TIPS❗️❗️❗️

so i’ve been losing INCHES, but the # on the scale hasn’t been budging.. i just started meal prepping again today & seeing if that will help.
any tips to keep losing inches but also drop weight?

Replies

• happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    The weight on the scale is just a number. If you are losing weight, and looking better, that is success! Nobody knows what the scale says except you, but everybody can tell how you look :-)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    If you are dropping inches you are probably losing fat but the scale isn't moving because of water/food retention or inconsistent weighing habits. Just keep doing what you are doing and give it some time. Make sure you weigh yourself exactly the same way each time (same clothing or none) and it is better if you have already made a trip to the restroom and you certainly do not want to have had anything to drink or eat yet. Even something like forgetting until after you get out of the shower and having wet hair can throw a wrench into process.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    My clothes started to feel looser before any loss registered on the scale. Stay the course, it will happen if you are consistently in a calorie deficit.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Don't eat yellow snow! The numbers on the scale aren't the end all, be all of fitness. Even if the numbers stay roughly the same, as long as your clothes keep getting looser & you look & feel better, that is what's most important. Keep at it & the numbers will go down. It's a marathon, not a sprint
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Your other thread https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10669255/slowlybutsurely#latest is the best example of how all this works.

Your transformation in these pics tells the whole story, stick with your planning and calorie deficit the scale will eventually catch up. :smile:
  • iissamarie
    iissamarie Posts: 30 Member
    The weight on the scale is just a number. If you are losing weight, and looking better, that is success! Nobody knows what the scale says except you, but everybody can tell how you look :-)

THANK YOU! ❤️

• iissamarie
    NovusDies wrote: »
    If you are dropping inches you are probably losing fat but the scale isn't moving because of water/food retention or inconsistent weighing habits. Just keep doing what you are doing and give it some time. Make sure you weigh yourself exactly the same way each time (same clothing or none) and it is better if you have already made a trip to the restroom and you certainly do not want to have had anything to drink or eat yet. Even something like forgetting until after you get out of the shower and having wet hair can throw a wrench into process.

THANK YOU! ❤️
  • iissamarie
    emmies_123 wrote: »
    Weight is a number. If you are losing inches, I'm guessing that you have lost fat and gained muscle, which is heavier. Otherwise it might be water retention, or weighing yourself at different situation than when you initially weighed in.

I am linking a picture post that helped me realize that it was more important to focus on my fitness and nutrient intake than my weight, I hope it helps you too:

https://www.delish.com/kitchen-tools/advice/a53899/these-pictures-prove-weight-is-just-a-number/

THANK YOU! ❤️
    LOVE THE LINK
  • iissamarie
    My clothes started to feel looser before any loss registered on the scale. Stay the course, it will happen if you are consistently in a calorie deficit.

THANK YOU! ❤️
  • iissamarie
    JBApplebee wrote: »
    Don't eat yellow snow! The numbers on the scale aren't the end all, be all of fitness. Even if the numbers stay roughly the same, as long as your clothes keep getting looser & you look & feel better, that is what's most important. Keep at it & the numbers will go down. It's a marathon, not a sprint

THANK YOU! ❤️
  • iissamarie
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Your other thread https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10669255/slowlybutsurely#latest is the best example of how all this works.

Your transformation in these pics tells the whole story, stick with your planning and calorie deficit the scale will eventually catch up. :smile:

THANK YOU! ❤️
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    edited May 2018
    ReneeKatz wrote: »
    MFP encourages high protein intake (for its default), so if you follow it, you will most likely gain muscle.

MFP suggests a protein target macro that is above the minimum RDA for protein; but, which for many people falls short of 2x RDA. And 2x RDA is a level which many studies seem to suggest as a suitable protein target for someone who wants to preserve lean mass in a caloric deficit.

But regardless of MFP's setting... how do you make muscle grow, especially in a caloric deficit, just by eating protein?

As to the OP: please take your time and establish a consistent weigh-in habit over a 4-6 week period.

You may also want to use a trending weight web site or application such as Happy Scale (iphone), Libra (android), trendweight.com/weightgrapher.com (you can connect both of them to a freely available without a device fitbit.com account to enter your weight data and push it to them and MFP at the same time).

After 4-6 weeks evaluate your results and the deficit you believe you have. If your food logging practices can be easily tightened (weighing food, picking entries that are cross-verified with the usda database and/or the food packaging) do so, and otherwise re-evaluate your food input and exercise output with a view of establishing an actual (as opposed to purported) caloric deficit of no more than 20% of TDEE (25% if classified as obese).