Food weighing

Hi guys just wanted to know how do people weigh there food before or after cooking ie things like pasta chicken veg potatoes? Cheers all

Replies

• gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    I weigh before cooking. The pasta package usually indicates that. Any oils or butter added is also measured. If you weigh raw, use the raw entries in the database.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    Normally raw weight, it's more consistent, because when you have cooked things their weight will change where they have absorbed or lost moisture during the cooking process.

Check the labels in any case, it will normally state whether it is dry/cooked or raw/cooked.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Most ingredients are weighed before cooking and use the database entry for uncooked. For a few select ingredients where the information is for the cooked product (such as bacon), weigh as cooked and use the entry for cooked.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    If I'm just making one portion, I weigh raw/dry/pre cooking. When I'm making meals in bulk i weigh before and after so I know how much each cooked/prepared portion should weigh.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    If I'm just making one portion, I weigh raw/dry/pre cooking. When I'm making meals in bulk i weigh before and after so I know how much each cooked/prepared portion should weigh.

when i do this - i have a recipe that is like lunch chicken...i enter it as raw weight and adjust serving size to cooked weight
  • richardgillingham86
    richardgillingham86 Posts: 10 Member
    Ok cheers guys mainly asking as I have wife and kids that eat evening meal with me so can't really cool separate veg etc so all goes in pans and gets weighed after its Cooked otherwise I'd need loads of pans lol