Weight Loss & Health Revelations

sugarlemonpie
sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
Kind of a different spin on my weight loss success story...

Over a year ago, I decided to become healthier. I had been disagnosed with severe asthma, and knew I needed to make some changes to improve my breathing and overall health in other areas, too. This year, for the first time in my life, I have gone to the doctor and not heard "you should lose weight". I feel I am also finally able to get real answers, instead of doctors just telling me it is because of my weight, or writing my symptoms off and not taking me seriously.

For example, now I know I have endometriosis, instead of just 'heavy periods and bad cramps', as the doctors have always said. And, of course "if you lose weight, it will help" - liars! The symptoms are as bad as ever. It just helped me be taken seriously.

I have lost over 60lbs, but no longer feel I am living in the darkness about my pain!

Has anyone else experienced anything like this with your weight loss?

Replies

• Tisa76
    Tisa76 Posts: 86 Member
    Sadly, what you experienced happens more often than maybe people want to admit. I have experienced very similar treatment. It's gotten to the point where I will over-exaggerate my symptoms in order for the doctor to actually run blood work or tests instead of chalking up my symptoms to me just being overweight. Yes, being overweight contributes to many things but that doesn't mean there isn't something else medically wrong with you that has nothing to do with it.
  • ginacr
    ginacr Posts: 1 Member
    I’m so frustrated with pain in my spine and coccyx area since losing 45 lbs. the pain has increased from March until now -Sept I have been to a chiropractor, my family dr, and orthopedic and trey have done everything to find the source of my pain. It’s so bad sitting sometimes I just can’t. I sit on ice packs at home. I use a donut pillow when appropriate. I’m only 48 so I’m too young for this!!!! Anyone else???
  • smithker75
    smithker75 Posts: 80 Member
    edited September 2019
    ginacr wrote: »
    I’m so frustrated with pain in my spine and coccyx area since losing 45 lbs. the pain has increased from March until now -Sept I have been to a chiropractor, my family dr, and orthopedic and trey have done everything to find the source of my pain. It’s so bad sitting sometimes I just can’t. I sit on ice packs at home. I use a donut pillow when appropriate. I’m only 48 so I’m too young for this!!!! Anyone else???

My husband lost around 20kg (44 lbs) a few years ago. He developed coccyx pain, much like you describe. Because he flies frequently for work, the pain was very problematic. He was referred to an exercise physiologist who designed a program of exercises designed to build his glutes. Much of his pain was due to those muscles being underdeveloped. He still continues to include these exercises in his regime and it has worked wonders. I hope you can find a solution...it's debilitating pain.

@sugarlemonpie I was 'only' around 40 lbs overweight and have had the same doctor for many years, before and during my weightloss, so I was lucky. It would be incredibly frustrating to have to not be taken seriously or properly assessed. Well done on your weightloss and I hope your asthma improves. I know mine has since I lost weight and improved my fitness.
  • saresimsr36
    saresimsr36 Posts: 128 Member
    I quit going to the doctor entirely.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,423 Member
    I quit going to the doctor entirely.

Me too. It’s a waste of time and money
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    ginacr wrote: »

Me! Is this a thing? I thought it would get better as I lost weight but it kept getting worse. After 2 hours sitting in a stadium I almost couldn't walk.

Has been a bit better lately since going to the gym so it probably is just weak glutes. A physiotherapist will be more help than a doctor or chiropractor.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!