Keto Help

Options
New to the keto diet, only about 3 days. But I still have lots of confusion as to exactly what I should be doing aside from lack of carbs and higher fats. I’m feeling hungry and have a bad sweet tooth right now. Just looking for suggestions on how you do the keto diet, what you eat, etc. thanks!

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Sometimes increasing sodium/salt can help with cravings. Make sure you are getting 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day.

When hungry, I find it best to eat... Within reason. I'll occasionally have a day with 3000 kcal, but most days are around 1500 when I am losing weight. I find indulging on calories hungry days helps me stay in better control. When I add carbs, I lose that control.

My snacks are cans of tuna or seafood, cheese, pepperoni, eggs, nuts, olives, coffee or leftovers. I also enjoyed veggies with dips too.
  • SkinnyPop50
    SkinnyPop50 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use this site http://www.ruled.me. A number of fat bomb and dessert recipes to help with the sweet tooth. I made a raspberry swirl cheese cake and it was delicious. There is also a Keto calculator double check your numbers. Use the recipes to hit your numbers. The recipes are delicious and make sure you drink a lot of water. Oh if you are a coffee drinker I bought a KETO MCT oil (Vanilla, chocolate, etc.) to add to my coffee and it has also helped with hunger and hitting my fats.
  • Sesquy
    Sesquy Posts: 58 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Fat bombs aren't as terrible as the phrase sounds and really, really help you feel full. Throw a spoon of olive oil into most things helps. It's been a staple when I need to add to something to feel more full like tofu scramble, salads, etc.

The sugar/carb cravings get better after a few days. My body was the same. I was like SESQ PLEASE, GIVE ME A LOAF OF BREAD AND BAG OF REESES. Just hang tight. You'll still crave junk (who doesn't?) but it won't be as bad once your body adjusts.

Electrolytes are also super duper important. You do need more sodium/etc. on keto because as water weight is shed, so are more electrolytes. Even if not very active.

Everyone's advice above is great and you'll do great too, just stick with it!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    New to the keto diet, only about 3 days. But I still have lots of confusion as to exactly what I should be doing aside from lack of carbs and higher fats. I’m feeling hungry and have a bad sweet tooth right now. Just looking for suggestions on how you do the keto diet, what you eat, etc. thanks!

Welcome to the Dark Side! LOL!

I am following the Ketogenic Lifestyle as well. I have high A1C so there is a medical reason for my decision to do this. You might find that there are a lot of people who have an agenda and will tell you how silly your are for doing this. But, that is okay.

I also did powerlifting, which had been rough. REALLY ROUGH. I recently hurt myself (again) so I am re-evaluating the power lifting thing. Once I recover completely (likely tomorrow) I am going to focus on body building type training sessions (aka, Hypertrophy). I can tell you that the training sessions for power lifting were somewhat tough under Keto.

As others have already stated, make sure to ingest "lots and lots and lots" of Sodium, Magnesium and Potassium (aka, Electrolytes) as you will be able to mitigate the so-called Keto Flu. I hear that it is really rough...I was fortunate and believe that I somehow by-passed that (I did a lot of research before going Keto and was well aware of the Keto Flu and what one can do to mitigate it!

It is going to take a little bit of effort to change. Your body is going through a change (from using glucose/glycogen to ketones for energy).

Keep in mind that calories are calories - if you eat 5000 calories a day (no matter how they come packaged) you will gain weight. I mention this only because it seems that lots of people seem to think that Keto is a magic diet. It is, for those of us with a medical need......but, calories are calories! I sure hope that this comes across the right way......written text does not always convey spirit of message and intent (like tone of voice can clearly do).

Feel free to message me if you like. I am always glad to help. @nvmomketo - and I am in no way putting words in her mouth - has a lot of good ideas and suggestions.

Are you aware of the Low Carb group? There is likely a wealth of information in there for you.....just an idea!

If you have not - here is the URL: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Welcome to the Dark Side! LOL!

I am following the Ketogenic Lifestyle as well. I have high A1C so there is a medical reason for my decision to do this. You might find that there are a lot of people who have an agenda and will tell you how silly your are for doing this. But, that is okay.

I also did powerlifting, which had been rough. REALLY ROUGH. I recently hurt myself (again) so I am re-evaluating the power lifting thing. Once I recover completely (likely tomorrow) I am going to focus on body building type training sessions (aka, Hypertrophy). I can tell you that the training sessions for power lifting were somewhat tough under Keto.

As others have already stated, make sure to ingest "lots and lots and lots" of Sodium, Magnesium and Potassium (aka, Electrolytes) as you will be able to mitigate the so-called Keto Flu. I hear that it is really rough...I was fortunate and believe that I somehow by-passed that (I did a lot of research before going Keto and was well aware of the Keto Flu and what one can do to mitigate it!

It is going to take a little bit of effort to change. Your body is going through a change (from using glucose/glycogen to ketones for energy).

Keep in mind that calories are calories - if you eat 5000 calories a day (no matter how they come packaged) you will gain weight. I mention this only because it seems that lots of people seem to think that Keto is a magic diet. It is, for those of us with a medical need......but, calories are calories! I sure hope that this comes across the right way......written text does not always convey spirit of message and intent (like tone of voice can clearly do).

Feel free to message me if you like. I am always glad to help. @nvmomketo - and I am in no way putting words in her mouth - has a lot of good ideas and suggestions.

Are you aware of the Low Carb group? There is likely a wealth of information in there for you.....just an idea!

If you have not - here is the URL: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Thank you. :)

Here is the keto MFP group too:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto