Question About: Activity Level, Hunger, & New Job

kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
So I just started a new (part time) job last week. It's much more physical than I'm used to. Even though I've been working on improving my fitness for the past few months, this first week left me in a lot of pain.

My baseline has been very sedentary for years. I'm a student, and the most exercise I'd regularly get would be walking about 8 minutes from the subway to my class. It's caused me a lot of issues, and when I first started being more active I injured myself doing fairly low-impact things like walking. (In physio for that, don't worry).

Now I've been working on getting about 5 workouts per week consisting of 20-30 minutes of light-moderate effort walking, cycling, and swimming, and one hour-long class of yoga (also quite gentle). In addition to my daily physio exercises that are a mixture of strength and stretches for my legs (where my injuries have been).

I've lost about 20lbs, although I'm still obese. Stats are 5'2'', SW: 205, CW: 184, GW1: 150 GW2: 130.

I work 3-4h and am typically on my feet for the entire time. It is also about an 8 minute walk from transit. My job also includes pushing carts, shelving and carrying small items (always under 2lbs, maybe the lightest isn't even 0.2lbs), and reaching for receipts. I reach (never on my toes, always comfortably) and crouch/squat, and walk short distances repeatedly (eg 10 steps back and forth and back and forth to say a cart to a shelf).

My body is SORE! Especially my upper body, which I have not worked much. But I know that will pass and I'm able to stretch and rest and recover. (I'm still unsure if I should be doing more upper body strength training - eg machines at the gym. I do have another thread detailing what I was doing for a little while about once a week but I didn't implement any of the feedback or even continue with that workout because of how sore I've been). But I do believe I can handle the soreness, and bring that up at physio the next time I go.

My question is focused on: I have been EXTREMELY hungry in the evenings after these shifts. It's only a few days a week, and again only 3-4h per shift. But I feel extreme hunger in the evening. My hunger level does not change earlier in the day or during the shift. I don't feel any ill effects. But several hours after my shift I want to eat EVERYTHING. And I am tired and have very little self control. And it has lasted into for instance the next day where I keep thinking about eating more food and especially high calorie/easy things like cheese and bread and fruit (fruit is fine I guess I'm just eating more of it than is particularly kind to my housemates).

I know that my activity level goes up while working, but I do not think it's gone up enough to excuse/counter the way I've been eating the past few days. You can look through my diary, it's open. But I've been 200+ calories over my goal every day, culminating on Sunday where I was at home (in pain) and just consuming ALL the cheese and bread and fruit in the house, and over my maintenance cals.

(Just in case it's of interest: 1880 is my maintenance, 1750 is 0.5lb/week, 1480 is 1lb/week and my goal, 1230 is 1.5lb/week, and if I wanted to attempt 2lb/week it would be 980 but I don't think I could even consistently try for 1230 it's just too low for me to be functional).

I do have an activity tracker that I do not sync to MFP because they don't communicate correctly (a Misfit Flash). I tried wearing it on my wrist for a shift. But it only gave me about 40 calories extra for my "activity" during my shift. It is quite low. And I'm not in the habit of logging anything but dedicated activity.

My activity tracker has never been very good or accurate in reviews and comparisons. I got it because it was cheap and waterproof so I could track the time I was swimming for, mostly. I haven't normally worn it through the day since I'm not active, and it doesn't detect cycling at all. It can help me with walks because it will tell me how long I was walking for, and my phone doesn't do that. When logging I usually check the MFP database and pick between that and my tracker whichever calorie count is lowest and go with that. Not the most scientific method.

I guess I was wondering if there are strategies people use to know how much a general activity level change might be and how to feel less hungry from being more "active". Any suggestions are welcome, I'd really like to not blow all my progress but I am concerned because I just feel so dang hungry on those days and the day after (today I feel normal, my last shift was 2 days ago).

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited June 2018
    Don't look at your calories on a daily basis look at them weekly. You were under some days which will offset some of the days you were over. The one day you were over your maintenance will not cause you to gain weight because looking at it weekly you were in a deficit.

It has only been a week so it would be unwise to react with any changes. This could require some changes but it could also be an isolated event because of the physical and mental stress of starting a new job. Sometimes you have to give yourself some flexibility in your diet to deal with just living life and the situations that will arise. In other words, try to relax.

I would give it another week or two to see if it works itself out before looking to change anything.

When you are feeling hungry I would try eating more protein to see if that satisfies you longer. You might even want to eat something after your shift to see it keeps you from getting so hungry a few hours later.

Someone else might be able to help you with any fitness tracker questions. I don't own one.
  • kiela64
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Don't look at your calories on a daily basis look at them weekly. You were under some days which will offset some of the days you were over. The one day you were over your maintenance will not cause you to gain weight because looking at it weekly you were in a deficit.

It has only been a week so it would be unwise to react with any changes. This could require some changes but it could also be an isolated event because of the physical and mental stress of starting a new job. Sometimes you have to give yourself some flexibility in your diet to deal with just living life and the situations that will arise. In other words, try to relax.

I would give it another week or two to see if it works itself out before looking to change anything.

When you are feeling hungry I would try eating more protein to see if that satisfies you longer. You might even want to eat something after your shift to see it keeps you from getting so hungry a few hours later.

Someone else might be able to help you with any fitness tracker questions. I don't own one.

Thank you. Perhaps it's a bit of an overreaction. I'm still in a deficit but my average calories for the past week are closer to the 0.5lb/week mark, which is still over my goal. Not too bad though, I see your point. I felt very emotional about it yesterday, it felt like I was failing and all of my bad behaviours were right around the corner because I'd been slipping up worse and worse for days. Today I thought I had more distance, but maybe not enough to be completely rational.

It's true, I do feel less hungry when I get more protein. I might just try to focus more on that a little. It's something I'm working on anyway. Eating more protein doesn't come naturally to me. I don't crave it, but I do feel better when I eat it.
  • gophermatt
    gophermatt Posts: 129 Member
    Sounds like DOMS for your upper body, which can be really uncomfortable but typically passes quickly. Keep an eye on it to be sure you’re sore and not injured- that’s a whole other thing, as you know.

There is an activity level setting in MFP that you can set that will adjust your calorie goals. If you were losing weight at a particular number while sedentary, the increase in activity means you either need to eat more to maintain the same pace, or your loss may speed up (this can be fine or it can be a problem depending on your prior rate of loss).

As for the activity tracker, they can be great, I have one and use the data to help me know if I’m moving enough. It’s not required, though. If you go down the tracker path there are giant threads with great info on using it correctly. Some people feel the calorie burn estimates are better if you get one that tracks heart rate.

One other solve is to log the activity manually as exercise in MFP. Be careful doing this, as the burn numbers are obviously estimated, and may vary quite a bit. Good luck on your journey!
  • kiela64
    edited June 2018
    gophermatt wrote: »
    Sounds like DOMS for your upper body, which can be really uncomfortable but typically passes quickly. Keep an eye on it to be sure you’re sore and not injured- that’s a whole other thing, as you know.

There is an activity level setting in MFP that you can set that will adjust your calorie goals. If you were losing weight at a particular number while sedentary, the increase in activity means you either need to eat more to maintain the same pace, or your loss may speed up (this can be fine or it can be a problem depending on your prior rate of loss).

As for the activity tracker, they can be great, I have one and use the data to help me know if I’m moving enough. It’s not required, though. If you go down the tracker path there are giant threads with great info on using it correctly. Some people feel the calorie burn estimates are better if you get one that tracks heart rate.

One other solve is to log the activity manually as exercise in MFP. Be careful doing this, as the burn numbers are obviously estimated, and may vary quite a bit. Good luck on your journey!

Thank you! Yeah it’s definitely soreness. But it is very overwhelming during & the next day. Took me about 48h to be functional again lol. My legs get sore differently because they’ve been injured. I’m better at telling them apart now that I was.

I know from previous experience that the database doesn’t include walking under a 2.0mph speed. Which is my moderate/quick pace. If I absolutely book it I can get 2.5-3.0 but never over long stretches. If I could I’d log it as extremely slow walking but there isn’t an entry for that. And even halving or quartering the time and using the 2.0mph would be off too. 1h of 2.0mph walking is still like nearly 300cal. It can’t be that much can it?

Idk I may have to slow my rate of loss even more by eating at maintenance or 0.5lbs on work days. Like even if I’m burning about the same as a 25minute walk (about 90cal), I don’t think it would be very much of a difference. If I wasn’t so hungry I’d probably take the probably like 0.0125lb/week faster loss. I was losing at 1lb/week.

I’ll try going through the activity tracker threads for info, but I won’t sync it. They don’t communicate correctly. the tracker gives me an estimated total TDEE (that is vastly, vastly overestimated even when I don’t work out it gives me like over 2000 which I will absolutely gain weight if I eat) and syncs that number to MFP as “calories from exercise” so I end up with my goal plus this overestimated TDEE. Which is super high and very wrong lol.

I’m also very skeptical of changing my MFP activity level because it’s only 3 days a week I’m working here, and only 4h shifts. If it was daily 7h then I would.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    https://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-weight-loss/a20843760/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn/

Don't worry about speed, just figure out approximate distance and use that.

For the hunger, try a snack sized bag of nuts. Either just before or just after your shift. Or maybe a half PB sandwich. protein/fat tend to help with hanger/runger.
  • kiela64
    https://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-weight-loss/a20843760/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn/

Don't worry about speed, just figure out approximate distance and use that.

For the hunger, try a snack sized bag of nuts. Either just before or just after your shift. Or maybe a half PB sandwich. protein/fat tend to help with hanger/runger.

Thank you, I actually do eat a quarter cup of peanuts before my shift. I don’t feel hungry during/after but maybe 4h later I will not feel full unless I overeat...
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    kiela64 wrote: »
    So I just started a new (part time) job last week. It's much more physical than I'm used to. Even though I've been working on improving my fitness for the past few months, this first week left me in a lot of pain.

My baseline has been very sedentary for years. I'm a student, and the most exercise I'd regularly get would be walking about 8 minutes from the subway to my class. It's caused me a lot of issues, and when I first started being more active I injured myself doing fairly low-impact things like walking. (In physio for that, don't worry).

Now I've been working on getting about 5 workouts per week consisting of 20-30 minutes of light-moderate effort walking, cycling, and swimming, and one hour-long class of yoga (also quite gentle). In addition to my daily physio exercises that are a mixture of strength and stretches for my legs (where my injuries have been).

I've lost about 20lbs, although I'm still obese. Stats are 5'2'', SW: 205, CW: 184, GW1: 150 GW2: 130.

I work 3-4h and am typically on my feet for the entire time. It is also about an 8 minute walk from transit. My job also includes pushing carts, shelving and carrying small items (always under 2lbs, maybe the lightest isn't even 0.2lbs), and reaching for receipts. I reach (never on my toes, always comfortably) and crouch/squat, and walk short distances repeatedly (eg 10 steps back and forth and back and forth to say a cart to a shelf).

My body is SORE! Especially my upper body, which I have not worked much. But I know that will pass and I'm able to stretch and rest and recover. (I'm still unsure if I should be doing more upper body strength training - eg machines at the gym. I do have another thread detailing what I was doing for a little while about once a week but I didn't implement any of the feedback or even continue with that workout because of how sore I've been). But I do believe I can handle the soreness, and bring that up at physio the next time I go.

My question is focused on: I have been EXTREMELY hungry in the evenings after these shifts. It's only a few days a week, and again only 3-4h per shift. But I feel extreme hunger in the evening. My hunger level does not change earlier in the day or during the shift. I don't feel any ill effects. But several hours after my shift I want to eat EVERYTHING. And I am tired and have very little self control. And it has lasted into for instance the next day where I keep thinking about eating more food and especially high calorie/easy things like cheese and bread and fruit (fruit is fine I guess I'm just eating more of it than is particularly kind to my housemates).

I know that my activity level goes up while working, but I do not think it's gone up enough to excuse/counter the way I've been eating the past few days. You can look through my diary, it's open. But I've been 200+ calories over my goal every day, culminating on Sunday where I was at home (in pain) and just consuming ALL the cheese and bread and fruit in the house, and over my maintenance cals.

(Just in case it's of interest: 1880 is my maintenance, 1750 is 0.5lb/week, 1480 is 1lb/week and my goal, 1230 is 1.5lb/week, and if I wanted to attempt 2lb/week it would be 980 but I don't think I could even consistently try for 1230 it's just too low for me to be functional).

I do have an activity tracker that I do not sync to MFP because they don't communicate correctly (a Misfit Flash). I tried wearing it on my wrist for a shift. But it only gave me about 40 calories extra for my "activity" during my shift. It is quite low. And I'm not in the habit of logging anything but dedicated activity.

My activity tracker has never been very good or accurate in reviews and comparisons. I got it because it was cheap and waterproof so I could track the time I was swimming for, mostly. I haven't normally worn it through the day since I'm not active, and it doesn't detect cycling at all. It can help me with walks because it will tell me how long I was walking for, and my phone doesn't do that. When logging I usually check the MFP database and pick between that and my tracker whichever calorie count is lowest and go with that. Not the most scientific method.

I guess I was wondering if there are strategies people use to know how much a general activity level change might be and how to feel less hungry from being more "active". Any suggestions are welcome, I'd really like to not blow all my progress but I am concerned because I just feel so dang hungry on those days and the day after (today I feel normal, my last shift was 2 days ago).

if 1880 is your maintenance to lose a 1/2 lb a week would be 1630 calories(not 1750 as a half lb is 250 calories deficit).1 lb(500 calorie deficit) would be 1380,and 1 1/2 lbs(750 calorie deficit) would be 1130 calories(
  • kiela64
    kiela64 wrote: »

if 1880 is your maintenance to lose a 1/2 lb a week would be 1630 calories(not 1750 as a half lb is 250 calories deficit).1 lb(500 calorie deficit) would be 1380,and 1 1/2 lbs(750 calorie deficit) would be 1130 calories(

Oh wow that’s a big difference thank you! Math isn’t my strong suit. Yikes that means I’m even more over than I thought....bleh. Oh well.