WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2018

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,432 Member
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,721 Member
    Well, I apparently will never learn. Ate dumb yesterday and paid for it last night.

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Beth ~ Sorry you felt bad after eating. I have noticed lately that food with tomato sauce/paste give me acid reflux.

Janet ~ As everyone else has said, go get checked out.

Barbie ~ So sorry your fair dance was cancelled.

OK ~ I have to admit to doing something really dumb. I am addicted to playing Free Cell on the computer. Evidently, I have played so much that my right had has been affected and I am now trying to use my left. Thinking I might have arthritis in my fingers.

Carol in GA
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Happy Wednesday!

Kim
    - thinking of your friend of friend and cookies.... maybe she should put in an order with Costco or Safeway or even Walmart. Will be much less expensive and time consuming and people won't know the different - people aren't there for the cookies anyhow. And you are right, people tend to eat LOTS of cookies.

Janetr- I concur, at least call your doc's office and run it by them. That headache sounded pretty nasty!

Sue in WA
    - Bandit is a beauty - he'll have a wonderful home with you! I am admiring your green lawn and pasture and hope it sticks around for a while. One of my friends has an older horse who got laminitis this spring when they turned her out into a fresh pasture. Her old gal then developed a hoof abscess and doesn't feel like standing much. After having sheep and goats who could eat anything at any time, I had forgotten how touchy equines are. The vet and farrier have been over quite a bit to monitor her.

Rebecca and Cheri - now I'm curious to see what my calcium level is, will have to dig out the last blood tests. My doc did the basic tests on my thyroid last year and everything came back within range, but I know there are other tests. Rebecca - what made them test your parathyroid to begin with? Was it picked up in a routine test of some type? As far as I know, thyroid problems haven't been an issue in my family tree.

Rebecca - thank you for sharing Sarah Sapora's post. I think she's right on the money.

Katla
    - sending good thoughts for your DH and hope he feels better today. Tailbones - ouch.

Barbie
    - totally understand your mixed feelings on the fair performance. Keep cool up there on top of the peninsula today!

Lisa
    - congrats on the weight loss - I just checked out a habit tracker and will give it a whirl. I agree, coloring in squares is a real lift!

Kelly
    - wow, all that rain and flooding. We'll take some out here in the Pacific Northwest where it "rains all the time" lol. That's a rumor someone started to keep people from moving here but it hasn't helped. B) We might not see much measurable rainfall until September or October.

Today is the hot day. >:):#:s Trying to cool the house down but not having much luck so the A/C will get a workout once the sun comes up. Tonight - possible thunderstorms! Then mid-70's tomorrow. It's all good.

Keep cool ladies- have a good day.

Lanette
    SW WA State

The doctor here in base made the connection, because I guess if you have low vitamin D, and high calcium those seem to be curser markers for an imbalance in your parathyroids. It was a normal comprehensive metabolic blood panel. I might have been dealing with this disease and never known it! My calcium has always been a bit on the above normal range, but doctors just dismissed it.
    You're welcome on the Sarah's post. She's a gutsy, no nonsense gal, and I admire her tenacity!
    Rebecca
  • coastalgosgal
    edited June 2018
    Well, I can already notice my chest doesn't feel as tight, using the inhaler. I slept better, and woke up at a reasonable hour. My heart races a bit right after I use the inhaler, but settles down ok. The doctor yesterday said using the nasal spray will help shrink my nasal tissues. The fact that my wheezing happens mostly at night, led him to deduce that my sinus stuff was dripping down my throat irritating it. Makes sense! So clearing up the sinuses will make my wheezing go away. I can literally open my mouth while lying in bed, and hear squeeks, bubbling, and just strange noises. I don't know if I'm afflicted by paranormals, or what! My neck doesn't seem so tight this morning either. I don't wish to moan and groan about my ailments, but I think I kinda just did!
    I am not one to take medicines, not focus on myself so. I just expect to wake up and do. This whole experience of being self aware, of things I am feeling, is new to me. That part of getting old sucks!
    My eldest son and I texted yesterday, and I was sharing factual information about my doctors appointment, and he came back with a, "How serious is all this" ? I said its just worrisome, and I think its all connected. My ears, my sinuses, my throat. My husband asked me if I told the doctor about my lack of sense of smell. My nose literally doesn't work. I cannot smell food, nor the cedar in the sun room, or scents of flowers. I don't even think about it. One more question to put on my list for next time. Or send him an email.
    Well, time to be somewhat productive today!
    Hugs to each and every one of yas!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey island
    Washington

• coastalgosgal
    Oh and the first pic is some of my sister's latest artwork. Love those flowers!
    Rebecca
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,685 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I read message boards and blogs a lot while I'm at work, as I'm bored. Tomorrow I have someone from head office coming to teach me sales, so this might not be my normal for much longer.

I read a comment today from someone on one of the boards that when your goals are set to lose 2lbs per week it is too aggressive for people under 200 because it is less than 1% of your body weight.

What does everyone think of this, is it true or is it an individual thing?

Tracey in Edmonton

When I started with MFP, I set my goal at 0.5 kg (or approx. 1 lb). As it happened, I lost 2 lbs/week ... wasn't planned, but the weight just dropped off. In 16 weeks, I dropped 15 kg, and was comfortably within my normal weight range again.

Then I took a 1-month diet break, and when I resumed, I deliberately went a little less aggressively. I increased my calorie intake by 100 cal/day, and over the next 16 weeks, I dropped 10 kg.

But I wouldn't deliberately set my goal to lose 2 lbs/week. I know how few calories I'd have to eat to accomplish that, and it wouldn't be pretty.

Machka in Oz

Thank you, I am finding the 1200 calories a day very hard to meet. Maybe I'll up mine a little bit.
  • Snowflake1968
    I read message boards and blogs a lot while I'm at work, as I'm bored. Tomorrow I have someone from head office coming to teach me sales, so this might not be my normal for much longer.

I read a comment today from someone on one of the boards that when your goals are set to lose 2lbs per week it is too aggressive for people under 200 because it is less than 1% of your body weight.

Tracey in Edmonton

I agree with Machka above that setting your goals at losing two pounds per week is a little high. The number these people are using is based on research that was done in 1958. That research basically stated that, to lose one pound of body fat, you must cut your diet (or up your exercise burn) by 3,500 calories per week. To lose two pounds, you have to cut your diet or burn 7,000 calories per week more than you did previously. That's a LOT of calories... and by the way, was based on a "typical" man's calorie intake and burn. And... doctors are finally figuring out that, in some ways, there's no such thing as a "typical" human being. Everyone's metabolic rate, etc., is different--and every single human processes carbohydrates, protein and fat quite differently.

This video is one of the best explanations I've seen of how the combination of fat, protein and carbohydrates works in the body. But even that, please note, is focused on losing weight, not maintenance. Effectively, the simplest explanation seems to be that the whole "fat-free" drive had a massive rebound effect as populations were equating the fat we eat with the fat we store on our bodies, when in reality, most nutrition scientists agree now that excess carbohydrates that the body doesn't use for quick energy are stored as body fat.

There is no single answer for a single human being, and your body WILL adjust to what you eat. You can change that through diet and exercise, but it takes perseverance, time, and an ability to convince yourself to keep going through the inevitable stalls.

I've found that FOR ME, and I'm not extrapolating to everyone else, carbohydrates beget more carbohydrates, with a few exceptions. When I eat bread or any form of sugar, I want more. It doesn't satisfy my hunger, it makes me more hungry. I eat oat bran for breakfast every morning, cooked in unsweetened almond milk. That seems to satisfy my body's need for some carbohydrates (and in an unintended consequence, has also dropped my bad cholesterol by 40 points in five months). While I am eating little fat these days, it's more because fat = 9 calories per gram and protein = 4 calories per gram. Essentially, I can eat more food when I stay with higher protein and less fat, so I feel satisfied that way, and am more likely to stick with it.

I'm not saying mine is the perfect diet - it's the diet that's working FOR ME. As long as you're getting the nutrients your body needs, you're fine. The key is finding something that YOU will stick with, and not worrying about whether the scale goes down every day (or even every week).

Sorry - didn't mean to write a book!

Lisa in AR

I don't mind long reads :) I thoroughly enjoy the insight. I have found the same with the carbohydrates. If I eat them that seems to be all I want for a few days. If I can force myself to go without for a couple days I don't want it. The body and mind are peculiar creatures. I think I'll play with this for a bit and see if I do better.
  • Snowflake1968

Tracey in Edmonton

Tracey With all due respect to the replies already posted, the only reply you've gotten so far that I completely agree with is from Barbie.

From my experience & research, weight loss is complex. There are so many individual factors, such as food intolerances, insulin & leptin resistance, exercise, basal metabolism, thyroid hormone, quality of sleep, starting weight, height, age, gender, stress & stress hormones, other hormones, medical conditions, and many other factors, that it can't be reduced to a simple answer or equation.

Additionally, weight loss is not linear, thus rendering discussions on how much weight is too much weight to lose in a certain time frame meaningless. 1-2 lbs a month might be great for one person, but another person might lose 1/2 a lb, or might lose 5-10lbs. Or lose 4 lbs this week and nothing next week, without changing diet/exercise.

I am not aware of any legitimate research that says that losing more than 1% of your body weight in one week is inherently dangerous or too aggressive. The main issue from my perspective is that if you set unrealistic goals for you, it will lead to disappointment and discouragement. Thus Barbie's comment about the best food plan being the one you are able & willing to follow.

Karen in Virginia

Thank you, I 100% agree it's what needs to be something I can live with long term.
  • Snowflake1968
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Cheri: I'm happy that you got some sleep. I hope your DH's trip goes by quickly and successfully, and that he is home soon. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I'm delighted to hear about all of your fun, and the most improved couple in ballroom dancing award is spectacular. :star: I sense a little wistfulness about the conclusion of this particular cruise. I hope the ship finds a new home that cares for it and uses it well. :flowerforyou:

Rita: I love the photo of you driving though the Grants, New Mexico Historic Route 66 sign. Thanks for sharing. :flowerforyou:

Tracey: Felicia has good advice. I'm sure the person who said that 2 pounds per week of loss is too aggressive for people under 200 pounds was speaking their own truth. We are all different. I let MFP set my weight loss goals for me and was happy with the overall results. Each time I met a goal, they reduced my allowed calories. The target loss was never more than 2 lbs per week. I didn't lose on a predictable schedule. Sometimes I'd be on a plateau for weeks, and sometimes I'd lose a couple of pounds two weeks in a row. The target weight they had for me was around 145 pounds, but it doesn't work for me. I have bursitis in my left knee from an over use injury. I need to be under 140 to keep that joint from causing pain. I trust their system, but we all have individual quirks that lead us to the spot that is healthy for us. I have been very happy with following MFP suggestions. I'd be less willing to jump on some individual's advice. :flowerforyou:

Sue: I'm glad you were able to finally get Bandit home. I've had bad experiences with traffic on I-5 more often than not. Things seemed to get bad as we approached Fort Lewis/McCord. Our son is not stationed there now, and we haven't travelled that way for a couple of years. I'd love it if he were stationed there again. Now he is in Virginia, and we seldom see him or our grandbaby. :cry:

Marion: You've found a good group for encouragement and support. I hope you stop in often. :star:

We've been working like dogs to get our storage unit cleaned out well enough to move the RV there when the repairs are done. We are making good progress. We have a small trailer in there for our Terra-Trykes that we need to move to give us enough space for parking the RV. We plan to bring the trailer home. It will take up slightly more space here, but it won't be problematic. The motor home is almost ready for use. The window covers in the bedroom need repair/replacement but they are at least functional now. I can hardly wait for our first adventure.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

June 2018 Resolutions:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on strength and stamina.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least 3 glasses of water a day.
    5. Monitor sleep. Average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.
    6. Avoid alcohol.

Thank you Katla, I have been doing the 2lbs per week since I started this time around and I used it the last time I did it too. I found your comment about weeks at the same weight encouraging because that is what my problem is right now. I will maybe just need to have more patience :)
  • Snowflake1968
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

Rori – you’ll do fine with the 16 year old, ask her what she might like to do – if you only have a few hours she might even like to hear family history or stories about the relations you have in common.

So I got asked to help a friend of a friend – a woman I have never met - her daughter is getting married on the 7th of July and she has decided to make cookies instead of a cake, 4 kinds for 200 guests, so she decided on the Friday before she’d make 50 of each of kind and that would do it. The friend we have in common said you better talk this over with Kim…. I did cookies for a wedding once, made 2 kinds, 2 of each per person and ran out! On folk’s plates at the first run through the buffet - folks took 5-6 cookies each! All mature adults! So one cookie each with a guest list with a bunch of kids and 20 something adults will need more than one cookie each. She and I are meeting for coffee at our local coffee house at 5:30am tomorrow, I put together a list of things to consider. I’ll have to tread softly to help her understand she has grossly under estimated this commitment.

Smiles

Kim from N. California

That is good knowledge to have, my daughter is getting married next July and is planning on having a cookie bar. We thought we would make cookies ahead of time and freeze them. She is planning on using Grandmother's and Aunts favourite recipes. I think she's also hoping that her paternal grandmother and Aunts help bake LOL. My Mom can't as she is in a nursing home now.
  • Snowflake1968
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    By the time we got home from Texas yesterday afternoon I was feeling sick. I hit my head rather hard on a wooden swing Sunday evening (stupid story, don't ask). Driving home Monday I actually laid on the couch in the motor home for a while. By the time we got home I was light headed and shaky. As late afternoon and evening progressed my head was splitting and l felt like every nerve and muscle in my body was on fire. I could not sit or lay down I was just in pain and nauseous, chills and sweats. I moved from couch to chair to bed all night. If I would drift off I'd wake myself and hubby up whimpering and moaning. When I got up this morning my head was still splitting and body ached. I asked Jack to bring me water and Tylenol. I gagged trying to swallow it and ran to the bathroom and vomited. It was the cure though, I sat back down in my lounge chair and promptly fell asleep and woke about an hour later feeling much better. I've been a bit unsteady and light headed all day but that's all. Don't know what caused that, but hope it never returns.

Hugs to all.

Janetr OKC

I hope you are feeling better, that sounds like a concussion to me.
  • Snowflake1968
    Allie, my dear, we're the same age - and while I'm not doing it by myself, we are going to be stretching ourselves for closing as well. As Rori says, you can do this! I'm hoping that, like us, your mortgage payment will be significantly smaller than your rent payment is now, which will give you a little leeway.

Katla, keeping a good thought for your DH to wake up safe and sound...

Janet
    , I concur with going to the doctor. Much better safe than sorry on any head injury.

I think I mentioned a few days back that I started logging again, even though it's not required... and though it might be just the Hawthorne effect, it's kept me on the straight and narrow without stepping off the path for two days now. And I finally bumped off of my stall! Woot! 26 pounds lost, and, as that puts me at 191, very nearly to one of those ever-important (mentally, anyway) 10-pound marks. If I can ootch past that by Monday, it would put me right back on track after a stall that's lasted a MONTH. Lordie, I am not a patient person.

Also started the habit tracker at the same time, which tracks those things I want to do on a daily basis... and the things I get a gold star for NOT doing, as well, like not eating off plan. As usual, starting two things at once, I have no idea which one is working best. The weird part is, this is only my third day, and I've already started noting that I'm doing things (like starting laundry and making the bed) just so I can color in the square that shows I've accomplished it for the day.

Even weirder is that, if it's not on the plan, I'm reluctant to do it.

I may need another life. I think I've broken this one. :smiley:

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

I never really think a lot about habits, but I remember growing up my Grandmother had a plan for her weeks with housework. Monday - Laundry, Tuesday - Iron, Wednesday - Vacuum, Dust and Scrub, etc. She took Sunday off and truly believed in the day of rest. She had a lot of habits outside of housework, healthy ones and fun ones. Maybe I need to look at some habits, what a great idea. Also, love your comment: I may need another life. I think I've broken this one. It made me laugh out loud :)

Tracey in Edmonton
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    <3 NYKAREN
  • coastalgosgal
    I'm thinking with this large home I need a schedule as well!
    Rebecca
  • coastalgosgal
    Allie, my dear, we're the same age - and while I'm not doing it by myself, we are going to be stretching ourselves for closing as well. As Rori says, you can do this! I'm hoping that, like us, your mortgage payment will be significantly smaller than your rent payment is now, which will give you a little leeway.

Katla, keeping a good thought for your DH to wake up safe and sound...

Janet
    , I concur with going to the doctor. Much better safe than sorry on any head injury.

I think I mentioned a few days back that I started logging again, even though it's not required... and though it might be just the Hawthorne effect, it's kept me on the straight and narrow without stepping off the path for two days now. And I finally bumped off of my stall! Woot! 26 pounds lost, and, as that puts me at 191, very nearly to one of those ever-important (mentally, anyway) 10-pound marks. If I can ootch past that by Monday, it would put me right back on track after a stall that's lasted a MONTH. Lordie, I am not a patient person.

Also started the habit tracker at the same time, which tracks those things I want to do on a daily basis... and the things I get a gold star for NOT doing, as well, like not eating off plan. As usual, starting two things at once, I have no idea which one is working best. The weird part is, this is only my third day, and I've already started noting that I'm doing things (like starting laundry and making the bed) just so I can color in the square that shows I've accomplished it for the day.

Even weirder is that, if it's not on the plan, I'm reluctant to do it.

I may need another life. I think I've broken this one. :smiley:

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

I never really think a lot about habits, but I remember growing up my Grandmother had a plan for her weeks with housework. Monday - Laundry, Tuesday - Iron, Wednesday - Vacuum, Dust and Scrub, etc. She took Sunday off and truly believed in the day of rest. She had a lot of habits outside of housework, healthy ones and fun ones. Maybe I need to look at some habits, what a great idea. Also, love your comment: I may need another life. I think I've broken this one. It made me laugh out loud :)

Tracey in Edmonton

Goodled cleaning schedules! I will get there, and my Chief will be so proud, (and I will be more in control).
    Rebecca
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,463 Member
    Rita Brava for helping Redtail!
    Barbie thanks for the Havana/A little oh na na. Alas, that's not the one we learned either . . . but if no one else remembers the new one, that WILL work ;) County fair won't be the same without your performance. Will the team try again next year?
    Sue in WA lucky, lucky Bandit!
    Rori cherry tomato sized hail??? OWW!
    Katla OW! Hope he landed more on his butt than his tailbone, such injuries really HURT for a LONG time. Added this recent injury to him, already on the list.
    Rebecca, thanks so much for Sarah Sapora's posting. Wise gal.
    Allie so proud of you, gal!
    Carol from one FreeCell addict to another, Oww! I only have just enough arthritis in my fingers to get early warning of weather changes. ;)
    Heather good plan, to keep practicing your dancing. Maybe whoever said it was right, and you don't need a home, just to cruise and cruise and pop off to visit grands and cruise some more...

Cleaning schedules: Mama had a set of dish towels with embroidered pics from the rhyme about Monday wash day Tuesday ironing, etc,
    http://www.rhymes.org.uk/a125-wash-on-monday.htm talks about churning and brewing which Mama as a working mother, 3rd generation citygal certainly did NOT. Perhaps these were they:

Wash on Monday
    Iron on Tuesday
    Mend on Wednesday
    Market on Thursday
    Clean on Friday
    Bake on Saturday
    Rest on Sunday

Time to prep some veggies and light lunch before dog school.

Enjoy the last day of Spring!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    60 g protein 17/19, meditate 15/19, walk one more step 16/19, knee exercises 15/19, walk Tumble 10/12 times, SWSY 0/6, hang up or purge art 0
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    :)