What is the secret to success

A positive mind set, not giving up, letting go of guilt, knowing you will reach your goals, being happy with who you are period. This is what I have learned thus far. What about you?

Replies

• Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Forming habits and developing discipline, because motivation is fleeting and fickle.

^This.

You know Anvil, your words of wisdom are starting to grow on me :D
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Having a workable, effective plan and being consistent. I think that goes for most things in life too.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    A plan I don’t actually follow is not a good plan. Fortunately, plans can be improved.

Things I do in furtherance of my goals are either helpful or not helpful. I’m not good or bad based on my weight or weight loss progress. Making my character an issue ups the ante in an unhelpful way.

My efforts are generally as good a my food diary.

Commit to logging no matter what. Going over my number is not reason to quit the entire process. Perfect is the enemy of the good.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Forming habits.

This hits it on the head for me. Really, it comes down to forming new and sustainable habits. I was just thinking the other day that I don’t have to think about it like I used to; my logging, choosing to move more and being patient are becoming automatic. For a while there I had to take a leap of faith and trust the process.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Knowing that your progress is not to be compared to others. Everyone has their own goals, and their body has it's own quirks.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Positive self talk, mindfulness, commitment, habits.
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Patience.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Do not live to lose weight; lose weight to live.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Exercise is not to be a chore; it is a physical activity which I enjoy.
  • mitchkelly2446
    mitchkelly2446 Posts: 38 Member
    Forming habits and developing discipline, because motivation is fleeting and fickle.

What motivates you to form habits?
  • mitchkelly2446
    mitchkelly2446 Posts: 38 Member
    gebeziseva wrote: »

You can try jumping naked in front of the mirror :wink: That does it for me!

Very sharp! What I meant was what keeps the "motivation" (or whatever you want to call it) going until the habit is formed (3 weeks or so, roughly I think is the rule of thumb)? This would apply whether it's weight loss or anything, wouldn't it?

I don't disagree that long term it's all about habits and blind obedience to rules that have become ingrained, but what keeps you going for the first bit?
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    edited May 2018

Very sharp! What I meant was what keeps the "motivation" (or whatever you want to call it) going until the habit is formed (3 weeks or so, roughly I think is the rule of thumb)? This would apply whether it's weight loss or anything, wouldn't it?

I don't disagree that long term it's all about habits and blind obedience to rules that have become ingrained, but what keeps you going for the first bit?

In order to keep yourself going for the first bit, until things become ingrained, you need to be doing it for the right reason: YOURSELF. It is both rhat simple and that complicated. It can't be for anyone else or because you want to be like someone else or because you want people to like you etc.
  • Thediamond13
    Thediamond13 Posts: 46 Member
    Look for little victory’s everyday. Sooner or later they start to stack up and make a difference. Don’t get discouraged and never give up
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2018

I guess it depends on the person. Exploring the subject of intrinsic vs. extrinsic motivation can be insightful - if you're extrinsically motivated, maybe having a supportive group of friends here that routinely check in with goal updates, or a trainer/workout partner or whatever could be helpful to get you over the hump. If you're intrinsically motivated, it comes down to getting in your own head, coming up with a 'why', focusing on your goals and riding the motivation long enough to get the habits established. And make no mistake, even once the habits are formed, there are still days you just aren't feeling it and need to gut up and push through. It never becomes a completely effortless glide - or at least it hasn't for me.

But either way, in the end it comes down to wanting it badly enough - either you do or you don't. There's no magic that can make somebody do something they really don't want to do. As the saying goes, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink". If somebody just can't get going, can't adhere to their diet, and comes up with nothing but excuses why it can't be done, IMO they're just not ready yet. Maybe at some point down the road it will become enough of a priority for them to feel the need to do it - or maybe it never will. Ultimately we're all responsible for our own destinies.
  • AtLeastOnceMore
    AtLeastOnceMore Posts: 304 Member
    Recognising when I genuinely want something vs. when I'm reaching for it as a crutch. If I want chocolate, I'll go through a few little questions to myself:

1) Do you actually want chocolate or are you just generally hungry/thirsty?
    I'll reach for a boiled egg or water and sit with it for a while.

2) Scale of 1-10, how much do you want it?
    If it's a 10, that's a worry and there's no way I'll reach for it - no one should ever want a food so badly that it's the only thing they can think of. That's not a healthy way of interacting with food. If it's lower (anything <6), I'll consider it. And finally....

3) Why do you want the chocolate right now?
    If the answer is "because chocolate tastes nice and I would like some right now", I'll have 3-4 squares. If the answer is "because I'm bored/ scared/ worried/ stressed/ avoiding something", that chocolate stays where it is. Instead, I'll force myself to face whatever it is that triggered that craving, or at least set a time to do so.

My reliance on food as emotional comfort is what got me here, I'll be damned if that's a habit I take with me moving forward.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited May 2018

...what keeps the "motivation" (or whatever you want to call it) going until the habit is formed (3 weeks or so, roughly I think is the rule of thumb)? This would apply whether it's weight loss or anything, wouldn't it?

Daily reminders work for me. I like to use checklists, post-it notes, and apps in the beginning. Build on the habits that already work - add new habits into your existing routine (called “habit stacking”).

Lots of my better habits took much longer than three weeks to form. So it takes commitment to working at it for a while, even years. Somehow the long-term mindset helps me in the motivation department.
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Never giving up, no many how many times you screw up. Just keep trying, keep going, and you'll chip away to your goal.