The official nightshift thread....

Replies

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,187 Member
    Lot of cases in tonight. Had a poor puppy that fell off the deck and got stuck between the post and a concrete block. Started vomiting so the owner brought him in. Gut had twisted. Had the new vet do the surgery and the puppy is doing well.
  • sufferlandrian
    Been a rough week with the cases and training a new vet. She is smart and will do well. It's getting there. It's more than a journey. It's a saga. At least it's not trudging or slogging. :smile:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Sometimes getting thrown into the deep end is the best kind of training. I'm glad she's hanging in there!
  • Bill_Keto
    Bill_Keto Posts: 108 Member
    was on a day off and about to go to sleep at 2200 got called in for 0000-08:00. I am going on 24 hrs up straight. worse part is that when I get off shift I have my 1 year old today so no sleep till 18:00 or so when my wife gets back home.
  • gdelrosa
    gdelrosa Posts: 26 Member
    I'm here!
  • jennifer_417
    @Bill_Keto - that's brutal.

@gdelrosa -hi, welcome!
  • sufferlandrian
    Busy day. It's tough when people with true needs don't have the money to afford treatment. It would be nice if everyone was honest and we could just take payments. However, we've been burned for over $30,000 just this year. We'll get half that back by sending people to collections but we shouldn't have to do that. I let the folks from tonight make payments anyway. I'm a sucker for hard luck cases.
  • sufferlandrian
    Sometimes a slow day is nice. :smile:
  • Dead_Mans_Party
    Dead_Mans_Party Posts: 891 Member
    Agreed. Its been quit busy in my line of work lately.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    I feel badly for homeless people and people with low income who have a pet to help with the stress and loneliness - when the pet needs help, where can they turn? @sufferlandrian, karma will pay you back manyfold for your kindnesses.

Moving on to the second interview for an RCMP Detention Guard position tomorrow morning at 9 AM - not my finest hour as I generally work nights, plus I hurt my back and lost my phone in the lake last week. Opiates for sleep overnight, so I hope I come across as ready and competent for whatever they can throw at me. Wish me luck!
  • sufferlandrian
    Good luck!
  • canadjineh
    WooHoo! I've been accepted - just gotta go pick up my stack of paperwork for deeper background check at the detachment tomorrow.
    The third thing (in the run of bad luck) happened to me yesterday. Hubby & I had listened to a radio interview with a woman from a neighbouring town and her son in a convertible who had been hit with a spray of liquid feces that had come from an airplane. https://globalnews.ca/news That was two days ago. Yesterday I was parked at my parents' senior residence for just under 2 hours and when I came out - MY CAR had been 'kitten'bombed. We are on the same flightpath to that airport, and it was just freakish. I have no phone (yet) so I asked the caretaker to photograph the car in case I needed photos, and he kindly offered to wash it off with the gardening hose and sprayer. Then I went to the high power wand coin op wash and did it all over again, but by the time I got home and the car was drier the splash spots could still be easily seen on the paint & glass. Hubby got out big buckets of hot water and scrubbed the car with anti-bac dish soap. It's OK now.
    I talked to Transport Canada today - very nice guy but of course since there was no health or vehicle damage he stated that likely these events will trigger a review of the proper unloading of the poop tanks and making sure that the valve is perfectly sealed when uncoupled. It's all a matter of what's called 'blue ice.'
  • rlpomeroy
    rlpomeroy Posts: 614 Member
    Congrats on the new job... Not so much on the other thing...
  • canadjineh
    ^^^ thanks!
  • sufferlandrian
    I thought they weren't supposed to dump tanks over populated areas? They should have dumped tanks over Hong Kong. No one would have noticed. :frowning:
  • canadjineh
    Hahaha, it's not actually a dump of the tanks, it's just a tiny valve leak that oozes out due to pressure and then freezes at higher altitudes. When there is a loss in altitude (for landing approach or flight path change) temp warmup means the poop-ice melts and drops off the plane. Why they call any ice dropping off the plane 'blue ice,' I have no idea. Suppose it sounds better than brown ice. :s
  • jennifer_417
    @canadjineh - grats on the new job! As for the other: ick.
  • jennifer_417
    So they spring a trainee on me tonight. I don't mind training, but a little advance warning would be nice. A 12-hr shift, one-on-one with a stranger is a lot of mental work for me! Luckily, he was a super nice guy, and I think he'll make a solid guard if they can get him some decent hours.
  • canadjineh
    I like the training part.... but I've mainly trained people who have been on the job with the company for a while (just in other capacities) so I know them fairly well. No 'weirdness' surprises. As for the other job... that depends on my in-depth security pre-interview questionnaires now. It's the same process as if I were to work at NATO, good grief! By the time all the checks and interviews are done it could be from 6-9 months before I actually go on the job with a trainer for the first while.
  • sufferlandrian
    That's not cool springing a trainee on you. Even a days notice would have been nice.