say I was surprised to see it. I'm admittedly very poorly informed about child nutrition (I'm childless), but pretty well informed about soy foods (I'm vegetarian, long-term). In particular, I was under the impression that research is suggesting that young girls may gain resilience against adult breast cancer when soy foods are part of their routine diet. (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1054139X12003527, among others.)

What I'm aware of is a combination of statistical assessments of populations in soy-consuming cultures, animal studies, and retrospective survey research, so that's not a 100% persuasive case. I haven't dug deeper, because, as I mentioned, I've had no reason.

You may very well be correct about the effect overall: I don't claim expertise. Still, the one piece of the puzzle I've seen leads me to question, and I'm posting this mainly to suggest that anyone who's concerned may want to do their own research and form a well-rounded picture, rather than taking your statement as confirmed truth because no one has commented.

Edited to make quote tag properly attribute, losing some context from up-thread in process. Apologies for that bad side-effect. :(
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Things aren't natural anyway.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I've got just one life to live. People can do what they want, but I refuse to spend it being scared of burnt toast.

But it has the carcengines!! Plus, it can burn you.

Or give you those little abrasions on the roof of your mouth . . . maybe the anti-toast brigade is on to something here.

particularly the gluten-free toast..that stuff is like sandpaper.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

ooh- That reminds me --> 'tis the season to re-permethrin-treat the ** out of my backpacking clothes.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I randomly stumbled on this video today and remembered this thread, I'm sure it'll get woo'd on here but this sums up exactly what I've been trying to say about fast food and junk food and how it's different from natural foods
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1025790800904622&id=276157035868006

Can you please point to where in this thread, or any other, anyone said that there is NO difference between "junk food" (whatever you are defining that as) and natural foods (again, however you define them)? You keep proclaiming that people are saying something that no one is saying, and you've been misrepresenting the context of this thread in others as well.

People were claiming here there's no difference between a homemade burger or potato and McDonald's or frozen Walmart burgers or whatever. There is because production matters.

You'll have to find the exact quote where someone said there is no difference between a homemade burger or potatoes and those purchased from McDonalds so that I don't misinterpret their position, but my guess is that the point was that the nutritional value of the basic, common ingredients used in these food items is negligible in comparison.

Homemade ground beef burgers vs McDonalds ground beef burgers - same size, same toppings. Tell me how the nutritional value is going to be different?

Homemade french fries vs McDonalds french fries... again, tell me how the nutritional content is going to vary significantly.

You've trotted out some scary sounding chemicals that are listed on a fearmongering article/video. How specifically do those chemical additives detract from the basic nutritional profile of both the burger and fries if it is mass produced by McDonalds vs prepared by a home cook?

It's like earlier in the thread where the example of letting children snack on a giant bowl of canned frosting instead of fruit was used . . . like, the reason we usually don't let children snack on frosting is because it's freaking frosting, not because it came in a can. It's not like we'd see big differences in the results of letting kids snack on homemade buttercream frosting from grass-fed cows instead of Duncan Hines from a tub.

...and now I'm craving frosting.

Rainbow chip frosting on saltines is awesome.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    I've got just one life to live. People can do what they want, but I refuse to spend it being scared of burnt toast.

But it has the carcengines!! Plus, it can burn you.

Or give you those little abrasions on the roof of your mouth . . . maybe the anti-toast brigade is on to something here.

particularly the gluten-free toast..that stuff is like sandpaper.

It's got nothing on Cap'n Crunch Peanut Butter Cereal. That stuff is brutal on the roof of the mouth! And I don't even burn it in the toaster. But it maybe still has cancerogens because not 'natural'.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I randomly stumbled on this video today and remembered this thread, I'm sure it'll get woo'd on here but this sums up exactly what I've been trying to say about fast food and junk food and how it's different from natural foods

Can you please point to where in this thread, or any other, anyone said that there is NO difference between "junk food" (whatever you are defining that as) and natural foods (again, however you define them)? You keep proclaiming that people are saying something that no one is saying, and you've been misrepresenting the context of this thread in others as well.

People were claiming here there's no difference between a homemade burger or potato and McDonald's or frozen Walmart burgers or whatever. There is because production matters.

You'll have to find the exact quote where someone said there is no difference between a homemade burger or potatoes and those purchased from McDonalds so that I don't misinterpret their position, but my guess is that the point was that the nutritional value of the basic, common ingredients used in these food items is negligible in comparison.

Homemade ground beef burgers vs McDonalds ground beef burgers - same size, same toppings. Tell me how the nutritional value is going to be different?

Homemade french fries vs McDonalds french fries... again, tell me how the nutritional content is going to vary significantly.

You've trotted out some scary sounding chemicals that are listed on a fearmongering article/video. How specifically do those chemical additives detract from the basic nutritional profile of both the burger and fries if it is mass produced by McDonalds vs prepared by a home cook?

It's like earlier in the thread where the example of letting children snack on a giant bowl of canned frosting instead of fruit was used . . . like, the reason we usually don't let children snack on frosting is because it's freaking frosting, not because it came in a can. It's not like we'd see big differences in the results of letting kids snack on homemade buttercream frosting from grass-fed cows instead of Duncan Hines from a tub.

This sounds like something I would enjoy.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Put some macerated fruit on that saltine. It will be more like a PIE!
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Put some macerated fruit on that saltine. It will be more like a PIE!

:D
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options

I first read that as "sardines". ;)

(Just to be on topic to the thread: Sardines are more "natural" than saltines, because they have eyes. ;););) ).
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Gonna be exciting to see what gets me first, my french fries, my toast, my workout clothes, or my counters.

Here’s the thing, how would you know which one is the culprit?
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Gonna be exciting to see what gets me first, my french fries, my toast, my workout clothes, or my counters.

Here’s the thing, how would you know which one is the culprit?

I'm going to start saving now so I can afford to hire this guy when I get sick: https://www.medicalmedium.com/