Do you exercise because you enjoy it or so you can eat more?

I was an avid runner until injury stopped that. Kinda lost all my motivation to exercise in way, carried on eating like I WAS exercising... and now I’m back logging calories. Gained just under a stone in weight...

I’ve had 3 healthy meals, a few bits of fruit and some nuts today. I went to the gym (circuits class) and have walked around 5 miles.... but I’m only 50 calories under my allowance...

How much do I need to do to have a decent calorie deficit? I’ll never lose the weight at this rate!

I definitely need to exercise more but I’m just not enjoying it...

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Both and neither. I exercise because doing so allows me to be a healthier person than if I didn't, because I like it (for the most part), and the added calories are nice. I swim, bike, and am starting to run. I also begrudgingly do machine weight based things (none of which I track on Garmin Connect or MFP) which help with the swim/bike/run (but mainly bike and run) as well as with rehabbing from surgery.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I exercise for pleasure and for better health. I've never exercised for weight loss.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I can understand this. I'm a dancer. So, I love to dance. I love being active. I love being fit. But, I also struggle with injuries, and that can definitely be a drain and take the fun out of it. I have to rest when I don't want to. I have to choose different exercise from what I want at times. So, sometimes I exercise because I enjoy it, sometimes I pay the price, I do it for fitness, and because (like you said) I need to have a higher energy expenditure to eat the way I'm accustomed to eating for both my health & enjoyment. I have tried to reduce my calories a bit. And I am more active when I can be. Healing injuries is important. What about exploring different activities/exercise. Maybe you can find stuff you like that's gentle on your injuries.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Sorta both, I have a very hard time staying under my calorie goal when I don't exercise, but more then that, I need the exercise for my mental being, otherwise I tend to be a b***ch, which is not good in my job.
    Years ago, I loved working out, I would blow off going out with friends to work out instead, I'm hoping to get that back....
    I find it depends more on what you're doing then how long your going, 20 on the Elliptical burns more calories then 20 on the treadmill with the same effort, at least according to MFP.
    And a deficit is a deficit, if you've got your MFP set up to lose weight, as long as you're at or below that number your good.
  • allmannerofthings
    allmannerofthings Posts: 829 Member
    Neither - I exercise for fitness, health and stress management
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Both!
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    I hate exercising. I do it for strength, endurance and overall health. Eating more is a byproduct of exercise I don't exercise to eat more. I also don't exercise more if I ate too much.
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    I work out for both. I LOVE to eat but exercise helps my mood. I feel so good after a workout. It helps me on bad days.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    I exercise because I enjoy the activity and the fitness. Also -when I work my *kitten* off riding my bike for an hour or two - I really think twice about that donughnut or extra beer. When you see how much work goes into burning say 450calories, it really makes me wonder if that 450 calorie doughnut is worth it. Lastly I truly try to log accurately but my rate of weight loss indicates otherwise. Exercise brings my weight loss into the rate I’m looking for.
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Mfp shows you the right calories. At least it's always worked for me. Honestly if I had my way I'd sit on my butt all day long. I don't enjoy working out, but it does make me feel good after I'm done doing it. And the work I do pays off in my body, and in the way I feel. There are days I don't work out I say darn I'd get to eat more if I had worked out. But for me working out is about feeling better not because I enjoy working out. I have to push myself to work out each day!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Both, I like to eat 2000+ Calories a day and still lose weight and I LOVE the buzz I get after a good run, or tough PT session or crazy insanity class.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Your goal number should be a deficit already so as long as you are around that number you're good. That is assuming your logging is accurate.

I exercise, primarily lifting, for body composition, to help mitigate my clinical depression, and to improve my overall health. I run more when I'm cutting because it suppresses my appetite and gives me more calories to play with. I eat all my exercise calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Emmmie37 wrote: »
    I was an avid runner until injury stopped that. Kinda lost all my motivation to exercise in way, carried on eating like I WAS exercising... and now I’m back logging calories. Gained just under a stone in weight...

I’ve had 3 healthy meals, a few bits of fruit and some nuts today. I went to the gym (circuits class) and have walked around 5 miles.... but I’m only 50 calories under my allowance...

How much do I need to do to have a decent calorie deficit? I’ll never lose the weight at this rate!

I definitely need to exercise more but I’m just not enjoying it...

Not sure what the problem is with being "only 50 calories under"? You want to aim for your calorie allowance. You select your weekly weight loss goal and there is a deficit built into your daily allowance.

You wrote this at 1:22 PM my time. Now, having only 50 calories left at 1 in the afternoon would be a problem for me, cuz I eat until bed. But since you said you've had three meals and snacks, I assume it is later where you are.

I'm thinking UK. Its 6:52 here now.
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    I like the way it makes me feel. It makes me feel stronger and gives me more energy.
    I like what it does for my physique.
    I like that it's a stress reliever.
    I like that it raises my TDEE and allows me to eat more to maintain (or lose).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    I exercise both because I enjoy it and to be able to eat more.

Do you want ways to make the exercise more enjoyable? Was the walking in nature? Did you have a good playlist going? What about podcasts or books on tape?

I like doing maintenance on trails in the woods. I find this really engaging, and I can totally lose track of time when I'm not careful, which is a problem when I'm doing this on my lunch hour.

This time of year I also like to go to a botanical garden and spend a few hours walking around. Will share the link for anyone near Cape Cod or planning to visit: https://heritagemuseumsandgardens.org/gardens/

For next year - it's usually free for mothers on Mothers' Day. I wanted to make it for the rhododendrons this year, but missed it, so am hoping to get there for the day lilies. There's a fee, so I'm usually only there once or twice a year.

There's a state park a few miles away from me that's free, and I live next to conservation land with trails.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    I have always loved to run. I loved sports as a kid, and I'd still play (and will) soccer if I can find a team. I love jogging. Yes, it is hard, and yes, there are many days I feel like I don't want to do it--but the minute I'm doing it, I'm happy. Only recently, seeing how much more I can eat with exercise, have I really started to think about exercise as a way to eat more. I'm sort of not happy about that. I'm afraid I'll start to resent it if I "have to" in order to eat more. This sounds like where you are at.

Remember, if you are 50 under your allowance, you are 50 BELOW your desired deficit. You WILL lose weight even if you truly had only a 50 calorie deficit--but ya, that's take a long time (70 days for 1 pound, to be exact). BUT, you can lose 2 lbs a month with a 250 calorie deficit, so cut into your deficit if you need to.

As for the resentment you seem to be feeling, I'm guessing it's because of your injury and not being able to do what you like--running. IF you will be able to resume running in the future, start now with a new motto: "Injury prevention will drive my training." Unless you are a highly ranked competitive runner, SPEED DOES NOT MATTER. The ability to run day in and day out DOES. I have been running for 40+ years and have never done a race and have never had the desire to do a race. I have never had a long-term injury from regular jogging--my weight gain has created some trouble with my Achilles, and I'm starting back after a break with the new motto. I will not get to the point of running a 3 mile stretch until March 20 of next year, if I stick to the "no more than 10%" rule--and I'm fine with that. I want to be able to run when I'm 90, if God grants me that time. So I am in it for the long haul. I hope you can get back to it and rediscover your joy. Good luck!