Single parents with a shot of jack

Hey guys I'm a single dad of 3. I'm wondering how yall are able to fit diet and excersize in your busy life tips tricks and so on. The shot of jack is just to calm people down speak open and free cuss if ya have to tell jokes flirt what ever works to help take a load off

Replies

• I couldn't imagine how hard it is without a partner. It's hard enough with 4 kids and two careers. Have a shot of jack for me.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Hello! I don't have any useful advice because mine are big now but wanted to say hello anyway
  • treysdaddy19
    treysdaddy19 Posts: 30 Member
    Hello..is that you in the pic?
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    I have 3 kids as well and I sneak in a workout while they are with the Nanny or bring them to the daycare at my gym, they enjoy it and it gives me a break :)
  • BowieRebel
    BowieRebel Posts: 7 Member
    Depends on their age. I tend to workout when they are at school or take them hiking with me at weekends. When they were smaller, I’d workout when they were napping :)
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    I was a single mom of 2 working full time for 20 years...they are both out of the house now. I bought a stationary bike, put it in the middle of the living room, and pedaled during homework or play time. I cooked large batches and froze in smaller portions so I could have quick balanced meals. I didn't stress about the house cleaning or laundry....it eventually got done somehow, and when it didn't I was ok with it.

I also tried to get exercise in during their activities. Run one to basketball, the other to volleyball or choir and I maybe had 30 minutes in between pickup time for pushups, planks or a jog.

...And I don't think I ever sat down before bedtime. I drank that wine (not jack) standing up working on whatever task needed done.

It's not easy, but the rewards are worth it.
    Raising two kids into adulthood on my own was hardest and *best* thing I've ever done.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    edited June 2018
    I am not a single dad .. but I do spend ALL my free time with her when she is awake and not at school.

I workout when she is asleep .. I run and cycle to work .... I workout during her swimming lesson ... I even workout with her .. it took her 20 mins to row 2k the other day, that was 20mins on lifting for me whilst I supervised her.

I go for bike rides in parks that have workout equipment and we stop for pullups.

and I never EVER turn her down when it comes to a carry

EDIT: .. oh and fair play for being a single Dad ... AND of 3 .. that is some hard work you go going on there, I need support for the times I have to walk away ... you must have the tollerance and patience of a saint dude !
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    I was a single mom of 2 for several years. My exercise saving grace was a 3 level home and the laundry in the basement. It was a built in stair master.

Looking back, I am not sure how I did it all. I think God gave me the power/energy/knowledge/patience to get thru that situation until I got to the point to breathe again.

Stay strong!!!
  • michellebiggar16
    michellebiggar16 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm new to the single parent thing, I have two boys and I'm loving it...I have moments like last night where the only down time I got was by 8 but most days I usually do my work outs in front of telly while watching ellen or one of my housewives shows:-) my workout is either a Gilliam Michaels home workout DVD or a YouTube video I found where you walk three miles in the comforts of ur home..and so far this has been working for me I was 76 KGS at the beginning of this yr and now I'm 69kgs even tho its slow I thinks its healthy weight loss. I have 9 to go hopefully by oct, coz I have a holiday planned to Thai as a singleton B)B)B) shots of jack all round....
  • lisaloumn2
    lisaloumn2 Posts: 203 Member
    the Y, LA Fitness and I believe Lifetime offer child care hours and sometimes joint parent kid classes. I would involve them as much as possible - can they bike while you run? Can you set up a little home gym and have routines for them to participate in as well.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    My daughter is 12 now. I have taken my lunch break at work to head to the gym for quite a few years now. I recently started working out at home after dinner instead. So far it seems to be working out nicely.
    Good luck!
  • hippysprout
    hippysprout Posts: 1,446 Member
    I raised three, and I always felt like that WAS exercise :/ Mine are grown now, but I'll tell you one thing, I dunno how big your kids are but they make pretty good free weights :D
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Mine are all grown up now. What I recall is that time is a premium and self care is critical. If you go down the whole family goes down.

Exercise paradoxically gives you better stamina, if you stick with it. Regular exercise will also help you sleep better. Grab your moments when you can.
    - running around with the kids counts as exercise
    - Use lunch time and office stairs
    - Get off the bus early and walk the rest of the way, or park further away
  • treysdaddy19
    I'm new to the single parent thing, I have two boys and I'm loving it...I have moments like last night where the only down time I got was by 8 but most days I usually do my work outs in front of telly while watching ellen or one of my housewives shows:-) my workout is either a Gilliam Michaels home workout DVD or a YouTube video I found where you walk three miles in the comforts of ur home..and so far this has been working for me I was 76 KGS at the beginning of this yr and now I'm 69kgs even tho its slow I thinks its healthy weight loss. I have 9 to go hopefully by oct, coz I have a holiday planned to Thai as a singleton B)B)B) shots of jack all round....

That's awesome!!!! Keep up the good work. I have resorted to stairs in my house and I do have weights at home but if people don't gallons of milk and soup cans work really well too...keep up the good work
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    I’ve got three kids, work full time and my husband works away. Do not a single mum but by geez it feels like it some days.
    I get up at 4.30 to smash out either a walk or a weight lifting sesh before getting the kids up for school and before I leave for work.
    In the afternoons I try to get the kids outside for some kind of active game. We go hiking about once a month.
  • Wolverine_76
    Wolverine_76 Posts: 4,482 Member
    Did someone say jack
  • george5911
    george5911 Posts: 3,910 Member
    Single dad to 4. Most importantly, I have TONS of support from family, mom and older sister specifically. Diet is easy, I already didn't eat what they like. I get my workouts in at night after the two youngest are in bed. The two oldest are tween-agers so they are self sufficient at that time.
  • treysdaddy19
    Good job brother...looking shred in the pic too! !!
  • beaqthomas
    beaqthomas Posts: 7 Member
    😂