What to do with Kale? I was gifted a big bag and am clueless.

abbynormalartist
abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
My dad bought a couple of giant bags of kale on sale and gave one of them to me. I've never eaten kale beyond a few bits mixed in with a salad. I've surely never cooked with it. What do you suggest making with kale?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I like massaged kale salad, wilting it in stir-fries or with pasta, potato-kale soup (chop it fine or even blend it), and in smoothies.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    I'll second the massaged kale salad. I find that it's also the perfect base for meal prep salads. It doesn't get wilty like most salad greens, so I can make a big batch on Sunday and eat it over 3-4 days without issue.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    I don't particularly care for it raw, but I love it in things like soup.

This one is lovely and simple: Lemony Lentil and Greens
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    I make juice with it! We buy so much of it now....
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2012/08/spicy-peanut-portobello-kale-rice-bowl.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+KathysBlogHealthyHappyLife+(Kathy's+Blog:+Healthy.+Happy.+Life.)&utm_content=Google+Reader

Really good recipe. My husband's the main cook in our house but even I can do a pretty good job of this and I don't cook often.

In case the link doesn't work I'm sure it can be found by searching "Spicy Peanut Portobello Kale Rice Bowl"
  • saunderslindsey
    saunderslindsey Posts: 1 Member
    I saute it with a little bit of olive oil, minced garlic, and crushed red pepper flakes until it starts to wilt some. It's so good!
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    I freeze it and stick it in smoothies.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    It’s like a tough spinach. If you have too much to enjoy right now you can chop it, blanch it, and freeze in ziplock bags. You can then use any recipe that calls for spinach.

https://pin.it/elufsvutthglxi
  • joyjackie
    joyjackie Posts: 3 Member
    I make it into a stew with lentils, bok choy,shiitake mushrooms , tomato sauce, garlic., some ground turmeric, chopped onions, freshly ground pepper. Sauté the vegetables in a bit of olive oil first. Add the sauce and cooked lentils at the end or else they break down. Exceedingly healthy.
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    edited May 2018
    Here is the best vegetarian recipe I've ever made https://www.skinnytaste.com/mushroom-kale-lasagna-rolls/

I also put it in soups, especially my copycat of Olive Garden's Zuppe Toscana.
  • TheSunAndTheRainfall
    TheSunAndTheRainfall Posts: 82 Member
    Stir fry, with garlic, chillies, noodles and sesame oil.
  • dajahshannon
    dajahshannon Posts: 16 Member
    Kale is so yummy, especially raw. But you can make all sorts of things like stir fry, chicken wraps with kale instead of lettuce, stuffed chicken breast, add it to different pastas, and of course it’s great in smoothies!
  • BlondeSlimDown
    BlondeSlimDown Posts: 34 Member
    I make a soup with it. I do t have a real recipe just generally throw in kale, tofu, ground turkey, ginger in a miso broth. And you can add any other veggies in you want.
  • Ninkasi
    Ninkasi Posts: 173 Member
    edited June 2018
    Tear the kale up, chop a red pepper into ~1 inch dice and cut about half a head of cauliflower into florets.

Put it all in a large bowl, add a little bit of olive oil and mix it up so the oil is distributed among the vegetables. Sprinkle in salt, pepper, and as much cumin as you like then mix again.

Put in a large flat dish, cover with foil, bake at 425 for about 30 minutes. Take the foil off, bake for another 10 - 15 minutes so vegetables get crispy around the edges. Awesome with a roasted chicken.
  • strongerbytheday
    strongerbytheday Posts: 116 Member
    Kale Caesar salad!
  • ninjamere1
    ninjamere1 Posts: 40 Member
    When I buy a big bag I like to roast it for chips. My favorite spices to use are cumin, cayenne and salt.

It goes from soft to crisp fast so as soon as you can see it's browning a little check it more
  • mayda3755
    mayda3755 Posts: 1 Member
    My dad bought a couple of giant bags of kale on sale and gave one of them to me. I've never eaten kale beyond a few bits mixed in with a salad. I've surely never cooked with it. What do you suggest making with kale?

I love Kale - I steam it and I add vinegar and Voila. My favorite way to eat it is when I put it in my air fryer with a tiny bit of salt & olive oil and I make Kale Chips, totally delicious and addictive
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »

So? What did you make?

I sauteed it with garlic, lemon and a little salt. Then I put it under an omelet. It was tasty but I cooked the kale like I usually saute spinach and that wasn't nearly long enough. It tasted more like a hybrid of spinach and broccoli and it needed to be cooked for much, much longer. I froze a ton that I have left over and I'll try it again... but I may not go out of my way to buy more.