Are food hangovers real?!

Last night I way overindulged, trying a new Italian place. I tend to eat lowish carb most of the time. When I do go out I try to limit my indulgences to one choice (appetizer, heavy pasta or dessert, not all three). Well I tried it all last night and it was sooooo worth blowing through all of my calories for the day and then some. I felt full but not like I over did it. This morning I feel hungover. I only had one glass of wine. But I'm sluggish, nauseous, craving hangover foods, the whole nine. I read it could be a food hangover. Has anyone else experienced this?! It's so weird to me. I thought maybe I was just very bloated from eating salty foods, but when I stepped on the scale I actually lost weight. What causes this type of reaction?!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited June 2018
    Yes, TGIs gives me a 'hangover' thanks to the amount of salt they use, especially if I've had an alcoholic drink as well.

Plenty of water, you'll be fine!
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    I don't think it's real, like physiologically, but it can be psychologically, as a form of guilt. Don't feel guilty for eating.

That's the weirdest part. I got over the guilt thing months ago and have a pretty healthy relationship with food. I felt zero guilt about that meal, which is probably why I allowed myself to go all in, rather than restricting here and there. I set out on a mission to eat a good amount of delicious food, without worrying about staying in my limits and succeeded haha!
  • katnadreau
    katnadreau Posts: 149 Member
    I get food hangovers. Part of it could be because I don't sleep as well when I eat out of the norm. I'm way more fidgety after a high caloric meal, so I toss and turn all night, and no sleep makes me feel like garbage.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    katnadreau wrote: »
    I get food hangovers. Part of it could be because I don't sleep as well when I eat out of the norm. I'm way more fidgety after a high caloric meal, so I toss and turn all night, and no sleep makes me feel like garbage.

Interesting! I'm the same way. We were super wound up after dinner and went to an axe throwing place Haha! And I slept terribly. Tossed and turned, hot and sweaty. I never connected it to diet, but looking back, those nights happen after a big meal!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I've never had one
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    I get them ALL the time if I overeat the night before
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    I had a hugeeeee refeed a couple weeks ago and felt awful the next day. Could barely workout. Hit over 800 grams of carbs! Yet 36 hours later I was a lb lighter than my lowest weigh in lol. Over indulgence, esp when your body is not used to it can easily make you feel bad the next day
  • lauraktobe
    lauraktobe Posts: 7 Member
    YESS!!! i get this!!! if i over eat for a weekend with takeaways and junk late at night then i feel terrible the next day. tired, sluggish, yucky. Plenty of water, healthy food and exercise usually flushes it out
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    edited June 2018
    Yes! Most of my actual hangovers are because I am dehydrated and tired. When I indulge I'm normally consuming food that's higher in salt than normal which makes me dehydrated (and of course I'm eating more of it). And when I overeat, I sleep worse, making me feel tired, and we all know how tiredness affects us diet-wise (for me, baaaadly).
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member

Interesting! I'm the same way. We were super wound up after dinner and went to an axe throwing place Haha! And I slept terribly. Tossed and turned, hot and sweaty. I never connected it to diet, but looking back, those nights happen after a big meal!

You went out for a big Italian meal and then went to an axe throwing place? I want to hang out with you.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    It's absolutely a thing for me, not psychological - it can be headache, lethargy, all the classic hangover signs.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    I typically eat low sugar, so when we have birthdays or other celebrations where cake and other sugary stuff is served, I have to stay away from the cake because the sugar will give me a splitting headache.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    apullum wrote: »

You went out for a big Italian meal and then went to an axe throwing place? I want to hang out with you.

Me three!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    I don't see why not. A set of symptoms following (and directly related to) a physical cause. I get migraine hangovers, and trust me they are very real.
  • mermaidnj
    mermaidnj Posts: 161 Member
    so real! "The morning after the night before" without the night before