Sandwich Thins

Recently, at the grocery store I found out that Orowheat Whole-Wheat Sandwich Thins have changed their recipe and they are now 140cals (vs 100cals).

What are you using for sandwiches? Dave’s Killer Bread?

**Background: I always have eaten a PB&J for lunch, 2 when I was working 12hr shifts. Learning from MFP, my PB&J was 1,030cals!!

I changed my sandwich to using Orowheat Sandwich Thins. That and changing to just 2tbsp of Almond Butter, brought it down to 315cals.

Replies

• hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    try powdered peanut butter like pb2 or pbfit. i eat a 1 slice fold over sandwich for breakfast many mornings. 114 cals
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Arnold's stone ground whole wheat (120cal/2 slices)
    Toufayan whole wheat pocket pita (150cal/pita)
    Thomas bagel thins (110cal/ bagel)
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    I use Nature's Own Honey Wheat 40 cal/slice bread. I eat a pb or pb with banana sandwich every day for my first meal.
  • pandorasbox632000
    pandorasbox632000 Posts: 6 Member
    I use Flatout flat bread and make wraps for lunch.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Natures Own Perfectly Crafted multigrain bread. It's 110 a slice, nut they are thick slices. This is a nice soft bread that has the texture and taste of fresh baked bakery bread. I use 1 slice at a time folded over things. I use it like a hot dog bun for the fancy chicken sausages for a total of under 300 calories or with a couple of tbs of chocolate PB2 reconstituted for a total of 200.

If I really want to limit calories, I use the Xtreme Wellness whole grain tortillas that are 50 cals. You have to read labels and nutrition; they sell several varieties and not all are low cal. They are amazing; they are one of the best tortillas I have ever used in terms of being easy to roll without tearing/crumbling, having good texture and taste. I still use them in maintenance when it would be easy to budget for something with more calories.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited June 2018
    Arnolds changed their recipe too for their thins, which I loved. The new thins are a little larger, but come w/ the extra calories. Lately I've switched over to Natures Own Double Fiber at 50 cal a slice. I think I might try some of the Ezekiel frozen ones, though.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    There was another thread on here when they first changed the recipe because we were all upset, lol. I don't see sandwich thins as comparable to bread, but it seems like they were in your case. There like 20 brands that make bread that are 90-100 calories per two slices. I like them all. Love natures own and sara lee light multigrain or wheat bread (45 a slice).
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Sara Lee mini bagels 100 cals
    Thomas mini bagels 120
    Francisco french loaf 120 cals two slices
    Masada kosher pita 116 per pita
  • KatyCSTinPNW
    KatyCSTinPNW Posts: 28 Member
    There was another thread on here when they first changed the recipe because we were all upset, lol. I don't see sandwich thins as comparable to bread, but it seems like they were in your case. There like 20 brands that make bread that are 90-100 calories per two slices. I like them all. Love natures own and sara lee light multigrain or wheat bread (45 a slice).

Haha! It’s the little things!
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    I love Dave's Killer Bread. I get the thin slices.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Sara Lee Delightful bread. I think it’s 45 calories per slice
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    I use sourdough bread because it just tastes so good. Especially fresh with a nice cripsy crust!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Thomas Light/Whole Grain English Muffins - some are 100 calories, some are 120. I also like their bagel thins.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Aunt Mille also makes a low cal whole grain bread that's 35 cal/slice. What I've been buying for a few years. The low cal Sara Lee tastes better and is probably worth the extra 10 calories but our preferred grocer stopped carrying Sara Lee breads altogether
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member

That and changing to just 2tbsp of Almond Butter, brought it down to 315cals.

I always find this substitution curious. Is it that almonds sound healthier than peanuts? Because peanuts have less calories than almonds AND more protein..
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Make sure you're validating the weight/calories of the bread.

Bread is one of the more notoriously fickle and variable items for calorie estimation.
  • copaceticx292
    copaceticx292 Posts: 6 Member
    Have you tried the Pepperidge Farm Very Thin whole wheat sliced bread? It's definitely very thin, but it's great for people who mostly need the bread as a vector for the sandwich fillings as I tend to. I've found it pretty satisfying at 40 calories per slice.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    My husband likes the Sarah Lee 45 calorie. I usually prefer the wider varieties and fold it in half. Sometimes, an english muffin, sometimes sandwich thins, sometimes pitas.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    That and changing to just 2tbsp of Almond Butter, brought it down to 315cals.

I always find this substitution curious. Is it that almonds sound healthier than peanuts? Because peanuts have less calories than almonds AND more protein..

Sounds like OP was putting a whole bunch of peanut butter, likely using slices of bread that were more like 120cal a slice (so 240 just in bread), and all nut butters add up quick. Using a 100 calorie sandwich thin, and weighing out your nut butter (aren't most 2tsbp servings 190?) and weighing out your jelly... sounds about spot on, actually.