Is cut or bulk just personal preference?

Replies

• ocman57
    ocman57 Posts: 12 Member
    You're saying calories are calories?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    ocman57 wrote: »

Not sure what this has to do with the question about bulking or cutting.. but if you eat more calories than you burn you will gain weight and be bulking. If you eat less than you burn you will lose weight and be cutting.
  • ocman57
    ocman57 Posts: 12 Member
    edited June 2018
    I was replying to 100_proof_...
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member

Please rephrase your question as I don't want to misunderstand the point you are trying to get across.

Calories are calories?

My point is that the op didn't ask about what foods she needs to eat to cut or bulk. Cutting comes down to creating a caloric deficit. Bulking would need a calorie surplus. There's no specific foods to bulk. That's personal preference and opinion.
    Opinions are like @$$holes , everyone has one. What you may like to eat during a cut will be very different from what I like to eat. Neither is right or wrong, just opinions. What is fact is that cutting comes down to creating a caloric deficit. However one wants to create that deficit is up them. There's no special cutting foods.
  • 100_PROOF_
    I was replying to 100_proof_...

That's the great thing about posting on a public forum, anyone can join in the conversation.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    There's no specific foods to bulk.
    There's no special cutting foods.
    Sure there are, you can't eat pizza and hamburgers and fries and sodas all the time and expect to get any kind of results, whether you're cutting or bulking...

I don't recall anyone saying that you should... But actually, pizza and hamburgers are fairly balanced meals. Maybe a little extra veg for some micros, but nothing wrong with pizza and hamburgers. French fries are essentially carbs and fat which are still beneficial nutrients in the proper amounts. Soda, meh. Again, moderation.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    burgers are freaking great for cutting and bulking ... you get a whap load of protein, you get a decent amount of quick carbs which is a nice glycogen delivery after a hard workout and you get a good amount of fat

as for pizza .... its a little carb heavy even when you have a meat one ... so makes it somewhat harder to reach your protein goals on a cut, but a smaller portion and compensate with a protein shake or a chicken salad on the side and all is good.
  • Catia335
    Catia335 Posts: 17 Member
    Hey all! Sorry was sleeping. I’ve been cutting. Trying to hit 1500-1800 calories a day. Even being in a cut, due to being a complete newbie, I have seen great gains in the 6 months I’ve been lifting! But now everything is slowing down and kind of stalling. That is why I was wondering if I should continue to cut at a calorie deficit and just try to maintain my lifts, or should I transfer into a bulk. I just didn’t want to go into s bulk too soon and wanted advice from others on when to switch.

I do eat pretty “healthy” as I believe it is important for health in general. But I do agree with the CICO as far as losing/gaining weight or bulking/cutting.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    In for pizza and beer! :drinker:
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    MichSmish wrote: »

I'm always in for pizza and beer!
  • Catia335
    MichSmish wrote: »

I'm always in for pizza and beer!

Always a good time for pizza and beer!

• Catia335
    h1udd wrote: »
    burgers are freaking great for cutting and bulking ... you get a whap load of protein, you get a decent amount of quick carbs which is a nice glycogen delivery after a hard workout and you get a good amount of fat

as for pizza .... its a little carb heavy even when you have a meat one ... so makes it somewhat harder to reach your protein goals on a cut, but a smaller portion and compensate with a protein shake or a chicken salad on the side and all is good.

Yes!
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    I’ve been wondering about the whole pizza thing. Currently on a cut myself but like to eat pizza on a fri/sat.

It works in with my macros, I had to drop the papa johns or dominos as was far to many calories for my current goal, what I do now is make my own, I make the base and everything.

So these are more like Italian style pizzas. Calorie wise around 800, protein 60g and carbs 100g.

Is 100g carbs in one sitting too many? Does it matter they come from 00 flour which is white?

Or as it works in with my calorie/macro goals is it ok?

At the minute it’s not slowing weight loss and my bf prob 12-15% but will it matter as I get my bf lower than it’s ever been? Or is it just always calorie in/calorie out

Nice work op, not sure if I can get my abs as good as yours with all my fri/sat pizza lol but I hope so!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Sure there are, you can't eat pizza and hamburgers and fries and sodas all the time and expect to get any kind of results, whether you're cutting or bulking...

Sorry, nobody ever said that. And there is nothing wrong with those foods. Dose and context. Do you have something productive to add to the answers already given that relate to the OPs question?

She didn't ask for diet composition advice.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    I'm bulking again after a long cut and I'm eating all the burgers and pizzas! mmmmmmm.... pizza. :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    mmapags wrote: »

Sorry, nobody ever said that. And there is nothing wrong with those foods. Dose and context. Do you have something productive to add to the answers already given that relate to the OPs question?

She didn't ask for diet composition advice.

Sure, they did!...Of course that would be crazy if all you ate was hamburgers, fries, pizza, sodas, which @100_proof_ was inferring...Saying that calories are calories...Sure if you had a couple cheat meal a week no big deal, but to eat the above foods and expect to get results is foolish...

Sorry, you are wrong. Nobody said eat only pizza, fries, sodas and hamburgers. Also, there is nothing wrong with those foods in context and yes you can get results if you manage calories properly.

Calories are calories. It is a unit of measure. Nutrition. Is not calories. The OP asked about whether to cut or bulk. Again, she did not ask for dietary composition advice and if she did, you don't appear qualified to give it based on your posts.

Please stop derailing this thread.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited June 2018
    Either one is fine...stick to a plan and commit to it for a couple months. Alternative is just sitting around maintenance/recomposition - this can be seen as a bit more boring or slow paced requiring much patience (less straight forward vs a bulk or a cut). What currently would be more rewarding to you? Strength/size gains - bulk, fatloss/aesthetics - cut, undecided/too busy to make drastic changes - maintenance

Either way, it's good to have an idea of what both you are comfortable with as far as an upper weight limit and lower weight limit from your baseline. Experiment away
  • 100_PROOF_

Please quote where that was even said. I know I wouldn't recommend a diet of pizza and fries all day and I seriously doubt anyone here would either
    Sounds like you put words in my mouth and it backfired on ya there buddy. I never once said that in my life so I don't think it's any of us that need help with reading comprehension.
    Maybe do your homework next time you wanna play with the big boys, oookay !