Olive oil causing tummy problems

Has anyone experienced extreme bloating and gas in the stomach when consuming olive oil? I have been eating it for a week and my tummy doesn't like it all...am I the only one?

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Are you cooking with it or consuming it straight?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    What are you eating with the olive oil?
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    My son is allergic to olives. Could you have a food allergy, sensitivity or intolerance? Also the gallbladder can cause issues when consuming fats. Maybe avoid it until you can check with your doctor.
  • simply_bubbz
    simply_bubbz Posts: 245 Member
    edited June 2018
    What are you eating with the olive oil?

Im pouring it over my meal prep dishes for lunch and breakfast
  • simply_bubbz

I'm pouring over a tablespoon over each dish I meal prep for breakfast and dinner...I didn't cook with it because I thought it would be hard to consume the entire serving so I poured it over my food instead..do you think that's why it's causing the bloat and gas?
  • simply_bubbz
    edited June 2018
    My son is allergic to olives. Could you have a food allergy, sensitivity or intolerance? Also the gallbladder can cause issues when consuming fats. Maybe avoid it until you can check with your doctor.

I was wondering the same thing but idk...when I cook with the store brand cooking spray I have no issues but I'm not sure if its the olive oil kind
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Maybe eliminate it for a day or so and see how you feel.
  • livingleanlivingclean

I'm pouring over a tablespoon over each dish I meal prep for breakfast and dinner...I didn't cook with it because I thought it would be hard to consume the entire serving so I poured it over my food instead..do you think that's why it's causing the bloat and gas?

What is in your meals? I'd say it's potentially other ingredients that are causing issues
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    It's very possible that your stomach just doesn't like that much oil at a time. Maybe try skipping for a few days, then trying again, to be sure it's the oil. Then skip a few more days, and start with a smaller amount for a while. You can always ease up to more if you want to, and your stomach handles it.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Have you changed other parts of your diet as well or have you just added the oil? Changes in diet of any kind can cause upset stomachs.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I believe the serving size is one teaspoon instead of a tablespoon. I pour a teaspoon over a warm plate of food to get healthy servings of oil. Sometimes I use canola instead
  • simply_bubbz
    The serving size is one tablespoon
  • simply_bubbz
    KateTii wrote: »
    Have you changed other parts of your diet as well or have you just added the oil? Changes in diet of any kind can cause upset stomachs.

I'm doing low carb which isn't really a big change...im eating mainly the same foods just adding oil for the healthy fats..
  • simply_bubbz

What is in your meals? I'd say it's potentially other ingredients that are causing issues

Haven't changed anything but eliminated carbs the meals r the same except I'm adding olive oil
  • simply_bubbz
    Maybe eliminate it for a day or so and see how you feel.

I just added it to my diet last week...didn't feel like this until then so that's how I know it's the oil
  • simply_bubbz
    Momepro wrote: »
    It's very possible that your stomach just doesn't like that much oil at a time. Maybe try skipping for a few days, then trying again, to be sure it's the oil. Then skip a few more days, and start with a smaller amount for a while. You can always ease up to more if you want to, and your stomach handles it.

This is what I may have to do. I just didnt knw if this is common or not..I never would have thought oil would have this effect
  • simply_bubbz

Just one ingredient foods mostly...same things I always eat
  • livingleanlivingclean

Just one ingredient foods mostly...same things I always eat

Have you started eating more fibrous vegetables?