Why are slim people slim?

Hungry_Shopgirl
Hungry_Shopgirl Posts: 329 Member
edited May 2018 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Just saw this ~40 min vid on youtube that asks and answers that question following two slim individuals with hidden cameras for a week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoRh5-gCCrc

I found it super interesting! Especially because neither of them are what I would consider really into fitness or nutrition. They both have what I see as some bad habits (for example, he eats his meals in front of the computer or TV screen, she doesn't "workout" at all).

But basically they have a high NEAT, sleep well, don't drink their calories, self-regulate over the course of the week (if they have a higher calorie day they eat less the next), among other things.

Bottom line is their CI = CO. And it's refreshing to see that in practice in "real lives".

Watch it and tell me what you think!

Replies

• bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Super interesting, pretty much what I would expect really. They are unconsciously active, do not really snack and really follow their instincts regarding hunger.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited May 2018
    thanks for sharing I always love watching documentaries on this type of thing! So interesting. I like to show these to my friends who insist every skinny person just has a “super fast metabolism”.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    I do know one guy who either has some weird biological thing going on or has days or part of the day where he offsets what I see. He eats big double patty burgers with large fries, full sugar sodas all day long and when we have a big lunch for some celebration or whatever paid for by the company, he wolfs down apps, has a big meal and dessert. People are always asking him how he stays so thin and he just shrugs his shoulders and says "lucky, I guess". He is fairly active.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member
    ANYONE can stay slim as long as they aren't over consuming more than they need.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    amandaeve wrote: »
    I only know 3 kinds of slim people: 1) those who work hard at it every day, like me 2) those who are hyper active; "busybodies" and/or too anxious to overeat 3) those who are on their way to not being slim anymore and it's not showing yet.

4) those who are chronically ill

Thank you for adding that. The only slim chronically ill people I know were slim premorbid, but it is important to acknowledge this as a separate reason.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I only know 3 kinds of slim people: 1) those who work hard at it every day, like me 2) those who are hyper active; "busybodies" and/or too anxious to overeat 3) those who are on their way to not being slim anymore and it's not showing yet.

4) those who are chronically ill

Thank you for adding that. The only slim chronically ill people I know were slim premorbid, but it is important to acknowledge this as a separate reason.

I'm a chronically ill underweight (18.4 and dropping) person. My "normal" weigh is around 20.5. I get so many comments about how great I look and how lucky I am to be thin because it's awesome to be starving to death.

I used to work with the elderly. The best way we put weight on them was add fat and sugar. Basically a SAD.