Workout Advice

Hi. I have changed my eating habits and have been tracking everything on MFP for the last several months and I'm down about 18 lbs. I have done this mostly without exercise, which I have put off against my better judgement. I have a beach vacation coming up in 3 months and, while I still plan to lose more weight, I am also interested in toning up, which I believe means strength training. I plan to lose another 8-10 by my vacation but probably need to lose 15-20 more in total.

I have a program that I started to follow that has about 10 basic exercises with weights split up on two days and follows the ABA BAB format (includes squats, deadlifts, leg extensions, arm excercises, etc) . The exercises cover full body. I feel like I'm not doing enough though. I am trying to walk on my lunch breaks. I have also been looking at the videos on fitness blender and youtube. I know you are supposed to rest a day in between strength training. If I do a lower body or upper body workout on my off days for strength training is this counter productive? Sorry if this seems like a silly question but I am clueless when it comes to this.

Anyone have any good programs that achieve results in a few months? I know you can't spot reduce, but I particularly hate my thighs. They have slimmed up a little with the weight loss but they are still quite jiggly. I'm a 45 year old female. Thanks!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Does your program have you increasing the amount of weight as you progress? If yes, it will feel like you're doing enough very soon. If not, maybe switch to a progressive program. Starting Strength and Stronglifts 5x5 are popular.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • juleemchicago
    juleemchicago Posts: 7 Member
    Yeah it does. It is one I got from that thread but I don't remember which one it was because I copied it into a spreadsheet.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Yeah it does. It is one I got from that thread but I don't remember which one it was because I copied it into a spreadsheet.

How long have you been doing that particular program?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Hi. I have changed my eating habits and have been tracking everything on MFP for the last several months and I'm down about 18 lbs. I have done this mostly without exercise, which I have put off against my better judgement. I have a beach vacation coming up in 3 months and, while I still plan to lose more weight, I am also interested in toning up, which I believe means strength training. I plan to lose another 8-10 by my vacation but probably need to lose 15-20 more in total.

I have a program that I started to follow that has about 10 basic exercises with weights split up on two days and follows the ABA BAB format (includes squats, deadlifts, leg extensions, arm excercises, etc) . The exercises cover full body. I feel like I'm not doing enough though. I am trying to walk on my lunch breaks. I have also been looking at the videos on fitness blender and youtube. I know you are supposed to rest a day in between strength training. If I do a lower body or upper body workout on my off days for strength training is this counter productive? Sorry if this seems like a silly question but I am clueless when it comes to this.

Anyone have any good programs that achieve results in a few months? I know you can't spot reduce, but I particularly hate my thighs. They have slimmed up a little with the weight loss but they are still quite jiggly. I'm a 45 year old female. Thanks!

yeah fat takes time to come off and the less you have to lose the slower the fat and weight loss is going to be. it also seems the older you are the slower it is. Im going to be 44 and its taken me 5 years for the rest of it to start coming off my belly,hips and thighs, still have a long way to go too so. you probably wont lose 8-10 lbs in 3 months. with only 20 lbs to lose your safe rate of loss is going to be around 1/2 lb a week. if you are not in a deficit now you need to be in a small one to lose. its still going to go slow.
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    Here is a link to the "table of contents" page of a very effective program: (in my opinion)
    https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-ultimate-weight-training-workout-routine/

I would highly recommend reading through most, if not all, of the information even though you seem to be on a pretty good path.

The biggest thing I would note is that there is a lot of misinformation about "getting bulky" or "toning" when it comes to weights. The short version, in essence, is that:
    bulk= muscle still covered by fat
    tone= muscle no longer covered by fat

You won't get bulky just by lifting heavy things, and you won't get toned just by lifting light things.
  • juleemchicago
    @quiksylver296 I just started it. I was doing it on and off for a few months but I was bad about consistency. I'm trying to commit now. Depending on the exercise, I'm either using body weight, dumbells, or my home gym machine. I will try to increase rep or weigh each session and progress to barbells. I am working out at home but my husband has a set I plan to use.

@CharlieBeansmomTracey, yes I have been averaging about .5 a week. I weigh daily because it motivates me and I am definitely down as much as 1-2 lbs over the course of the week but inevitably it averages out to about .5 as you say on my official weigh in day. I have done this with pretty much minimal exercise so I figured I'd get a little bump with adding it in. Wishful thinking? I am still eating in a deficit (1200-1300 calories daily).

@Scottgriesser that is the one I'm following! I couldn't remember the name of it.

I just feel like I should be doing something on my "off" days from strength training.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    @quiksylver296 I just started it. I was doing it on and off for a few months but I was bad about consistency. I'm trying to commit now. Depending on the exercise, I'm either using body weight, dumbells, or my home gym machine. I will try to increase rep or weigh each session and progress to barbells. I am working out at home but my husband has a set I plan to use.

@CharlieBeansmomTracey, yes I have been averaging about .5 a week. I weigh daily because it motivates me and I am definitely down as much as 1-2 lbs over the course of the week but inevitably it averages out to about .5 as you say on my official weigh in day. I have done this with pretty much minimal exercise so I figured I'd get a little bump with adding it in. Wishful thinking? I am still eating in a deficit (1200-1300 calories daily).

@Scottgriesser that is the one I'm following! I couldn't remember the name of it.

I just feel like I should be doing something on my "off" days from strength training.

ok yeah it takes time and you will see over time that weight training does change how your body looks too. it may be slow if you have a lot of fat like I had. I look better weight training and losing weight this time as opposed to the last time I lost weight(without trying,I broke my leg and couldnt get to the kitchen as much lol) I was flabbier the first time. and no its not wishful thinking. weight training will also help in the long run with osteoperosis and things like that. weight training for me helps my RA(rheumatoid arthritis) to the point I dont need meds yet and Im in less pain. on your off days you can either rest or do whats called active rest days you can walk,swim leisurely ride a bike and so on. I cant just sit around on my rest days either. so sometimes I will clean the house and do things that have been neglected
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

Light to moderate cardio. The benefits you get from lifting come with the rest, not more work.

Also, developing the body you're talking about takes time...not that you won't see improvements over three months, but people spend years building and then maintaining their physiques...it doesn't happen in a handful of months.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Light to moderate cardio. The benefits you get from lifting come with the rest, not more work.

Also, developing the body you're talking about takes time...not that you won't see improvements over three months, but people spend years building and then maintaining their physiques...it doesn't happen in a handful of months.

thats what I do on my days off. I get in cardio(walking,cleaning,etc). and yeah it took me a long time to see changes and Im still seeing them 5 years later.still not where I want to be but happy with seeing the results even if it took this long lol.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

your hubby has a set plan you use? is it something he came up with? if so find a progressive lifting program and follow that. heres a link https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member

I just feel like I should be doing something on my "off" days from strength training. [/quote]

The older I get, the more I appreciate Yoga - which I foolishly mocked in my younger years.
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    edited June 2018

No reason to not add in some yoga, pilates, walking/LIGHT jogging, cycling, swimming. The plan doesn't really talk about it, but adding that to the regimen will help a little with the toning and a lot with your overall health and energy.

I, for instance, take Mondays as a full rest day then alternate lifting and "cardio" days the rest of the week.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

No reason to not add in some yoga, pilates, walking/LIGHT jogging, cycling, swimming. The plan doesn't really talk about it, but adding that to the regimen will help a little with the toning and a lot with your overall health and energy.

I, for instance, take Mondays as a full rest day then alternate lifting and "cardio" days the rest of the week.

toning comes from losing fat over existing muscle,when you do that you get a toned look. the more muscle/lean mass you have the more toned you will look. you cant tone a muscle. unless you are saying cardio will help with the fat loss?
  • juleemchicago
    edited June 2018
    I mean he has a set of barbells I will use. Sorry re-reading I see how that was confusing :)
  • BeckyBeebs
    BeckyBeebs Posts: 16 Member
    edited June 2018
    I follow this program: http://diaryofafitmommy.com/guides/ It's a corny website name, but her 12 week guide/programs have been very effective for me. I lost 15 inches in 12 weeks, added a fair amount of muscle and increased my cardio stamina; I "only" lost 6 pounds, but didn't focus at all on the CI portion of CICO. I'm currently 2/3 through a second round of the first guide and will be moving on to the second guide when done. I continue to lose inches, strengthen and lose weight (especially now that I'm managing CI with the help of MFP). Easy to follow in a gym or at home, and the before/after photos of my accountability group are pretty impressive. The first two guides are a 65/35 blend of weights and cardio (both HIIT and LISS), while the 3rd guide is more 90/10 weights vs cardio. All three literally lay out each day's exercise so you don't have to figure out what to do - you just get in and get it done. Basic structure is 3 days of HIIT (M/W/F), 2 days of LISS (T/Th); then lower/upper/core/lower/upper for weights across 5 days. I usually run on Saturdays too now that I'm more fit.
    Workouts for guide 1 range from 35 - 60 minutes depending on whether it is a HIIT or LISS day. Not sure on the other two because I haven't progressed there yet.

Sorry if I seem like I'm "selling" something - I lurk and don't frequently post, so hopefully I'm not breaking an etiquette. I have nothing to gain from whether you use this or not. I just really really like the program and what it has done for me physically and mentally. While I still have 10-15 pounds I should lose, I wear my bikini proudly - not because I look so fantastic, but because I feel that confident, strong and proud of what I've done and where I'm heading.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

I just really wanted to emphasize this point. It is spot on. It can take years and years, building up and tearing down. I have been at it for almost 4 years and I'm just scratching the surface.

You can see some changes in body composition in a few months, but it really will depend on how lean you want to get.. as well as your starting point and muscle base.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    sardelsa wrote: »

I just really wanted to emphasize this point. It is spot on. It can take years and years, building up and tearing down. I have been at it for almost 4 years and I'm just scratching the surface.

You can see some changes in body composition in a few months, but it really will depend on how lean you want to get.. as well as your starting point and muscle base.

yeah when I first started I saw a little bit of difference. now its 5 years down the road and Im starting to see a signifgant difference in how my body is starting to look. for me I knew it was going to be slow but not this slow. Im just glad I have stuck with it. had I done a little more I may have gotten there a little quicker. but thats ok.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member

yeah when I first started I saw a little bit of difference. now its 5 years down the road and Im starting to see a signifgant difference in how my body is starting to look. for me I knew it was going to be slow but not this slow. Im just glad I have stuck with it. had I done a little more I may have gotten there a little quicker. but thats ok.

Just to add my 2c, this happens to be the reason why I stopped focusing on physique goals and started focusing on strength goals. I find it's much easier to increase the weight on the bar than it is to see significant changes in body composition.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Erik8484 wrote: »

Just to add my 2c, this happens to be the reason why I stopped focusing on physique goals and started focusing on strength goals. I find it's much easier to increase the weight on the bar than it is to see significant changes in body composition.

yeah I didnt really focus on the changes as they were and still are really slow but like i said thats fine. I am getting stronger and am seeing some increase in muscle yet looking leaner. I know there are changes as I can also feel the change in how I feel and what I can do now compared to before
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Erik8484 wrote: »

See I'm the opposite.. while physique changes are slow they happen, and it seems to be the only thing I can do with some ease. My lack of strength is so discouraging and I'm just not motivated to train for it. I wish I was but it's hard to be passionate about something you aren't good at.