Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is verbal harassment common at the gym? And do women or men catch more of it?

Replies

• nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    edited June 2018
    It's never happened to me and I am substantially overweight.

A couple of witches once made cracks about the outfit my (normal bmi) mom chose to work out in, and that made her feel hurt and angry, but that's the closest to harassment that I've heard of from anyone I know in real life.

BUT that was in a gym around my area that is kind of known as a "meat market". I have never sought a membership there. Something about that kind of environment CAN occasionally bring out the petty in people, in my experience.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i've had a few stares at the gym that made me uncomfortable. i get a little bit more when i'm out running, but i run with two 50ish lb dogs so people don't approach me
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    patrick-swayze.png?w=271&h=379.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    The only thing I've ever seen that looks like verbal harassment is partner motivation, and that's entirely between you and your training partner/spotting buddy.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Creepy staring? Awkward comments? Yeah. Harassment? No. Though I've had disagreements over training methods, but I wouldn't consider that harassment, just some dude being a *kitten*
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited June 2018
    I have never experienced any harassment at the gym ever. I dont pay much attention to others though because I am focused on what I am doing. I dont think people notice me much to be honest. Outside of the gym is another story....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    In and out of various gyms for most of my life...I've never seen, been a part of, or felt harassed ever.
  • RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,162 Member
    Wow lots of bonus questions... this test I just may pass!

1. No, I have never witnessed, participated in, or been a victim of, verbal harassment at my gym.
    2. I think that if something like this happens, the gym staff should address it right away. If they don't address the situation in a timely manner... I would step in and stop it.

The member that is doing the harassment should be asked to leave and membership revoked. Perhaps give the member that was harassed, be given a free month.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Nope. A few catty females who thought I was going to get bulky because I was lifting heavy and not going to their group power class.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    no. thirty years ago women were really not welcome and men were very verbal about it....not now.
  • Chris8122
    Chris8122 Posts: 5 Member
    I have never been harassed. Yes, hit on but they seem to take a polite "no" and then leave you alone. If I witnessed what I thought was harassment I would definitely report it to the manager.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I've not been harassed and haven't witnessed it. I'm not going to comment on how often it happens to others though since I have only lived my own experiences.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    High school weight room, college weight room, local rec center and two for-profit gym memberships. I have never had an issue being harassed, sexually or otherwise.
This discussion has been closed.