Dirty problems..

FL_Hiker
FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
edited June 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
e6pvwhx522e9.jpg
I love running with my big 90 lb Swiss shepherd! However I don't like running with his poops!! Law here says you must bag your poops, so I usually bag them and pick them up on the way home so I don't have to carry them for miles. However I've noticed my neighbors keep taking them (weird problem right?)! I'm not sure if they think I'm not going to pick them up or what lol... anyone else run with a big dog? What do you do with the poops? Unfortunately my big guy is a 2-3 full poop bag kind of guy and he goes in random spots when we run.
Thanks

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    If there are no trash cans available, I will leave it like you do and grab it on my way back.

I do notice on my walks that some poop bags are left for someone else to pick up. I don’t get this at all. The same as someone who chucks their cigarette out their car window. Ugh
  • FL_Hiker
    edited June 2018
    AJB1014 wrote: »
    Will he wear a harness or doggie daypack? If so he could carry his own poops! Handsome dog!
    Haha love it! Will have to see if I can find one thanks!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2018
    I try not to let her poop. She can go in our yard where I don’t have to pick it up lol. I do stop here and there so she can sniff and pee but I try to keep it to a minimum. I hate picking up her poop. So gross.
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I try not to let her poop. She can go in our yard where I don’t have to pick it up lol. I do stop here and there so she can sniff and pee but I try to keep it to a minimum. I hate picking up her poop. So gross.

Me too. I try to wait until my dogs have pooped before I go out. It doesn't always work out! My staffy loves to take a big dump on other people's freshly mown lawns! Argh! Lucky they're cute, isn't it?
  • FL_Hiker
    Lol mine doesn't like to poop in his own yard!!! Which is okay with me... our yard is more of a garden and we don't have grass, so it would be pretty gross if he did always go on flowers!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Maybe talk to your neighbors and tell them why you are not cleaning it up immediately and that you do intend to. Maybe they'd be okay with you leaving the poop bag on the lawn to pick up on your return if they know that is what you will do.
    Maybe they are not okay with that but would be okay with you using their trash can.
    If it all bothers them then I think you should stop your dog pooping in their yards or carry the poop away with you immediately even if you don't want to because it is your dog and that is part of having a dog. Maybe get the pooping done and carry the poop bags home and then go for the run.

Your dog looks really happy and fun!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    I would do the harness thing. You could also print out a page that says, "I'll pick this up on my way back" - you know, print that 75 times, print it, cut it and put it on the bag.

I would be pretty annoyed if I saw a neighbor leaving a bag - I would pick it up too. If you can't/won't carry it, leave it with a note.
  • FL_Hiker
    edited June 2018
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Maybe talk to your neighbors and tell them why you are not cleaning it up immediately and that you do intend to. Maybe they'd be okay with you leaving the poop bag on the lawn to pick up on your return if they know that is what you will do.
    Maybe they are not okay with that but would be okay with you using their trash can.
    If it all bothers them then I think you should stop your dog pooping in their yards or carry the poop away with you immediately even if you don't want to because it is your dog and that is part of having a dog. Maybe get the pooping done and carry the poop bags home and then go for the run.

Your dog looks really happy and fun!

Our dog isn't pooping in their yards... we live in a tiny neighborhood that's just a dead end so we walk on the public trails and areas that are just wilderness and I'll bag it and leave it on the side. Those neighbors just happen to walk the same way and pick it up lol. Their trash can is completely out of the way in the neighborhood and there's no trash cans on the way here. I would literally have to walk past my own house to get to their trash can.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Not all the responsibilities of being a pet owner are fun. I carry it. Many of our trails have receptacles along the way.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    I'm team have the dog carry it. A harness or dog backpack. That's what I did with our border collie.
  • FL_Hiker
    Not all the responsibilities of being a pet owner are fun. I carry it. Many of our trails have receptacles along the way.

Our trails don't all have receptacles along the way. I don't mind picking it up, hence why I bag it instead of being a bad owner and just leaving it... but have you tried running with three full bags of shepherd poo slinging everywhere? It gets messy... real quick lol.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    On my dog walk today, someone left their trash can out from yesterday and I dropped my dog’s poopy bag in their can. Sorry neighbor. :#
  • FL_Hiker
    On my dog walk today, someone left their trash can out from yesterday and I dropped my dog’s poopy bag in their can. Sorry neighbor. :#

lol I'm pretty sure that's actually illegal , at least here! Some stupid tampering with property or something . There's no houses on these trails so I never have that option
  • FL_Hiker
    edited June 2018
    Nadspee wrote: »
    You have good intentions and a logical reason for leaving it (and a super cute puppo!) but to an outsider (and probably your neighbors) you're just a random person leaving bags of poop laying around and that's weird and gross. You should find a trash can along your route. If there really are absolutely no bins for miles, write your local government asking them to install doggie waste stations along your trail. They're cheap and benefit the entire community. If you don't want to do that then you should just carry it. I've honestly never heard of anyone leaving poop bags and coming back for them before.

Also... you know your neighbors are picking up the bags but you keep leaving them anyway? How do you think that makes them feel?

I just realized today. At first I thought I was forgetting or something or going crazy. I mean who steals dog poop?? They're nice people but I'm not really sure of the intentions. Try running with three full bags of poop, it's gross!