11 days in feeling weak

Options
brittanyterry1
brittanyterry1 Posts: 10 Member
I'm 11 days in feeling weak I just want a bowl of cereal or a honey bun or even a freaking coke I am doing so well not caving but I'm so cranky bc I feel like I am being told i can't have it

Replies

• 0426Jamie
    0426Jamie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting your salt and water in! Cravings the first 3 weeks are always the hardest part. And diet sodas are okay on keto. I have also been drinking sparkling ice to help me kick my diet soda habit. Good luck!
  • brittanyterry1
    brittanyterry1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thought you couldn't have any artificial sweeteners that are in the diet soda ? And thank you
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My guess is you are low on sodium. Are you getting more than 3000-5000 mg of sodium each day? There's 2300 mg sodium in a teaspoon of salt.

Symptoms of low sodium are fatigue, moodiness, headaches, stomach issues, muscle aches, weakness and spasms.

Are you eating enough? Maybe eat to your appetite for a couple of days and see if that helps.

As for sweeteners, some keto'ers avoid them (some find it leads to cravings or elevated insulin) but others use them. I use stevia and have diet Pepsi.
  • Misty_1375
    Misty_1375 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Thought you couldn't have any artificial sweeteners that are in the diet soda ? And thank you

You can't
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    grm10375 wrote: »

You can't

Why not?
  • 0426Jamie
    0426Jamie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Um, yes you can. The artificial sweetners in most diet sodas have a 0 on the glycemic index, meaning your body doesn't respond to them. If you are finding that diet sodas are kicking you out of ketosis, then I wouldn't drink them. But overall, they should be fine :).
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I use diet sodas and Equal or Stevia everyday on keto, and have lost 110 pounds. My best advice: Read alot about keto, feel free to ask questions...but go with what works for you...not someone else. There are many valid ways to do this and be successful.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas can be a compliance tool for some -- or a gateway drug for others.

It is all very individual whether you can use them in your plan. I personally know someone who gained 20 pounds in inflammation alone in a single month by adding sucralose/Splenda coffee syrups back in to her daily consumption.

Some people react better or worse. The general idea of "no sweeteners" stems from multiple reasons.
    • sweet/sugar addictions
    • artificial appetite issues
    • binge triggers
    • insulin resistance/reactions
    • inflammation
    • glucose spikes (due to fillers like Maltodextrin or dextrose)
    • bathroom reactions (maltitol is the worst offender I know of in this category)
    • gut health (docs suggest avoiding the "pink, blue, or yellow" packets - as most of these cause or worsen leaky gut)

For me, most of these, you'll know about or see coming in advance.

Personally, I found Stevia, liquids, to be my favorite choice.

In a powder, I prefer a stevia/erythritol combo using inulin for a "powdering" agent. Maltodextrin, dextrose, and many other "fillers" have a higher glycemic impact than straight sugar.

I've also heard good things about the more natural/lower impact sweeteners Yacon Syrup and Lacuma Powder.

Feel free to try different things and see what works for you - or more importantly, what doesn't. In a pinch, I'd rather grab a diet soda than be tempted by a candy bar, honey bun, etc. So it's all about how you use it.

I know a number of people who've spoken of finally dropping a diet Coke or diet Pepsi daily habit that suddenly find allergies or migraines/daily headaches reduced, etc. Some more "hard core" proponents of dietary compliance will say NEVER, and honestly, that works for some people. Simply put, it doesn't work, or not as well, for others.

Also, over time, my "sweetness preference level" has reduced significantly. What used to be 6 packets of sugar is now 1-2 packets of stevia blend... I even have to water down diet sodas if I drink one... LOL