For those that skip breakfast...

Replies

• briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    The only thing that annoys me about people saying they skip breakfast is it's impossible to skip breakfast unless they don't eat at all that day. Breakfast is simply the first meal of the day, be it as soon as you get out of bed or 5 hours later. What people actually mean is they don't eat as soon as they get up, or they don't eat what is considered a breakfast meal.
    firefoxxie wrote: »
    The only thing that annoys me about people saying they skip breakfast is it's impossible to skip breakfast unless they don't eat at all that day. Breakfast is simply the first meal of the day, be it as soon as you get out of bed or 5 hours later. What people actually mean is they don't eat as soon as they get up, or they don't eat what is considered a breakfast meal.

While this is the true definition of breakfast, I don't believe society holds it to this definition. It's like an unspoken acknowledgement that breakfast has the definition of "A meal eaten in the morning."

Be annoyed or not..this is what the majority of society thinks.

You're both kinda right according to Webster's:

Definition of breakfast
    1 : the first meal of the day especially when taken in the morning
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 450 Member

While this is the true definition of breakfast, I don't believe society holds it to this definition. It's like an unspoken acknowledgement that breakfast has the definition of "A meal eaten in the morning."

Absolutely...this is true!!!! The funny thing is if I told someone that I eat breakfast at 11:30 they probably wouldn't question it as I used the word breakfast.
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    kds10 wrote: »

Absolutely...this is true!!!! The funny thing is if I told someone that I eat breakfast at 11:30 they probably wouldn't question it as I used the word breakfast.

Yup! Try it out. :smile:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    It's really not just the cereal companies though. Ask any dietitian, they'll probably tell you that you need to eat breakfast to regulate your appetite during the day or whatnot. Everyone I know is still convinced that you need to eat breakfast, so...
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member

Thankfully I'm not a sheep and don't always think what society says I should.

That is a wonderful thing.
    However, it's not about following the majority. It's about being aware of and understanding how the majority thinks. :)
  • M0n1KCR
    M0n1KCR Posts: 148 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    M0n1KCR wrote: »
    In Spain most people have just coffee for breakfast, and then we have a mid-morning break where we eat something - usually a small sandwich-, because we have lunch very late. I still remember the first time I went abroad and explained it to my host family (whose daughter was coming to my house later on); they looked at me as if I came from Mars, and then told me that was soooooooooo unhealthy. No breakfast! Lunch at 3 o'clock! It got to a point when I feared they wouldn't allow their child to come to my house, just in case she died from starvation ;-)

But you guys have late dinners too.

Still curious about what time people go to work/school over there when they end up having dinner after my bedtime, lol.

I work in a high school, and classes start at 8. Most people start working between 8 and 9. Then there are two main timetables: in one of them you work until about 3, and eat your lunch later, and in the other you have a lunch break at about 1:30-2 and then you go back to work. The problem is that this lunch break is usually very long (in some places they don't go back until 5 in the afternoon), because most people go home for lunch, so they finish work quite late in the afternoon (around 7). Most business close at 7, some shops at 8, and big chains and supermarkets are open until 9:30-10. Most families have dinner around 9:30.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    In Spain most people have just coffee for breakfast, and then we have a mid-morning break where we eat something - usually a small sandwich-, because we have lunch very late. I still remember the first time I went abroad and explained it to my host family (whose daughter was coming to my house later on); they looked at me as if I came from Mars, and then told me that was soooooooooo unhealthy. No breakfast! Lunch at 3 o'clock! It got to a point when I feared they wouldn't allow their child to come to my house, just in case she died from starvation ;-)

But you guys have late dinners too.

Still curious about what time people go to work/school over there when they end up having dinner after my bedtime, lol.

I work in a high school, and classes start at 8. Most people start working between 8 and 9. Then there are two main timetables: in one of them you work until about 3, and eat your lunch later, and in the other you have a lunch break at about 1:30-2 and then you go back to work. The problem is that this lunch break is usually very long (in some places they don't go back until 5 in the afternoon), because most people go home for lunch, so they finish work quite late in the afternoon (around 7). Most business close at 7, some shops at 8, and big chains and supermarkets are open until 9:30-10. Most families have dinner around 9:30.

When do you sleep? Lol. Serious question. Do people just nap during their lunch break?
  • NotMe72
    NotMe72 Posts: 2 Member
    My breakfast is normally a handful of sunflower seeds, but I love breakfast foods. I will eat eggs anytime lunch or dinner. But when I get to the gym at 5am I really can’t stomach food and I’m never hungry when I get home.
  • Christi2705
    Christi2705 Posts: 8 Member
    I rarely eat “breakfast”. I do fasting morning workouts with BCAA’s. Then I usually have a protein shake about 4 hours after getting up and then “lunch” 3 hours after that.
  • hippiesaur
    hippiesaur Posts: 137 Member
    kds10 wrote: »
    I know crazy, I have more than enough energy to do my workout on an empty stomach in the morning as well the point about eating breakfast will make you less hungry during the day...ummmm...never worked for me.

Same for me. When I eat breakfast early in the morining I can't stop eating all day long. I'm usually fine without breakfast for a 2-4 hours after I wake up, and I'm less hungry those days...
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited May 2018
    I don't think whether I eat breakfast or not has ever really come up too much with anyone other than my RD when I was seeing one. Admittedly, i'm not doing IF anymore (I have a protein shake in the morning and afternoon in addition to my normal evening eating).