Anyone had success reducing cellulite with collagen supplementation?

I know that there's no cure for cellulite and that losing weight an gaining muscle is the most effective way to reduce the its appearance, but apparently studies of long-term (+6 months) supplementation of collagen show promising results. I was thinking that maybe taking collagen can improve my really bad cellulite - in addition to losing fat and toning muscles. But I don't want to throw away my money either.

Has anyone who takes/took collagen supplements noticed any improvement in regards to cellulite ? If so, what brand of supplements did you take?

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    I use vital proteins unflavored collagen powder for my hair, skin and nails. It doesn't say anything about removing cellulite though. Oooo, I am aware of some collagen pills/supplements that make this claim but I think that's mostly wild marketing claims. Ayup, my nails are much better, no longer breaking. Just checked the label, nothing mentioned about cellulite. Hair, skin, nails.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    edited June 2018
    Mari22na wrote: »
    I use vital proteins unflavored collagen powder for my hair, skin and nails. It doesn't say anything about removing cellulite though. Oooo, I am aware of some collagen pills/supplements that make this claim but I think that's mostly wild marketing claims. Ayup, my nails are much better, no longer breaking. Just checked the label, nothing mentioned about cellulite. Hair, skin, nails.

The collagen supplementation market is unregulated. They're all making wild claims to sell you something. There is no hard scientific evidence to suggest it actually does anything for you, and they're under no obligation to prove that.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited June 2018
    oat_bran wrote: »
    I know that there's no cure for cellulite and that losing weight an gaining muscle is the most effective way to reduce the its appearance, but apparently studies of long-term (+6 months) supplementation of collagen show promising results. I was thinking that maybe taking collagen can improve my really bad cellulite - in addition to losing fat and toning muscles. But I don't want to throw away my money either.

Has anyone who takes/took collagen supplements noticed any improvement in regards to cellulite ? If so, what brand of supplements did you take?

Can you link to these 'studies' please?
  • oat_bran
    oat_bran Posts: 370 Member
    edited June 2018

I was referring to this study. I also remember reading several articles that referred to "promising" research results in regards to supplementation with collagen without links as far as I remember, so I don't know if they referred to the same study or some other ones.
    How exactly do you think collagen would target the structure of the fat below your skin? How would collagen that you ingest and break down travel from your digestive system directly to your cellulite, be reassembled in any meaningful way into human collagen, and target it? If you're eating a balanced diet, you're already getting all of the amino acids your body needs, and your body is prioritizing them for more important things, like your heart and brain. Not your cellulite. Reducing your overall body fat might help reduce it, but for 90% of us, even very fit women, we're just going to have to deal with it. Anyone who tries to convince you otherwise is just trying to sell you something. Don't waste your money.

Cellulite appears mostly due to the weakening of fibrous connective tissue that supports subcutaneous fat. Collagen supplementation has been shown to improve skin elasticity, including the fibrous connective tissue. So it is logical to assume that it may improve the appearance of cellulite as well.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    i rather not throw my money away on hoodoo nonsense.

love me, love my cellulite.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    I've never heard of that as a benefit for cellulite, and I'm more inclined to be skeptical of claims of that nature because they are generally scams. However, I have found that using my foam roller and ball on my legs regularly (for recovery purposes) has made a pretty significant impact on my cellulite so I am no longer completely convinced that cellulite cannot be remedied. I still think you're better off with some strength training and reducing body fat (as appropriate), and just rock whatever you've got. I don't believe most people would look a fit/healthy person and even think twice about some cellulite, it doesn't take away from your beauty or strength.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member

I was referring to this study. I also remember reading several articles that referred to "promising" research results in regards to supplementation with collagen without links as far as I remember, so I don't know if they referred to the same study or some other ones.
    How exactly do you think collagen would target the structure of the fat below your skin? How would collagen that you ingest and break down travel from your digestive system directly to your cellulite, be reassembled in any meaningful way into human collagen, and target it? If you're eating a balanced diet, you're already getting all of the amino acids your body needs, and your body is prioritizing them for more important things, like your heart and brain. Not your cellulite. Reducing your overall body fat might help reduce it, but for 90% of us, even very fit women, we're just going to have to deal with it. Anyone who tries to convince you otherwise is just trying to sell you something. Don't waste your money.

Cellulite appears mostly due to the weakening of fibrous connective tissue that supports subcutaneous fat. Collagen supplementation has been shown to improve skin elasticity, including the fibrous connective tissue. Thus it is logical that it can improve the appeareance of cellulite as well.

Interesting links. Thanks!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    I take collagen for joint health. It has the added benefit of skin, hair and nail growth but I have not seen any change in my cellulite
  • oat_bran

I totally agree. I know it's normal and super common. But I'm just not there yet where I can feel that comfortable with my body. I probably could learn to be ok with a little cellulite, but mine is so bad that I look overweight and unfit even at a healthy weight. I hope that losing more fat and muscle will help, but I also tend to store the most fat around my buttocks and thighs and it's the fat that always comes off the last. I'll probably need to get super lean, before I won't look overweight anymore...
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member

I totally agree. I know it's normal and super common. But I'm just not there yet where I can feel that comfortable with my body. I probably could learn to be ok with a little cellulite, but mine is so bad that I look overweight and unfit even at a healthy weight. I hope that losing more fat and muscle will help, but I also tend to store the most fat around my buttocks and thighs and it's the fat that always comes off the last. I'll probably need to get super lean, before I won't look overweight anymore...

No you don't look "overweight" at a healthy weight. You just think you do. This is your own perception in your mind. I'd work on changing this before I'd work on getting super lean (which can be unhealthy itself).

I am similarly built.
  • oat_bran

No you don't look "overweight" at a healthy weight. You just think you do. This is your own perception in your mind. I'd work on changing this before I'd work on getting super lean (which can be unhealthy itself).

I am similarly built.

Thank you. I'm working on it. But I often feel that it's easier to change my body to match my perception of what is attractive than to change my perception of what is attractive. It seems like cultural beauty standards are deeply ingrained in our minds, on an almost subconscious level. I can constantly tell myself my body is ok and attractive, and understand it on an intellectual level, but I still won'y feel it. But yeah, it's a topic for a different thread, I guess.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member

Cellulite appears mostly due to the weakening of fibrous connective tissue that supports subcutaneous fat. Collagen supplementation has been shown to improve skin elasticity, including the fibrous connective tissue. So it is logical to assume that it may improve the appearance of cellulite as well.

The first two studies were by people who sell collagen products, so it's hard to take their research seriously.

Heavy strength training is said to give good results. Which strength program are you following?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member

I am similarly built.

Thank you. I'm working on it. But I often feel that it's easier to change my body to match my perception of what is attractive than to change my perception of what is attractive. It seems like cultural beauty standards are deeply ingrained in our minds, on an almost subconscious level. I can constantly tell myself my body is ok and attractive, and understand it on an intellectual level, but I still won'y feel it. But yeah, it's a topic for a different thread, I guess.

I think a lot of us go through this. Right now I'm much better at deciding what I like, what is healthy and attractive and not caring so much about "cultural beauty standards". I listen to my husband when he calls me attractive. On social media I follow a lot of fitness personalities that promote positive body image (a lot of them focus on lifting):

Molly Galbraith (Girls gone Strong)
    Annie Brees
    Jennifer Campbell (mamalionstrong)
    James Fell

It takes works but it can be done. It helps to surround yourself with positive people and things. Don't buy the silly magazines that promise cellulite reduction. Go to a pool and look at all the beautiful women who have cellulite. If you keep telling yourself you like your body, eventually you will.