For those that skip breakfast...

Replies

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    who knows. I don't eat breakfast first thing in the morning because eating so quick after waking up makes me want to barf. I tend to eat a small snack around 10/1030 at my desk, so I guess that would be my breakfast.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    I don't skip breakfast so much as I eat it at 1:00 pm instead of when I wake up at 6:00 am :)
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    I tend to just have a snack in the morning because I'd rather sleep in then have to wake up and prepare something for myself. I'm also generally not that hungry in the morning and a simple snack suffices.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    For the longest time, I bought into the whole "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day" hype. I would actually force myself to eat first thing in the morning, even when I wasn't the slightest bit hungry.

Once I realized how ludicrous it was to eat food when I wasn't actually hungry, I simply stopped doing that. I also found that the first food of the day (regardless of when consumed) seems to wake up my internal "Feed me!" monster, which can then nag me for the rest of the day.

In the morning, I have my coffee, vitamins and supplements. I find I don't usually get genuinely hungry until at least noon. Skipping breakfast allows me to have a good lunch and dinner, plus a few snacks and treats, and stay within my calorie budget for the day.

It's one of the reasons I force myself to eat breakfast sometimes... vitamins and some medicine on empty stomach do not agree with me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    For the longest time, I bought into the whole "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day" hype. I would actually force myself to eat first thing in the morning, even when I wasn't the slightest bit hungry.

Once I realized how ludicrous it was to eat food when I wasn't actually hungry, I simply stopped doing that. I also found that the first food of the day (regardless of when consumed) seems to wake up my internal "Feed me!" monster, which can then nag me for the rest of the day.

In the morning, I have my coffee, vitamins and supplements. I find I don't usually get genuinely hungry until at least noon. Skipping breakfast allows me to have a good lunch and dinner, plus a few snacks and treats, and stay within my calorie budget for the day.

It's one of the reasons I force myself to eat breakfast sometimes... vitamins and some medicine on empty stomach do not agree with me.

I divide my supplements into "take with food" and "take on an empty stomach" according to what it says on the bottle.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member

This is why I take my vitamins at bedtime.
  • juliamfu161
    juliamfu161 Posts: 41 Member
    Breakfast is kinda relative too. I'd say that as long as it's Before 10am, it counts as breakfast. Now I dunno about other people, but I know that when I wake up, I usually feel kinda bloated. And that puts me off eating until it's got time to settle. So I don't really eat until after 9am. And by then I usually think to myself, if I can hold off for like 2 hours, I can have a big early lunch. And that usually works for me. It'd be different if I worked out in the mornings though, then I'd have at least some fruit afterwards. No need to get low blood sugar.
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Not sure. I only eat when I'm hungry. Sometimes after I get up, I don't get hungry til 11am. No reason to force feed myself.
  • M0n1KCR
    M0n1KCR Posts: 148 Member
    M0n1KCR wrote: »
    In Spain most people have just coffee for breakfast, and then we have a mid-morning break where we eat something - usually a small sandwich-, because we have lunch very late. I still remember the first time I went abroad and explained it to my host family (whose daughter was coming to my house later on); they looked at me as if I came from Mars, and then told me that was soooooooooo unhealthy. No breakfast! Lunch at 3 o'clock! It got to a point when I feared they wouldn't allow their child to come to my house, just in case she died from starvation ;-)

But you guys have late dinners too.

Still curious about what time people go to work/school over there when they end up having dinner after my bedtime, lol.

I work in a high school, and classes start at 8. Most people start working between 8 and 9. Then there are two main timetables: in one of them you work until about 3, and eat your lunch later, and in the other you have a lunch break at about 1:30-2 and then you go back to work. The problem is that this lunch break is usually very long (in some places they don't go back until 5 in the afternoon), because most people go home for lunch, so they finish work quite late in the afternoon (around 7). Most business close at 7, some shops at 8, and big chains and supermarkets are open until 9:30-10. Most families have dinner around 9:30.

When do you sleep? Lol. Serious question. Do people just nap during their lunch break?

I go to bed early, at about 10:30-11. And yes, I have a little nap after lunch, about half an hour makes you feel great. Many people do, especially in summer.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    In Spain most people have just coffee for breakfast, and then we have a mid-morning break where we eat something - usually a small sandwich-, because we have lunch very late. I still remember the first time I went abroad and explained it to my host family (whose daughter was coming to my house later on); they looked at me as if I came from Mars, and then told me that was soooooooooo unhealthy. No breakfast! Lunch at 3 o'clock! It got to a point when I feared they wouldn't allow their child to come to my house, just in case she died from starvation ;-)

But you guys have late dinners too.

Still curious about what time people go to work/school over there when they end up having dinner after my bedtime, lol.

I work in a high school, and classes start at 8. Most people start working between 8 and 9. Then there are two main timetables: in one of them you work until about 3, and eat your lunch later, and in the other you have a lunch break at about 1:30-2 and then you go back to work. The problem is that this lunch break is usually very long (in some places they don't go back until 5 in the afternoon), because most people go home for lunch, so they finish work quite late in the afternoon (around 7). Most business close at 7, some shops at 8, and big chains and supermarkets are open until 9:30-10. Most families have dinner around 9:30.

That's it. I want to move to Spain.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member

My mother was told by some unknown "they" you should take vitamins at night so that by the time you wake up they'll be digested and already at work in your body. I'm not inclined to believe this theory.

• ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    While I understand that breakfast can be an important meal for many, it isn't for some of us. I am not a breakfast eater, either. I have always worked evenings and I get home after midnight and by the time I do a few things and get to bed and to sleep, it's a sure thing I am going to sleep in until 9-10. I will get up and have coffee, then go about showering and getting ready for the day. Then I will prepare a normal lunch. If one is not hungry, there is no point in eating just to satisfy the clock. On special days or if I am up very early, I will likely eat a small breakfast that will include protein and some fruit. Don't let anyone tell you how to manage if you are comfortable with skipping breakfast. If you are skipping it and then eating breakfast or protein bars instead, it might not be the healthiest thing.
  • MamaNess2018
    MamaNess2018 Posts: 19 Member
    I like this thread! I personally have found over many years, that regardless if I eat “breakfast” or not, I’m still really hungry at 10:30 am. Like clockwork. I wake up daily at 5 am and sometimes eat a bowl of cereal, or something more substantial with my kids... but I’ve found that I’m still hungry at 10:30 when I do that, so lately I’ve been purposely skipping it instead of eating based on convenience (aka when I’m not pressed for time) in the morning. I just have a natural clock and have to plan to have a healthy meal available to me at 10:30 to avoid scrounging and eating junk food!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member

The main issue is for Advil or throat lozenges when I'm getting sick. Sometimes there's no 'just wait until later to take it' option, lol.