What's your go to recipe when you don't feel like cooking?

Replies

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    protein smoothie
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,977 Member
    aeloine wrote: »
    I get the salad kits from Walmart when I don't want to cook. The "Family" sized Caesar salad is only 480 calories.

A salad "kit"? Never have I ever :D I guess that's just chopped salad stuff and a pouch of dressing?

If it is like salad kits that you get here - yes, measured cut up amount of salad things with pouch of dressing and sometimes pouches of dry ingredients ( eg mini croutons) to mix in just before eating
  • Nadspee
    Nadspee Posts: 79 Member
    A cup of instant rice with a scrambled egg and green onion cooked together in a frying pan then topped off with ketchup. Sometimes I'll add chorizo or canadian bacon to it too if I have it. Totals about 350 calories. Not bad at all for a 5 minute meal that tastes remarkably like Chinese take-out!
  • Candy0928
    Candy0928 Posts: 20 Member
    1: Chipotle. Their nutritional values are listed, and their portion sizes are very consistent which makes for easy counting (they'll package some of the toppings in 4 oz portion cups if asked nicely).

2. Shrimp. I keep a bag of shrimp. They're versatile, high-protein/low-fat and defrost quickly. I usually pair them with...

3. Food-prepped staples: Brown rice, quinoa, broccoli, sauteed vegetables or salad ingredients. We try to do a full meal prep each week, but when we can't, we at least prepare the previously listed items...
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    I've got a much higher tolerance for cooking so my typical "lazy" meal is some baked sweet-n-savory salmon with steamed broccoli and rice. I've got a rice cooker with a built-in steamer so making the rice and broccoli is dead simple. The salmon is usually some fresh salmon, placed on an aluminum foil covered baking sheet greased with low-grade olive oil, coated in either jarred teriyaki sauce or an equal parts olive oil/coarse ground mustard/honey marinade, and then baked for 20 minutes at 425F. Sometimes I'll swap chicken thigh pieces for salmon.

This might be a lot of work for a "lazy" meal to some, but my typical weekday meals usually involve quite a bit more effort (at least for the prep) than this so it seems pretty lazy to me.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    If I only have to cook for myself, I'll "fry" a few eggs in a few tablespoons of salsa and greens (if I have them on hand), and either add half a can of black beans or eat it with toast. It's my all-time favorite lazy meal. If my spouse is home I'll either grab a stir-fry kit from the freezer (like Birds Eye Select Voila! Garlic Shrimp) that only takes about 15 minutes and average about 350 calories for half the bag, if I add more frozen shrimp or a slice or two of Dave's bread it makes for a very filling meal.
  • iqnmfp
    iqnmfp Posts: 42 Member
    Shrimp stir fry. I keep fully cooked shrimp in the freezer. I just dump 6 ounces in a pan with a bag of frozen veggies, simmer for like ten minutes, throw in two bags of shirataki noodles, pour into a big bowl and drizzle some stir fry sauce over it.

Yes! Shrimp is so easy and quick to make! It's done in literally 5 minutes (the cooked kind!)
  • emcclure013
    emcclure013 Posts: 231 Member
    I'm a big fan of wraps. Deli meat with a bunch of lettuce and tomato makes an easy meal. If I'm really feeling ambitious on a lazy night I'll fry up some egg whites and put them on a tortilla with some salsa and cheese for a breakfast burrito. Or just a smear of peanut butter on a tortilla heated in the microwave until it's warm and melty. Super easy and lazy.
  • getfitwith_aish
    getfitwith_aish Posts: 44 Member
    Eggs, eggs and eggs. :) If very hungry, I just make an omelette. If I have 20 mins, then I make a batch of egg muffins - whip eggs, onions, zucchini/tomato and add to muffin trays. Thank me later ;)
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    Can of soup with a tuna sandwich.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,155 Member
    Grub Hub.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    If you’re going to the grocery store anyhow...fresh pasta (short cook time) with a refrigerated pasta sauce (pesto? Whatever appeals) and already cooked chicken from the rotisserie bar (add cooked sliced chicken breast in that pasta). Most grocery stores these days have a fine assortment of “takeout” meals that just need to be reheated.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I usually do a veggie or turkey burger or packaged lentils and pita bread. Both take less than 10 minutes.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Cream of wheat with a fruit cup dumped in and a veggie sausage.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    edited June 2018
    acpgee wrote: »
    Spaghetti aglio olio. Dead easy and made from store cupboard ingredients. It also makes me feel a bit beau monde because it is the favourite late night snack for young Romans who have been out clubbing all night.

Put some water to bowl and salt until it tastes of sea water. While spaghetti is boiling; chop, press or grate 1-2 cloves of garlic per person and fry in some olive oil with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes in a pan big enough to hold the drained pasta. When the garlic starts to colour toss in a ladle full of starchy pasta water to stop it from burning. Let some of the water boil off at high heat. When spaghetti is still a little undercooked, drain and toss in the oil/garlic/pasta water emulsion to finish cooking. Serve with parmesan grated at the table.

My family eats this every Christmas Eve. :-) You can also add finely chopped walnuts or black olives to it.

I do the rotisserie chicken quite often. Put the chicken over a green salad, make chicken salad with it, or sandwiches.

Or avocado toast is yummy and filling, too.

Also, now that it's summer, tomato slices stacked with fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, and a drizzle of olive oil. Grilled zucchini is pretty good hot or at room temperature - you can even make roll-ups with the zucchini and the chicken, maybe with a sprinkle of feta or blue cheese in there, if you like that. And you can do things like hummus or guacamole and dip raw vegetables in them.

Or tabouli made with quinoa. And Mediterranean-style chickpea salad. If you make a few kinds of summer salads and keep them in your fridge in single serving containers, you can grab them throughout the week, and be eating within seconds.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    bagged salad w pre cooked chicken and crumbled blue cheese w hard boiled egg. mmmm
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Grilled cheese and tomato soup. Quesadilla with black beans or shredded rotisserie chicken. French bread pizza and a salad kit. Eggs and toast.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Subway steak and cheese on wheat. ;)
  • autumnblonde1
    autumnblonde1 Posts: 10 Member
    I'm keto, so I keep frozen homemade turkey burger patties in the freezer. I take one out, thaw it in a baggie in some water, bake until done, broil for a minute with cheese on top, and serve with lots of lettuce, pickles, etc. I also enjoy tuna salad with avocado on the side, a 3 egg omelette with diced ham and real melted queso on top, or something as simple as cheese cubes, a few berries, and some rolled up lunch meat with a side of veggies and homemade dip.
  • JmeJinxx
    JmeJinxx Posts: 210 Member
    tuna melt! i mix tuna with about 4tbsp of hummus and seasonings, pile onto 2 pieces of toast and top with cheese then back into the toaster. not the "healthiest" but under 600 calories!