weighing more on tile than carpet (digital scale)

2»

Replies

• kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    I just tested my scale 160.2 on the tile 56.2 on carpet 🤣😂
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Those digital scales are a mind warp. I can stand to the left or right, do the full tilt boogie leaning forward and get a different reading every single time. I used to take the best out of 3 but now I go over to my local veterinarian's office and stand on their scale. They have a scale that weighs dogs and horses, livestock, too. It's accurate. I do feel like I'm at the feedlot but I take my dog and pretend I'm weighing my dog.

I haven't tried the Port of Entry and their Weigh Station, yet. I could drive my car through and say I'm weighing my car and dog.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Scales need to be on a hard flat surface to be accurate. Also try to place the scale in the exact same spot every day, small variations in tile/wood can throw it off. This way you'll be end up with better consistency.
  • Beaster_Bunny
    Beaster_Bunny Posts: 501 Member
    Zombie thread!!!
  • beverlyjlarson
    beverlyjlarson Posts: 104 Member
    I weigh myself once a week at the same time of day in the same spot. I even weigh clothed the same. It may seem a tad OCD but I know it's as accurate as I'm going to get.
  • tehanuthefirst
    tehanuthefirst Posts: 66 Member
    gwicks54 wrote: »
    I noticed my scale at home shows me weighing 3 pounds more in one spot, then less in another. I gave up with that scale and now weigh myself at the gym. The scales that you adjust with weights are more accurate and match what the doctor tells me. Don't give up and keep trying. I hate the scale sooo much because it never changes, but I won't give up because I know someday it will. Good luck!

Scales are evil. Mine weighs me less if the room is hot. You do know that you lost the weight, so don't give up. Also try measuring intead of weighing & going by how your clothes fit. Those things are not as fickle as a home scale.
    Hah, yes! I notice I weigh up to a kilo less after a shower than before a shower - and no, I'm not washing of a kilo of dirt! I step on before and after my shower, out of curiosity....I figured the scale must weigh me differently once the room has warmed up and gotten steamy after the shower. Glad to see I'm not the only one that's noticed the temperature makes a difference!

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    6p00xiq102qx.png
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    It's taken me a few months to find the spot in my house that produces the lowest number on my scale. Yes it may take a little time to find the best spot in your house but the weight loss you'll get will make it worth the effort.

Who says it only about calories in/out?
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    I wish I had bought a non-digital scale some days! I keep mine in the exact same place on a hardwood floor all the time, and the first reading is always different from the next ones, even if taken just a few seconds later. Mine seems to reset itself on the first reading, just like it does after the battery is changed. I'd get a non-digital scale, but I do like the encouragement of seeing tenths of a pound, so I'll keep the digial one. But they aren't designed to be accurate on carpet!
  • BenjaminFniMacDonald
    BenjaminFniMacDonald Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2021
    Aha, I've had literally the same situation. My scale deceived me, showing so desirable but wrong numbers. I guess the carpet numbers are wrong since the scale must be on a perfectly level floor. Any unevenness makes the sensor work incorrectly. By the way, you need to get on the scales correctly, without pressure or skewing on one side. Feet should be placed parallel to each other, on the same level. You can't achieve it on the carpet, especially regarding mine. The pile of my carpet is so high, to clean it, I use carpet restoration services. But now, ofc, my scale is on the parquet.