Plyometrics AKA "jump training"

Making this post because I am curious if anyone has experience or knowledge on plyometrics.

(Plyometrics or "jump training" or "plyos", are exercises in which muscles exert maximum force in short intervals of time, with the goal of increasing power)

I have been researching this type of work out but I am still learning.
Ayone have experience with this type of workout? Any tips on how to begin?

Pros and cons?
I have seen alot of the information is geared to athletes.
I am not a professional but I do want to focus on strength, endurance and agility.
I have also seen some people on social media mixing these moves into their workouts.

So does anyone have any helpful information,tips or criticisms about working out this way?

I am going to ease my way into things and won't be rushing into anything too difficult- safety first!

Open to any ideas, tips or links to videos and information!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I do plyo work...I don't do a stand alone plyo workout, it's just a part of my weight room routine. Like I'll do a set of dead lifts and then do jump squats then rest and repeat. Weighted squats into box jumps and then rest repeat, etc. I also do Olympic lifts which have an element of plyo work inherent in the movements.
  • TXNovaTX
    TXNovaTX Posts: 26 Member
    Awesome!
    I think I am going to also try out working some moves into my usual routine.
    I am going to look up the moves you listed and see more about them.
    I definitely need to mix some new elements into my work outs. While they can be a good amount of time I don't ever feel like I'm really working my body when I do my basic stuff.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Plyo is good stuff. Work on landing softly, Plyo is about athleticism, and coordination too not just cardio and strength. As mentioned above, a strict plyo routine on its own is going to be really challenging. So I would integrate it into your other routines circuit training or whatever else you od.
  • TXNovaTX
    Plyo is good stuff. Work on landing softly, Plyo is about athleticism, and coordination too not just cardio and strength. As mentioned above, a strict plyo routine on its own is going to be really challenging. So I would integrate it into your other routines circuit training or whatever else you od.

Thank you for that tip, I'll keep it in mind!
    Definitely looking to mix in one or two moves into my routine just to start!
  • TXNovaTX
    I do the Plyometric DVD from P90X once a week. It is definitely intense and I go at the pace I am comfortable with.

Oh cool! How is that P90X??
    I have seen it so many times and wanted to try it myself? Would you recommend it?
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    One of the guys I used to train with does this. As a result, he makes the double jump front kick break look super easy. :D:D
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    My PT puts quite a bit of pylo work in to our sessions, it's all about explosive power. So just lately basic push up has morphed in to one where hands and feet come off the ground at the top of the movement, squat jumps up a flight of stairs, working on box jumps, etc. Some I enjoy, some it's about mind over matter, I'm sure she's right and I could do a box jump but it's persuading my legs that I can. Either way it's all part of her strategy for helping me with my personal goals (mostly running and strength related).
  • TXNovaTX
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    My PT puts quite a bit of pylo work in to our sessions, it's all about explosive power. So just lately basic push up has morphed in to one where hands and feet come off the ground at the top of the movement, squat jumps up a flight of stairs, working on box jumps, etc. Some I enjoy, some it's about mind over matter, I'm sure she's right and I could do a box jump but it's persuading my legs that I can. Either way it's all part of her strategy for helping me with my personal goals (mostly running and strength related).

That sounds awesome!! I like the squat jump up the stairs!! I want to give that a go haha
  • TXNovaTX
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    One of the guys I used to train with does this. As a result, he makes the double jump front kick break look super easy. :D:D

Haha, that's amazing! The people I see who are really experienced with it can do some amazing stuff!
  • TXNovaTX
    Also today is my arm day and in my morning workout I was able to try my first plyometric exercise! Plyometrics pushups!!
    Normally would consist of you pushing up off the ground during a push up - but I don't have a lot of upper body strength and push-ups have always been one of the exercises I haven't been great at.
    So I found a wall plyometric push up where you push off the wall instead of the ground!

• mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    TXNovaTX wrote: »
    Also today is my arm day and in my morning workout I was able to try my first plyometric exercise! Plyometrics pushups!!
    Normally would consist of you pushing up off the ground during a push up - but I don't have a lot of upper body strength and push-ups have always been one of the exercises I haven't been great at.
    So I found a wall plyometric push up where you push off the wall instead of the ground!

Do this on a stair case. So you slowly progress to getting closer to the flat ground. Try going one step lower each session. For example.
  • TXNovaTX

Do this on a stair case. So you slowly progress to getting closer to the flat ground. Try going one step lower each session. For example.

Thanks for the tip! I do have a small staircase I can practice on. I think I'll do one more day of wallpusb ups then try moving to the stairs!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member

Before you attempt the plyometric push ups you really need to able to do a good number of standard push ups on your toes. We didn't even attempt to start progressing until I could easily manage sets of 20.
  • TXNovaTX

Before you attempt the plyometric push ups you really need to able to do a good number of standard push ups on your toes. We didn't even attempt to start progressing until I could easily manage sets of 20.

Thanks for advice. I won't be doing any real plyometric push ups, just a alternative version for people that are just beginning like me. Just on the wall for now!

And I am also working on my upper body strength to get to regular push ups. Push ups is something I have always trouble doing! But I'm trying!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited June 2018
    I am not a professional but I do want to focus on strength, endurance and agility.

Plyos aren't the ideal choice for any of those goals, nor are they appropriate for beginners. They're certainly trendy, but you won't miss anything by not doing them.
    For strength, follow a proven strength program (the pinned post lists options).
    For agility, try a few of the agility drills on Youtube.
    Endurance exercises will depend on what activity or activities you want endurance for.

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I sometimes look at a YouTube channel called "coachjayjohnson." He's a running coach. He has all kinds of plyometric-type routines for runners. His probably are not quite as demanding as doing box-jumps, sprints and/or clapping push-ups. But the routines are pretty good for runners.