What's Your Most Recent NSV

Replies

• ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Going canoeing with my two older sons and husband this weekend, my naturally athletic second son (6) wanted to go with me and we smoked everyone else (even the grown men with bigger kids). Granted, they were after a more leisurely paddle, but still...Boy #2 just wanted to paddle, not hang out (a boy after my own heart), so I indulged him a few times by paddling out ahead and then paddling back upstream to the group. I remembered how much I love paddle sports and got my husband talking about what kind of canoe to buy for me :)

I am a long time paddler - rafts, rowboats, kayaks and canoes. Recently I took up SUP paddling. Get out on one a few times until you can balance pretty well and have the basic stroke down. Then try a race board. You should be forewarned that at this point you will be looking in the couch cushions for $1000 or so...

Is there a dragon boat club in your area that you could try? I really enjoy paddling the kayak and canoe but I love dragon boating the most. I think its because I like the team aspect :)
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Going canoeing with my two older sons and husband this weekend, my naturally athletic second son (6) wanted to go with me and we smoked everyone else (even the grown men with bigger kids). Granted, they were after a more leisurely paddle, but still...Boy #2 just wanted to paddle, not hang out (a boy after my own heart), so I indulged him a few times by paddling out ahead and then paddling back upstream to the group. I remembered how much I love paddle sports and got my husband talking about what kind of canoe to buy for me :)

I am a long time paddler - rafts, rowboats, kayaks and canoes. Recently I took up SUP paddling. Get out on one a few times until you can balance pretty well and have the basic stroke down. Then try a race board. You should be forewarned that at this point you will be looking in the couch cushions for $1000 or so...

Is there a dragon boat club in your area that you could try? I really enjoy paddling the kayak and canoe but I love dragon boating the most. I think its because I like the team aspect :)

Yes, there is. I like SUP for the social aspect but I still get out and paddle alone sometimes for exercise. I have been doing about 10 miles a week on a slow board (I guess that is a NSV) that requires a lot of effort to average 3.3+ mph. I also like that I can go on rivers, lakes and surf at the beach.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member

Social aspect? Is it really social (ie you are talking all the time) or is that aspect optional? I loved rowing on the crew team in college bc during the actual training/racing I didn’t have to talk to anyone :lol: but I could be as social (or not) as I wanted before/after.

I love paddle sports for the quiet/solitude on the water. I’d be mostly on a lake in a local park when on my own, so I’m not worried about safety for canoeing/kayaking/SUP once I got the hang of it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member

Social aspect? Is it really social (ie you are talking all the time) or is that aspect optional? I loved rowing on the crew team in college bc during the actual training/racing I didn’t have to talk to anyone :lol: but I could be as social (or not) as I wanted before/after.

I love paddle sports for the quiet/solitude on the water. I’d be mostly on a lake in a local park when on my own, so I’m not worried about safety for canoeing/kayaking/SUP once I got the hang of it.

Team aspect != social aspect . . . speaking as a rower myself.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!