Glycemic Index of sweeteners

DvlDwnInGA
DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
Thought I would share this link.

http://www.sugar-and-sweetener-guide.com/glycemic-index-for-sweeteners.html

I know that some sweeteners cause much more of an spike in insulin than others, and here is a good list of how they compare.

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Great link...thanks for sharing!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Fascinating. Thanks. I'm intrigued by where the various sweeteners in Quest bars are, and folks' response to them.
  • Bill_Keto
    Bill_Keto Posts: 108 Member
    Saving this Thank you.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    No problem everyone.

Here is a video guide by 2 of my favorite Keto people on this exact subject where they did testing. They also just put out a cook book that is great. Their ketoconnect web page is also a great place for keto goodies. Including a how to on Keto bread. :)

Here is the vid.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYfqvTZWilw
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,515 Member
    Thanks for sharing! And this is a great reminder to folks to always read your labels carefully, sugar can be "hiding" in many different ways. A perfect example is the Stevia In the Raw Brand. You'd think that Stevia is a great 0 calorie, 0 impact on the GI scale sweetener, except when you look at the ingredients list, the first ingredient is DEXTROSE!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Thanks for sharing! And this is a great reminder to folks to always read your labels carefully, sugar can be "hiding" in many different ways. A perfect example is the Stevia In the Raw Brand. You'd think that Stevia is a great 0 calorie, 0 impact on the GI scale sweetener, except when you look at the ingredients list, the first ingredient is DEXTROSE!

Most of the 'in the raw' branded items are like that. Stick to the liquid versions of the sweeteners - they don't don't have the fillers like that. Or if you can handle sugar alcohols (some peeps can't), use Truvia - no dextrose, but it does have erythritol, a sugar alcohol.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,515 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »

Most of the 'in the raw' branded items are like that. Stick to the liquid versions of the sweeteners - they don't don't have the fillers like that. Or if you can handle sugar alcohols (some peeps can't), use Truvia - no dextrose, but it does have erythritol, a sugar alcohol.

Oh, I know better now, I was just posting in case that information was helpful to someone else. I now use SweetLeaf brand which isn't perfect, but is pretty good overall, and when I can get my hands on it, my local healthfood store sells pure Stevia which is my preference.