Obese, starting to exercise but in so much pain

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Zumba hurts my knees also! Walk daily and measure your meal portions. You'll feel better and lose weight.

Watching Zumba hurts my knees.

Get better shoes, If you're going to walk/run seriously, get fitted for some proper shoes.
  • RollTideHusker
    RollTideHusker Posts: 231 Member
    Everyone has given great advice. So I’ll just mention soaking in a hot bath with Epsom Salt has helped me in the past with some of the pain. I get the water as hot as I can stand it.

Do what you can. It’s a long road but very well worth it!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited May 2018
    When I started, I also had a lot of joint issues and couldn't do much weight-bearing exercise. I could barely walk around the block. I focused on accurate calorie counting and bought a sturdy recumbent stationary bike. It's one of the best purchases I've ever made. Even after losing close to 70 lbs, it was still one of my favorite cardio activities. Later, I added Leslie Sansone walking workouts, which are basically very low-impact aerobics and allowed me to use more muscle groups than just walking alone. Just go easy, because as has been said, the last thing you want is an injury that incapacitates you altogether. At your size, this is a multi-year project (a lifelong project when you factor in maintenance), so slow & steady wins the race. :)

Here's a link to the bike I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Marcy-Recumbent-Exercise-Resistance-ME-709/dp/B002KV1MJU/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1527773222&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=marcy+recumbent+exercise+bike+me-709&psc=1
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Lots of great advice here.

There is more than one kind of pain. Muscle pain the day after I associate as “progress”. This consequence can be reduced by warming up beforehand and stretching afterwards. In a few days I’ll be stronger.

However if there are no rest days the muscles have no time to recover.

Joint pain I associate with “danger” and stop right away. Trying to work through the pain could delay recovery by months. My physiotherapist taught me to modify Zumba to low impact moves. Knees are replaceable these days but it’s darn inconvenient.

Yup, I hurt my knees in 2010 and tried to work through the pain, and so still have to baby them now, 8 years later. My PT gave me these, which I do several times per week:

vmrpdghku97o.jpg

This is one of the most helpful illustrations I have seen on MFP. As a knee pain sufferer, I will truly try them out.

As an added note to OP, I can tell you that the knee pain WILL get better with weight loss. I lost a lot of weight in 2012-2013. The difference was amazing for the pain in my knees. Unfortunately, like so many others, I gained back about 1/2 of the weight I lost and am back, and so is the knee pain. Fourteen pounds down since 4/30/18 and there is a noticeable difference already.
  • gesundundmunter
    gesundundmunter Posts: 212 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Lots of great advice here.

There is more than one kind of pain. Muscle pain the day after I associate as “progress”. This consequence can be reduced by warming up beforehand and stretching afterwards. In a few days I’ll be stronger.

However if there are no rest days the muscles have no time to recover.

Joint pain I associate with “danger” and stop right away. Trying to work through the pain could delay recovery by months. My physiotherapist taught me to modify Zumba to low impact moves. Knees are replaceable these days but it’s darn inconvenient.

Yup, I hurt my knees in 2010 and tried to work through the pain, and so still have to baby them now, 8 years later. My PT gave me these, which I do several times per week:

vmrpdghku97o.jpg

I also do these in between weight lifting sets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=yLoMA7I7HOQ&feature=youtu.be

@Sweet_Misery_ while it would be best to consult a doctor, you could probably start the printed exercises soon, but be careful with the video as it is more intense, especially if done all the way through, which I only did once as I had pain afterwards. I'm a yoga teacher and recommend skipping Tree Pose for now.

I do three of these PT exercises every morning, almost 3 yrs after hip replacement. Didn't realize they were good for knees also. Will incorporate the isometric one, too.
  • IamRoyallTee
    IamRoyallTee Posts: 1 Member
    Not to beat a dead horse, but I 2nd all of the people that said swimming, or take the exercise to the pool. It has been my saving grace.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    The pool is where I started and I continue to swim upstream. Chlorine is my perfume. Just keep swimming. No matter how slow you go you're still lapping everyone on the couch. B)
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Sounds like you are overdoing it. Let your body tell you what it needs. When it hurts, it's telling you that it needs to rest a little. It's better to work up to vigorous exercise at a slower pace. Your body will adjust, but maybe not as quickly as you would like. My knees got arthritis when I was in my 50s. By the time I was 55, I had had 3 arthroscopic surgeries to clean out calcium floaters. At 56, I had my first knee replacement surgery. It could be an early warning sign for you to slow down a little.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,286 Member
    lose your weight by counting calories and eating healthy foods. you can exercise agressive later down the line. i've actually lost more easily just with diet, than combining diet and exercise. if you do exercise..go for slow walks..as you lose initial weight. you'll be shocked at how aches and pains go away. IT is the most encouraging and motivating thing that happens early on in the weight loss journey.
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    I started out at 263, I am now 200 and I did that through diet only. I have recently added in weight lifting. I can say that at about 215 my knee pain disappeared! My plan is as soon as my number goes below 200 I'll add in walking with more weight training, but I'm keeping all excersize tailored to slower and easier until I build up stamina. If I would have tried walking a mile just 6 mnths ago I would have blown out my knees! Take it easy and start small maybe, sounds like you are pushing your knees too hard
  • candilc9
    candilc9 Posts: 21 Member
    Try to look for some low impact workout routines they involve the arms and are easy on the knees, or modify the moves that bother your needs. Whatever you do, just keep moving! If a move is hurting your joints, walk in place on those parts.
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    I swim and elliptical. I also walk a lot, but on sand or grass, and no jogging. Swimming in particular really helped me last year when I was at my highest weight (203.6) and having joint pain.

Hope this happens for you too - I found just a few weeks of a healthy diet and moderate exercise decreased the inflammation and tenderness in my knees quite a bit.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    @Sweet_Misery_

I am going to tell you something that anyone into lifting and/or running knows. REST DAYS are part of the program. Your body need time to rest, heal up, and recover.

When starting out, work out every other day. As you progress, you still need at least one day a week as a day.

While it may seem better to workout everyday, it's not. You'll do a lot better starting at 3x per week for a while.

Also there is a very true saying: "You cannot out train a bad diet". Body goals are 90% nutrition, 10% exercises. Focus more on getting the nutriets your body needs (some variance depending on person and goals), and slowly incorporate an exercise program into your life.
  • gophermatt
    gophermatt Posts: 129 Member
    Zumba can be pretty fun, makes the time go by way faster than some other cardio methods.

Some instructors can show alternate steps or mov s that raise or lower intensity. Might be worth asking the instructors if there are modifications that might help.

I hope your thoughts spend a great deal more time thinking about the positive changes you’re in the process of making than the negative self-talk about how you got to the place you want to leave.

No matter what decisions you make about exercise and way of eating within your calorie budget there are going to be times when you make a mistake. It was key for me to learn to forgive myself for those and focus on the next positive steps I would take. Be kind to yourself, you’re worth it!
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    I agree with the advice about seeking low impact activity. I think sore muscles the next day is a great sign your exercise is doing something, but sore joints is a red flag that it's not suitable for your body right now. OP, you can also try to build up activity slowly, for example, start with a five minute walk, and slowly add more minutes as you feel your knees can take it. Yoga has been a godsend for my joints.

As you lose weight, your joints will thank you, so please don't give up :) I also agree about the rest days, especially in the early days.
  • Kandisn29
    Kandisn29 Posts: 92 Member
    Low impact exercises for sure. Stationary bike, Pilates, elliptical, yoga. Then you will be ready to do high impact before you know it! :)