Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Replies

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    Love this thread! I’m getting ready for a garage sale this weekend. I am finally going through boxes we packed when moving here 10 years ago. I convinced my 23 year old son to sell video games and boyhood stuff. Feeling very empowered and have been on point with my weight loss quest this week

Great! Hope the garage sale goes well. Be prepared to throw out, give away, or recycle the stuff you decided you didn't need that doesn't sell. No takies-backsies! :smiley:

One thing I was going to mention in here (unrelated to the above but no need for a new post) is that I read an article a few years ago that I've always remembered.

It was by a woman in her sixties who'd been left the estate of her remaining parent, full of clutter.

So much stuff she couldn't find room for. She already had too much stuff of her own.

It made her realise she would never want to burden her child with so much stuff, so many things. She then did lots of work and kept only her necessities.

Since reading that, I don't want my house to ever be in a state where it would be a nightmare for my next of kin.

I also want it to be lovely for living in.

Sad to say but that's my parents right there. They have a huge house and it's filled with crap. My brothers and I shocked my dad recently when we told him, that the day he died and we had to clear the house, we'd both need to take one month unpaid leave just to get that house empty. That's 3 of us. And we're counting on intermittent help from their wives.

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,157 Member
    This summer, I'll have time off of work. And I plan on really being ruthless with old belongings and things in my basement. They are down there because I simply don't need them or I'd be using them.
    Some of you know the FLY Lady philosophy; I like her tip of breaking down your house in zones and cleaning zones. But always clean and shine your kitchen sink every day.
    Others probably like The Life Changing Art of Decluttering. I like her idea of "does this spark joy." If it doesn't donate or throw it away.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    @Orphia

Those are some good tips! I especially like the 'good enough is enough'. It was hard learning that, but somehow everything seems more rewarding if you aim for something that's manageable long term (just like weight loss :wink: )
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Love these organizing tips!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    bump
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Are you allowed to dump stuff in front of Goodwill during non-operating hours?
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    kam26001 wrote: »
    Are you allowed to dump stuff in front of Goodwill during non-operating hours?

My local Goodwill has a sign posted prohibiting leaving items while they're closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!