Help with in home strength

Hey everyone I recently lost 65 pounds and had 2 kids . I would like to loose another 20 pounds but also tighten my belly and my upper arms . I would like to buy something for my house. Any tips??? Pictures would be great or where you purchased !!

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Kettlebells are small and versatile. You would do well with a 15(8kg) 25(12 kg) and 35(16 kg) set.
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    Congratulations on your weight loss and having two kids! God bless! I'm also trying to tone up my arms. There's a variety of things you can do: medicine ball lifts, battle ropes, and dumbells. Walmart and Target have these at an affordable price. Battle ropes are great for toning up arms. You can get just a regular heavy rope at a home improvement store and use that, it might be cheaper. There's a lot of great workout videos on YouTube and also free smartphone apps for arm workouts that help build muscle. Yoga is another great thing you can do to tone up. I love yoga. There's also equipment free moves you can do ("gym free workouts") like take a chair assume a "sit" position at the end of the chair seat and slowly raise/lower yourself. Pushups. That's all that comes to mind at the moment, those are what I recently started doing.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    A pair of dip bars might be a good investment and a pullup bar.
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    You can use two dinner chairs to do dips, just lower yourself between the two, hands on the seats, using your heels as the pivot point.
    Milk Jugs with water in them work great for doing curls or overhead press (think raise the roof)
    Pushups work great for chest, shoulder and triceps. Lean with your toes on the ground, heels off, hands on the couter top and lower yourself, or on the ground works too.
    Doing lunges as you walk up and down the hallway will help with lower body.
    On a commercials do a set of crunches/situps/planks
    Depending on the age of the kiddos, hold them and do air squats, this will help with lower body
    Or lay down on your back and hold them above your chest and press them up and down away from you, again if they are old enough to support their own necks.
    Baby carrier curls, diaper bag curls, extensions.
    Creativity is the name of the game with home workouts.
    You dont NEED equipment but once the home gym stuff gets easy then you may want to upgrade to gym style eqpt.
    Hopefully that helps.
    PM me if you have any questions.
  • michaelludgate31
    michaelludgate31 Posts: 10 Member
    Agree with stanmann571, additionally get foam floor tiles or an exercise mat. Don't get gadgets, they generally have nothing like the advertised effect and they break. Nor a machine that will become either a clothes horse or air drier. Wall or door mounted chin/pull up bar can be really good, I've got a 'power bar'. Rubberbanditz is a long resistance band that can be used for a load of exercises, but less obviously, makes it possible/easier to do other exercises. I've used one looped over the powerbar and the other end looped under a bent knee, to add 200% to pull-up reps.

The other thing is appreciating what you've already got, if you're able to pick up your kids for play and you like a clean house you've got a really good full body workout. My mum would pick us up and carry us around, swinging, etc. right up until we were 8 or 10.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    TRX suspension straps are great for at home because they require no space and can be used to work all body areas with infinite progression. Form and body alignment are very important so it would be helpful to take a few classes or training sessions to learn it, especially if you are new to exercise.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    In the long run, I ended up purchasing a barbell weight set and dumbbells for my home. They've gotten the most use of any equipment I've purchased, aside from some cardio machines.

However, if you don't want to invest in such a relatively large purchase, you could start out with simple body weight exercises, something like https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

I would really encourage you to follow a specific program or routine if you're serious about building strength, as existing programs are designed to maximize your progress. This is a helpful list of programs: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I wasted a lot of time when I was first getting into fitness by spending a lot of time doing things like bicep curls. In retrospect, I could have made much better use of my time and effort!

However, these programs do typically require the use of at least a weight set, so again, might be more than you're able or willing to spend at this time.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited May 2018
    lorrpb wrote: »
    TRX suspension straps are great for at home because they require no space and can be used to work all body areas with infinite progression. Form and body alignment are very important so it would be helpful to take a few classes or training sessions to learn it, especially if you are new to exercise.

TRX or similar was going to be my recommendation as well... might be the most versatile/greatest bang for the buck option.

Kettlebells or adjustable dumbbells would probably be second on my list of recommendations.
  • disney_addict_1028
    disney_addict_1028 Posts: 95 Member
    thanks everyone !!
  • cleesus
    cleesus Posts: 87 Member
    Ab roller is handy, adjustable bench, dumbells and pull up bar is all you need
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Best piece of equipment I have ever bought for my home workouts is a floor mat. I found an XL yoga mat on sale at Target for $15.

After that was my really good jump rope and a treadmill (bought it for cheap when my school did a massive training center upgrade).
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    3 items I think are a great bang for your buck are
    kettlebells
    ultimate sandbag
    trx