WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2018

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

Rori – you’ll do fine with the 16 year old, ask her what she might like to do – if you only have a few hours she might even like to hear family history or stories about the relations you have in common.

So I got asked to help a friend of a friend – a woman I have never met - her daughter is getting married on the 7th of July and she has decided to make cookies instead of a cake, 4 kinds for 200 guests, so she decided on the Friday before she’d make 50 of each of kind and that would do it. The friend we have in common said you better talk this over with Kim…. I did cookies for a wedding once, made 2 kinds, 2 of each per person and ran out! On folk’s plates at the first run through the buffet - folks took 5-6 cookies each! All mature adults! So one cookie each with a guest list with a bunch of kids and 20 something adults will need more than one cookie each. She and I are meeting for coffee at our local coffee house at 5:30am tomorrow, I put together a list of things to consider. I’ll have to tread softly to help her understand she has grossly under estimated this commitment.

Smiles

Kim from N. California

Oh my, that's A LOT of cookies.

My 18 yo granddaughter is getting married on July 7th. They will be married in the park. They live a a very tiny OK town about 50 miles from me. It will be HOT. Her Dad decided to rent the VFW for the reception, I was very glad to hear that. It will be a very small informal wedding, but my ex son in law is one terrific cook. He still hugs me and says love you when he sees me. Looking forward to his cooking. So another grammy wedding dress purchased. I never wear dresses but it will be cooler than slacks I think.

Janetr OK
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    csofled wrote: »
    Michele in NC, I always go into a doctor's office office with my folder in hand. It has procedures I've had, my yearly tests, and I write out a sheet of questions I need answered. No sense wasting the doctors time hemming and hawing. That comes from many doctors just yacking about the obvious, which is my weight. "Hey doctor Obvious, I know that, but I need the world to stop spinning"!

I read up on Hiperparathyroidism. So its not how elevated your calcium is, that determines symptoms. You could have really high levels of calcium and have a couple symtoms, or you could be just a bit up and have all the symptoms! Over long term, it can shorten your lifespan by 5-6 years. Because it draws calcium out of your bones, osteoporosis and also kidney stones can appear. Also:
    -frequent urination √
    -balding √
    -joint achness √
    -feeling tired no energy √
    -feeling off and not yourself √
    -memory and foggy issues √
    -problem getting to sleep √
    It looks like everything I feel can be attributed to this dang disease!
    Looking forward to getting that surgery in July sometime!

Rebecca
    Feeling frustrated, and beat up in
    Whidbey island
    Washington

Rebecca I am following your journey with interest as I have a history of high calcium and parathyroid levels myself. My new endocrinologist here in College Station has diagnosed Primary Hyperparathyroidism. He was hesitant to start treatment last year. I go back to him in July and will insist on treatment at this time. The "non-measurable" symptoms are too many and must be addressed as you say. I am often spontaneously nauseous out of nowhere and I am sure this is the source. Stay well my friend as best you can.

Cheri
    CS,Tx

Have you had a scan done in your parathyroids? I go in to surgeon first part of July, and I just want the overactive one(s) out! For being little grains of rice thingys on your thyroid, they're pretty bossy with everything else in your body!
    Rebecca
  • coastalgosgal
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    By the time we got home from Texas yesterday afternoon I was feeling sick. I hit my head rather hard on a wooden swing Sunday evening (stupid story, don't ask). Driving home Monday I actually laid on the couch in the motor home for a while. By the time we got home I was light headed and shaky. As late afternoon and evening progressed my head was splitting and l felt like every nerve and muscle in my body was on fire. I could not sit or lay down I was just in pain and nauseous, chills and sweats. I moved from couch to chair to bed all night. If I would drift off I'd wake myself and hubby up whimpering and moaning. When I got up this morning my head was still splitting and body ached. I asked Jack to bring me water and Tylenol. I gagged trying to swallow it and ran to the bathroom and vomited. It was the cure though, I sat back down in my lounge chair and promptly fell asleep and woke about an hour later feeling much better. I've been a bit unsteady and light headed all day but that's all. Don't know what caused that, but hope it never returns.

Hugs to all.

Janetr OKC

Janet, make an appt tomorrow with doctor! You could have a concussion. Better safe than sorry! Hugs
    Rebecca
  • coastalgosgal
    Being light-headed is one of the symptoms Janet. Also being nauseous!
    Rebecca
  • coastalgosgal
    This story is from a gal Sarah Sapora. She has a page on Facebook, and I find her very real, gutsy, and determined. I did not edit this, nor change any wording. If you don't care to read, no worries.
    Hugs
    Rebecca

"You've gained weight, aren't you embarrassed" ??

Someone messaged me this the other day. My simple answer is, absolutely not. A journey ebbs and flows. Life ebbs and flows. Anyone who tells you otherwise is full of it. Some months, pieces of your self-care are spot on. Other month, other pieces are. What matters is that you ALWAYS return to yourself, you give yourself the grace to know that perfection is a myth, and allow "success" to look like different things. If you buy into the idea that the only way you remain a valid individual is if the numbers on the scale keep getting smaller, you are totally buying into self-destructive diet mentality. Life doesn't wait for ANY of us to be perfect. And all of us will go through hard times. What matters is how we handle the hard times and how we stand up again after we stumble. I went through four months of pain and change and it sucked donkey. I didn't work out regularly and it was really hard to stay focussed on eating the "best" for me. But you know HOW I knew I was fine? I never tried to cover up my pain. I kept present through ALL of it till I found my way through to other side without numbing our. And THAT is growth. Am I stressed that that "set my numbers back a bit?" Hell. No. Because during that time I learned how to sit the *kitten* still while I was in pain. That is something I am very proud of! If you are on this page because you want to see a scripted and idealized portrayal of weight loss... man, you are on the wrong page and swimming up a stream that goes to nowhere. Life is a continual setback of things we don't plan. Keep coming back. Keep returning to yourself. Again and again. Time after time.
    Love Sarah

• coastalgosgal
    And so " kitten" is a bad word in that paragraph, but it kind of fits, even if its not the f word.
    Haahaa!
    Rebecca
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    :heart:
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,637 Member
    well I got the Alfie pounce at 5 this morning, so I am up...
    one thing about having a smaller place, is it fills up with junk quicker lol.so tomorrow Home Depot is supposed to be coming to install the microwave... we shall see, the real estate agent wont be able to be there on Friday for the closing....but it should go smoothly....
    my girlfriend says I have guts, at 58 buying something on my own... I have never owned something on my own... so I am taking the plunge... just figured what money I will have left in savings after this closing will be 7500.00 , I am hoping that I can figure out how to put some away bi weekly to bring that up..
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Janet - I agree with Machka and Rebecca. Sounds like a concussion to me too. Please go get it checked! Better safe than sorry!

Okie
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,820 Member
    Good morning all! Happy Wednesday!
    Janet- I would think that knock on your head is the cause of the dizziness and nausea; and agree with Rebecca that you likely have a concussion. You should really just go in for a check up. So many things could come along later as a result of a concussion. <3
    Allie- I missed something! Are you buying a house? Real estate agent for what? We already know you have "guts"! So glad your friends can see it, too!
    Janet/Kim- That's a lot of cookies! I wonder if she would consider slipping them into a cookie sleeve and putting one at each place setting? Maybe just go with a simple sugar cookie iced in her "colors"? To help my daughter stay within budget for her wedding and reception I made 500 cake pops. Never again! (lol DD is my only daughter; so pretty sure I will never feel the pressure to do this again).
    Sue WA-Bandit looks like he is in his happy place! Yes, my DD and DGS will be here July 13-21! A WHOLE week! <3
    Michele- I do not envy you, nor your daughter! Living with the inlaws would be an awful way to start a marriage! Most young people revert back to "childhood" with their parents. Looks like Denise will be living with "little boy, Pete and his parents". I don't mean that unkindly, it is just hard to be your own boss while you are with your parents. Patience for you, because I think Denise will be doing all she can to keep the peace, go with the flow and make this work. It could get ugly.

Well, it is official, my son in law has left teaching and has begun his training in security for the Dallas/Fort Worth area. He is working for the same family my daughter is now. So they both are making good money and have great insurance. I don't envy him this job in the summer. Part of his job is "policing" the downtown FW area on bike. IN the summer heat of Texas?! Yikes! He has a test coming up where he has to complete a 30 mile bike course. Not sure what the time limit is; but he said the other day, it takes a lot longer and takes a lot out of you when you are out in temps in the 90s+. I sent him an article with tips to stay hydrated and cool while he rides. Not sure what they will allow him to have with him on the test, but worth a shot.

Laughing while I watch the news. Not about the flooding in Michigan and Illinois; but they are showing pics of what people are doing to get around in the flood zones. A couple of folks using jet skis on the flooded highways. When you think about it, it really is quite dangerous because you don't know what is on the road under that water; but at the same time comical to see them waving at the cars they pass.

Well, pancake day for the kiddos so I better get busy making those! Strawberry yogurt smoothie for me. We will be heading to a meadow down the road today to find some new bugs! We do catch bugs, but we let them go right away after we have taken a good look at them and talked about them. lol I always insist we let them go where we found them and NOT at my house. One of the boys is bringing things into my house. I found an acorn and a pine cone in between the couch cushions yesterday at clean up! It could be any of them, but I am leaning toward my new guy or my older kid (when he was younger he ALWAYS had stuff in his pockets).

Ah well, ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,637 Member
    Kelly- I am buying the condo that I have been living in since October...it's a 55 and over ..so nice and quiet.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,023 Member
    edited June 2018
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    By the time we got home from Texas yesterday afternoon I was feeling sick. I hit my head rather hard on a wooden swing Sunday evening (stupid story, don't ask). Driving home Monday I actually laid on the couch in the motor home for a while. By the time we got home I was light headed and shaky. As late afternoon and evening progressed my head was splitting and l felt like every nerve and muscle in my body was on fire. I could not sit or lay down I was just in pain and nauseous, chills and sweats. I moved from couch to chair to bed all night. If I would drift off I'd wake myself and hubby up whimpering and moaning. When I got up this morning my head was still splitting and body ached. I asked Jack to bring me water and Tylenol. I gagged trying to swallow it and ran to the bathroom and vomited. It was the cure though, I sat back down in my lounge chair and promptly fell asleep and woke about an hour later feeling much better. I've been a bit unsteady and light headed all day but that's all. Don't know what caused that, but hope it never returns.

Hugs to all.

Janetr OKC

Janet, make an appt tomorrow with doctor! You could have a concussion. Better safe than sorry! Hugs
    Rebecca

I agree!

Katla prayers for DH. Hope a night of sleep improves how he feels.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2018
    Janetr So sorry about your head injury & the after effects. Concur w/everyone else's advice. Take care!

Heather in Mourning You could emulate Mama Lee who sold her house and lives on the Crystal Serenity. I think she is 89... B)

Barbie That is so interesting that you like performing! I would not have guessed that, because you seem like an introvert and prefer being at home. I love dancing but do not like performing. I don't get much chance to dance anymore. I would like to learn ballroom dancing. My favorite is Carolina Shag. I love the music and the dance.

Lisa I'm not such a patient person either. <3

(((Hugs))) to all.

Has anyone heard from DJ?

Karen in Virginia
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,284 Member
    Happy Wednesday!

Kim
    - thinking of your friend of friend and cookies.... maybe she should put in an order with Costco or Safeway or even Walmart. Will be much less expensive and time consuming and people won't know the different - people aren't there for the cookies anyhow. And you are right, people tend to eat LOTS of cookies.

Janetr- I concur, at least call your doc's office and run it by them. That headache sounded pretty nasty!

Sue in WA
    - Bandit is a beauty - he'll have a wonderful home with you! I am admiring your green lawn and pasture and hope it sticks around for a while. One of my friends has an older horse who got laminitis this spring when they turned her out into a fresh pasture. Her old gal then developed a hoof abscess and doesn't feel like standing much. After having sheep and goats who could eat anything at any time, I had forgotten how touchy equines are. The vet and farrier have been over quite a bit to monitor her.

Rebecca and Cheri - now I'm curious to see what my calcium level is, will have to dig out the last blood tests. My doc did the basic tests on my thyroid last year and everything came back within range, but I know there are other tests. Rebecca - what made them test your parathyroid to begin with? Was it picked up in a routine test of some type? As far as I know, thyroid problems haven't been an issue in my family tree.

Rebecca - thank you for sharing Sarah Sapora's post. I think she's right on the money.

Katla
    - sending good thoughts for your DH and hope he feels better today. Tailbones - ouch.

Barbie
    - totally understand your mixed feelings on the fair performance. Keep cool up there on top of the peninsula today!

Lisa
    - congrats on the weight loss - I just checked out a habit tracker and will give it a whirl. I agree, coloring in squares is a real lift!

Kelly
    - wow, all that rain and flooding. We'll take some out here in the Pacific Northwest where it "rains all the time" lol. That's a rumor someone started to keep people from moving here but it hasn't helped. B) We might not see much measurable rainfall until September or October.

Today is the hot day. >:):#:s Trying to cool the house down but not having much luck so the A/C will get a workout once the sun comes up. Tonight - possible thunderstorms! Then mid-70's tomorrow. It's all good.

Keep cool ladies- have a good day.

Lanette
    SW WA State

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,877 Member
    :)Katla, best wishes to your husband for speedy healing from his fall. About the cancelled line dance performance, she didn't give a reason, but I know that she's been feeling stressed (I think some of it is the man in her life is not supportive of her dancing and wants her to do things with him out of town that affect the classes she teaches and practice for the fair). Also there are only six of us--two are beginners and need lots of instruction and support just to learn the dances and one has not been reliable in attending practice. I wasn't surprised that she cancelled.