Banana Sushi Rant

Has anyone else been seeing that "banana sushi" recipe vid floating about on MFP? My question is : why is it even here? It is a banana rolled in a tortilla smothered in peanut butter, sprinkled with coconut and sliced into bite size "sushi". The whole thing is close to 600 calories and the "serving size" (like anyone is going to eat half a rolled up tortilla and chuck the rest) is about the same calories as a regular mars bar.

i.e. 2 mars bars for the whole thing.

Also, what is this recipe supposed to be? A snack? A meal replacement? All I know is that eating that would use up a heck of a lot of my calories for the day.

I just feel that if a recipe has one of the "buzz" ingredients in it (a nut butter, avocado, even protein powders), then the message is "eat away...it's impossible to overdo them - they are good fats, they are satiating". But it really, REALLY isn't impossible to overdo it. In fact, it is super easy (And BTW: calling it "sushi" doesn't fool me either).

Similarly, seeing those Avocado Toasts recipes for under 300 calories posts. What serving size are they using? I get to the professed calorie per serving calculation at the bread stage + the first ingredient...and that's BEFORE a huge great avocado has been mashed on top, along with bacon and nuts and all sorts of other "so good for you they don't count" foods. An avocado itself is usually over 200 calories. They seem to stuff a lot of other ingredients in for the next 100. I don't think the pictures reflect the recipes.

It just gets on my nerves. By all means, if these foods are within your calorie count and you enjoy them and they work for you - then great. However, I feel a lot of these recipes are made to be "Instagram Ready" rather than actually being helpful. Good eating isn't always about acai and macca and chia seeds. Quite often it's about enjoying a bit of veg...y'know, boring veg like cabbage and broccoli and eating beans that are the colour of dishwater and taste really good, but just don't happen to get a lot of "likes" when you post them up, cos let's face it - beans and lentils look rubbish.

Anyway - that's my rant. Now, let me take cover before everyone tells me how nut butters and avocado changed their lives.

Replies

• StopTheGroundhog
    StopTheGroundhog Posts: 53 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I have a problem with them calling that sushi.thats not sushi that’s a banana wrapped in a tortilla!! Lol

YESSSSSSS!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I have not actually seen the recipe.
    I like banana and peanut butter together and will smear a weighed portion of peanut butter on a banana occasionally for breakfast or a snack. I'd skip the other things because it is too much work and calories.
  • StopTheGroundhog
    StopTheGroundhog Posts: 53 Member
    It soubds amazing now you've described what's in it!

True - compared to what banana sushi could have been describing....doesn't bear thinking about really.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I just feel that if a recipe has one of the "buzz" ingredients in it (a nut butter, avocado, even protein powders), then the message is "eat away...it's impossible to overdo them - they are good fats, they are satiating". But it really, REALLY isn't impossible to overdo it. In fact, it is super easy (And BTW: calling it "sushi" doesn't fool me either).

Similarly, seeing those Avocado Toasts recipes for under 300 calories posts. What serving size are they using? I get to the professed calorie per serving calculation at the bread stage + the first ingredient...and that's BEFORE a huge great avocado has been mashed on top, along with bacon and nuts and all sorts of other "so good for you they don't count" foods. An avocado itself is usually over 200 calories. They seem to stuff a lot of other ingredients in for the next 100. I don't think the pictures reflect the recipes.

Oh my god, I love you for this.

If my coworker tries to shove another half avocado down my throat while proclaiming that "it's a healthy fat!" then I'm gonna puke. I've counted my calories for the day. I don't have room for another 100+ calories and I don't want to just eat half a freaking avocado GROSS.

Also, in what universe would anything involving a tortilla be called sushi? We invented banana nutella crepes a long time ago; if you're gonna eat a dessert, just eat one of those.

And crepes are lower in calories than a tortilla to boot.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    I will confess that I tried it for lunch one day, just out of curiosity (no coconut because I didn't have any.) But I love peanut butter and banana sandwiches, so why not? Let me tell you, these people must get bananas with no significant curve in them, because mine was a mess. But it was a fun and tasty mess, so I count it a win!

LMFAO!!!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    On second thought, I would support this ingredient combo on the condition that it was made like a quesadilla instead of like sushi. In other words, instead of rolling and slicing fold it over and toast in a skillet it with some butter before eating (and maybe some sugar, too).
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    On second thought, I would support this ingredient combo on the condition that it was made like a quesadilla instead of like sushi. In other words, instead of rolling and slicing fold it over and toast in a skillet it with some butter before eating (and maybe some sugar, too).

Hmm... that does sound good
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i love banana/peanut butter quesadilla-dip in honey instead of cheese, or melted chocolate
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Oh man, I love those. But there's no denying they're pretty high in calories. Using PB2 instead of peanut butter helps a lot. A sprinkle of cinnamon takes it up a notch too.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    I will confess that I tried it for lunch one day, just out of curiosity (no coconut because I didn't have any.) But I love peanut butter and banana sandwiches, so why not? Let me tell you, these people must get bananas with no significant curve in them, because mine was a mess. But it was a fun and tasty mess, so I count it a win!

I just bend the banana until it cracks a bit and becomes straight, then I proceed with the tortilla wrapping. :)