May 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    @Teresa502 -Looks amazing!!
    @shanaber - Great job on hitting goal! Hope you get that callus worked out.
    @mobycarp- You are not alone. I am struggling with motivation right now too. I am hoping my brain will reset itself on June 1 since I always kind of slack off in May since it's such a busy month on the home front. good luck on your race this weekend.
    @ROBOTFOOD - That looks like an epic adventure...or just another mid week midnight climb ;) I'm sure it was a beast of a workout, but I can't help but be a little jealous.
    @Orphia-Congrats on a stellar month!
    @girlinahat- Your photos are lovely! Makes me want to be there!
    @AlphaHowls - Holy mileage Batman! Great job...way to slay your goal!
    @ereck44 _ I am thinking about doing the Indy Monumental full. I have heard it's a great race.

After an early morning solo run then an extra 1.2 miles with Stella, I finished the month of May with 96 miles, just over my conservative goal of 90. Most of the month was spent taking it easy with the running and getting caught up on tons of other household work, mostly gardening and finishing our family room re-do. I also have been spending some time getting acquainted with some local trails, which has been fun, but honestly quite tiring.

Last night after work I went to a park north of my work. Based on its location on the map and its name of "Sugarcreek Metropark" I expected it to be a little urban park with some trails. But I had heard good things about it and since thunderstorms were looming, I thought it might be a good time to check it out. I was very pleasantly surprised. It was very wooded and the trails had a great variety of terrain. Even though the longest trail is only 3.1 miles, all of the trails intersect each other, so it's easy to do lots of exploring on different terrain. The trails were nicely marked too. There were not a lot of single track trails, which I am finding to be the most fun, but there was a good bit of climbing and it was also muddy, so the run was still challenging. The only problem with the place is that it is 20 minutes from my work, but in the opposite direction of home. So while it's easy to get to, it leaves me with about an hour drive home afterwards. I will definitely go back, but probably not on a frequent basis.

I am trying to come up with a plan for June. I am contemplating a fall road marathon and potentially a 27K trail race. I will probably start training for the full in July. For June I would like to focus on strengthening and also on trails. I am thinking of running trails on Wed and Sunday, track work and lifting on Tuesday, easy run and lifting on Thursday and long group runs on Saturday, with Monday and Friday for rest and yoga.

For those of you that combine trail and road running, how do you work your training schedule? Are you able to use your trail days as easy recovery days or does that not work? Right now I am finding my legs to be a bit sore after my trail runs, but I think it might just take some getting used to using those different muscles. I am also finding my HR to be quite a bit higher despite the slower pace. I am hoping practice and strength training will help with that.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Hi guys. I fell off the earth the last couple of weeks and I have been slacking. it's the end of the month and I know I need to create a new challenge. it will be done by COB. (hopefully by lunch) Promise. *crosses fingers*

Just remember that if there isn't one tomorrow morning all hell breaks loose and the world ceases to exist :wink: because runners run the world... Uh make the world go round!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    @lporter229 It will take time to build up strength and get used to trail running. It’s quite different than road running. But yes. I use trails as recovery days all the time. Strength training will help. I like deadlifts.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Hi guys. I fell off the earth the last couple of weeks and I have been slacking. it's the end of the month and I know I need to create a new challenge. it will be done by COB. (hopefully by lunch) Promise. *crosses fingers*

JUNE:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10671082/june-2018-running-challenge
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    phew. @Stoshew71 I was just preparing to get into the nuclear bunker....
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,426 Member
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    331.19 miles out of 200 goal miles
    Wait, WHAT?? That is totally super-human! I don't know how you do that. Incredible!!!

And 206 for @zdyb23456! What's going on here? I must be in the wrong group.
    You all are remarkable. <3
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,384 Member
    @skippygirlsmom - Congratulations on the Skippygirl! I know you had a wonderful vacation!! Welcome back!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    @lporter229
    i take them easier. the trails.
    they are often my longer runs on the weekends
    they strengthen your legs because the trail is uneven. i've used kt tape while and after running and foam rolling after
    i prefer trail running but i don't live close to fun trails so road or bike trail during the week. trails on weekends
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Wow.... despite TWO taper weeks (one for a road marathon, and one for trail ultramarathon) I still managed 173 miles for this month. ALMOST makes me want to run 27 miles tonight after work :lol: Not quite. Not in this humidity/heat!

I hope to get some miles in tonight. We will see. Maybe 12?

I think for summer I will try to run MORE times a week, for fewer miles each run to help survive the weather. Still need figure out running schedule around the new job, and moving to a new neighborhood.

Just got invited to a trial run with the local trail running group... so looks like it will be 5 tonight to take me to 178... might try to push them to 7 ;)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    @shanaber love the shoes! I'm still looking for trail shoes. I bought some road shoes without thinking "I don't run roads" and the soles grab too many rocks. I ran the trail muddy in them last week. Mistake. I'm not even sure where these shoes are now... That's sad to not love them enough to keep up with them.

@skippygirlsmom So glad to see you back! Congratulations to you and Skip with graduation!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Hi all. So Skip is officially graduated from high school with honors, we returned from our vacation yesterday from the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas, I’ve officially gained a ton of weight and need to get back to my routine. The ribs feel 100%.

Can someone post the link to the June challenge to save me the time scrolling to find it? Thank you.

ICYMI: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10671082/june-2018-running-challenge

And congrats to Skip!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Wow.... despite TWO taper weeks (one for a road marathon, and one for trail ultramarathon) I still managed 173 miles for this month. ALMOST makes me want to run 27 miles tonight after work :lol: Not quite. Not in this humidity/heat!

I think for summer I will try to run MORE times a week, for fewer miles each run to help survive the weather. Still need figure out running schedule around the new job, and moving to a new neighborhood.

Just got invited to a trial run with the local trail running group... so looks like it will be 5 tonight to take me to 178... might try to push them to 7 ;)

Park 2 miles away from where you are supposed to meet them? ;)
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    sarahthes wrote: »

Park 2 miles away from where you are supposed to meet them? ;)

One mile.
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Final May Running Totals:

Week 1: 44.4
    Week 2: 0
    Week 3: 0
    Week 4: 19.7
    Week 5: 9.6

MTD: 73.7

Feel a bit short of my guess for 84 miles for this month, which is OK with me.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    5k on trails - first time running trails since being back from my injury, and I think I hate my Cascadias. They seem to aggravate my knee troubles, they make my toes fall asleep, and if I loosen them my feet slide forward and I get black toenails. I've been in denial over them but I think I need to give up and look for some different trail shoes. I absolutely love my adrenaline 18s which are my road shoes, but the Cascadias just aren't doing it for me.

Apart from that, pretty good run despite the heat. And it's really neat-o keen to be able to go out and eat French fries again after a run! The worst part of not running was having to be much more careful about my blood sugar.

exercise.png
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,966 Member
    May Goal: 85 miles

5/1: 6 miles
    5/2: 5.75 miles
    5/4: 5.6 miles
    5/6: 12.5 miles
    5/8: 4.1 miles
    5/9: 4.1 miles
    5/10: 3.2 miles
    5/13: 8 miles
    5/15: 2.6 miles
    5/16: 2.6 miles
    5/17: 2 miles
    5/19: 13.1 miles
    5/22: 3.2 miles
    5/23: 3.2 miles
    5/24: 3.5 miles
    5/29: 5 miles
    5/30: 4.3 miles
    5/31: 4 miles

92.8/85 miles completed

I ran 4 miles this morning. I am so glad I started running before work. It was already 79F and pretty warm, but it is 99F feels like 104F right now and it will probably be worse later when I get off work. This whole week has been hot and the next two weeks probably won't be any better. I did make my goal for May, but I am not sure what I will do for June. I am not training for a HM any more, so between that and the heat I doubt my Sunday long runs will be as long as they have been the last couple of months. I don't have any races scheduled until November. I'd really like to find a 10K that was close by but so far no luck. There is a 5 mile race in June that is only 60 miles away and it starts at 9pm so it wouldn't be an early morning, but I doubt I will do it.

exercise.png

2018 races:
    5/19/18: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - 2:43:59.7. - 2nd place AG
    11/10/18: Wags & Whiskers 5K