Biggest dieting pet peeve

Replies

• FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 347 Member
    Mine are people who insist that you don't have to change your eating habits and can lose weight with just increased exercise alone.
  • FibroHiker
    People who mix avocados and dark chocolate together and say it taste like chocolate pudding. *kitten* you it does.

I have made the avocado Choco thingy and thought it was pretty good. Is it pudding? No. But it did taste pretty good for an alternative.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    All of this. ^^^ So much truth and honesty. This is why I love this joint.

Dieting propaganda gives me a really big pinch. Those who talk out of both sides of their mouth by rephrasing all of the old dieting catchphrases with new buzz words i.e. moderation means nothing but being so worth it does. So worth it means nothing. Absolutely nothing in that context because it is a total wash. They mean exactly the very same thing. That's what I'm talking about, rephrasing and making you think you have now been blessed with next miracle weight loss cure.

The half has not been told how much I cannot stand people being taken to the cleaners with their hard earned money, dieting gurus making their money off the backs of those who work hard for everything.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    What is your biggest pet peeve when talking to fellow dieters.

Mine are people who do some crazy fad diet than complain because it doesn't work.

Have a work colleague who's off and on keto for the past 5 years or so losing and gaining the same 50ish Lbs...my pet peeve is his breath and body odor every time he goes back on keto...
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    aidydh wrote: »
    People who mix avocados and dark chocolate together and say it taste like chocolate pudding. *kitten* you it does.

I have made the avocado Choco thingy and thought it was pretty good. Is it pudding? No. But it did taste pretty good for an alternative.

Honestly I don't see the point, I doubt it even has any fewer calories, its just the "healthier" impression
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    My mother's thoughts on "dieting." To her, one large plate full instead of going back for seconds means she is cutting back. Eating "healthy" means there is a small veggie on the plate to go with the large piece of meat. Not eating red meat every night. She always wants to lose weight, but whenever I tell her how it's done, she "isn't ready to do that." It is no wonder that I grew up overweight with her as an example. So glad I know better now.
  • Diatonic12
    edited June 2018
    .... his breath and body odor every time he goes back on keto.

Keto dog breath and body odor, they can't smell themselves not even when their teeth start to loosen or they start going bald do they notice any of the side effects. When they start spending more time in the dentist chair and still cannot figure out that there are consequences. That locomotive breath is your body trying to tell you something, it's abby normal to stink every single day.

Uh oh. Here comes old locomotive breath right now. Run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ebwhu3nsM8[/url]

• lacyphacelia
    lacyphacelia Posts: 58 Member
    edited June 2018
    Hahaha! I can't stand people who act like special diets are the panacea for humanity's obesity problem. No, the "cure" is to not eat more than what your body needs. #1stLawofThermodynamics
  • lacyphacelia
    “have you tried apple cider vinegar?”,

Girl...the apple cider vinegar stuff...!!!

• FibroHiker

Honestly I don't see the point, I doubt it even has any fewer calories, its just the "healthier" impression

For me it's not an impression but a viable alternative. I can't eat dairy or soy so a lot of foods are out for me. I'd love to eat a small amount of ice cream every now and then if it didn't make me sick. The idea that I would have to give up treats forever just makes me want them more. Eating some avocado "pudding" is a way to satisfy those cravings and it doesn't make me sick. Plus the fats in the avocado are healthy fats and can be balanced out with other tweeks in my daily diet.
  • hud54014
    hud54014 Posts: 3,777 Member
    hud54014 wrote: »
    I’ve got way too much going on to worry about what other people are doing with their own bodies, or to get irked about their thoughts and beliefs on health. So many people in my office are on Keto, and I couldn’t care less if they want to bulletproof their coffee, take weird supplements, or totally shun carbs and sugar. They are adults, it’s their life and their money. If they want my support, I willingly give it, celebrate their successes, and only offer advice when it is solicited. Most of the time advice goes in one ear and out the other, but I think this is pretty normal human behavior because we all want what’s easy.

I remember talking to a lady at work who was frustrated with a perfectly normal plateau, and decided to go on a steak and butter cleanse to “reset her metabolism”. While I admit this was a bit of a WTF are you thinking moment, I got to learn all about steak and butter cleanses, which made me chuckle. I communicated that plateaus are a normal part of the process, but let me know how that goes for you.

IDK, the way I see it is that it took a long time for me to find balance, and I bought into a lot of stupid fads and took diet pills, wasted money on meal replacements. There was no big lightbulb moment where everything just came together one day. It was a long process of trial and error, and I wish I was kinder to myself at those times, and I try to treat others how I should have been toward myself.

I highly.... highly doubt you have too much going on to be worried about others thoughts and beliefs when.... well lets just say it.... youre on the mfp forums.

I'm an excellent multi-tasker
  • FibroHiker
    Other people not understanding that everyone's bodies are different and my health issues aren't all in my head.

So you can eat whatever types of foods you want and not have to worry about how it's going to affect your health? Fantastic. Wish I were the same, believe me.

If you had diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, or fibromyalgia, you'd be singing a different tune. But please, keep telling me that I don't have to watch what types of food I eat and just exercise more while you chomp down that bacon cheeseburger, fries and milkshake.
  • Diatonic12
    edited June 2018
    'Well lets just say it.... you're on the mfp forums.'

Whoa, you're right. We can't make rationalizations for ourselves. If we've been here for any length of time, it's on our mind or running in the background.

Insta accounts who show you how eat one bowl of dogfood a million different ways that look exactly the same, day after day and year after year. Clean Eating, can't stand that term.

One bowl of pinecones, twigs and dirt and old tennis shoes with a smattering of a secret sauce artfully spun over the top and a few drops on the plate for creativity.

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator

It’s keto which is why I tried it, and it tastes like Satan’s taint.

You must live a much wilder life than I gave you credit for ;)
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Don't concern myself with other people's eating habits unless I am preparing their food. Don't GAF what people think of my eating habits.

However, I have lost 30 lbs in the last 12 weeks and don't think I'll share how.
  • lacyphacelia
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Don't concern myself with other people's eating habits unless I am preparing their food. Don't GAF what people think of my eating habits.

However, I have lost 30 lbs in the last 12 weeks and don't think I'll share how.

Bet I can guess :P