Retaining Water (Bloating)...

witchaywoman81
witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
edited June 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Are there particular foods you have found that seem to cause you to bloat more than others? I ask this while feeling especially bloated today...in my case, I’m thinking that sugar is the culprit. I had enough calories in the budget for that piece of cake I ate yesterday, but my digestive system doesn’t seem to be happy about it.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    There is so much bloating these days, everybody bloats. Are you gassy? Or retaining water?
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    I blame Marie Osmond’s Nutrisystems ads.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    For me, I have found that most sugar substitutes make me bloat.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    There is so much bloating these days, everybody bloats. Are you gassy? Or retaining water?

Everybody Bloats. Sounds like a bad song from the early 90s :lol:

OP The only foods I've noticed that make me obviously retain water (evidenced by the scale the next morning - I'm a daily weigher) are an overload of soy sauce and pizza :disappointed: More often than food, it's related to my monthly cycle.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited June 2018
    Water... Soy sauce, higher than normal carbs (my avg is 80-120), and alcohol.
    Gassy... Conference rooms and elevators.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Water... Soy sauce, higher than normal carbs (my avg is 80-120), and alcohol.
    Gassy... Conference rooms and elevators.

Conference rooms make you gassy? Super glad we don't work together!
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member

Gassy and retaining water. Like, a lot of water. Like, a feel like my abdomen is full of a water baby.

I do have a touch of IBS and I'm either super regular or...er...the opposite of that.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Lots of raw veg - but it passes!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    too much broccoli or cauliflower, or sprouts
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    White bread
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    if we're talking about retaining water, then booze, high sodium food, and flying.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    It must be Bloating Friday!
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    if we're talking about retaining water, then booze, high sodium food, and flying.

These. Not as much the booze for me (if anything, it's a good diuretic), but OMG sodium. If I go over 2300 mg in a day, it's almost an instant 1.6 pounds the next morning.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    raw veg,milk,sugar,erythitol and xylitol,i think these are ones I've noticed the most
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Anything high sugar or high sodium. Which last time meant strawberry patbingsu and pizza. :)
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Sunchokes make me bloat.
  • rolandmuts
    rolandmuts Posts: 9 Member
    I thought i could take a "shortcut" and use Aldi's Millville Protein powder as a good source for protein during the day. However, it contains creatine. Did some searches on what this is, and came across this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC155510/

I noticed two days after starting to use this powder that i gained 5 pounds, while still keeping to my 1600 calorie intake and doing some light exercise. Also I was drinking more than enough water, but still woke up parched two days in a row.

Not sure if there's a cause and effect here, but I stopped using the powder, and so far am back on the downwards trend with weight loss.

I want to lose weight, but not like that. So back to the 'natural' protein eating for me (tilapia, chicken breast, pork loin, shrimp. Not a bad-tasting list, now that i write this up...)

BTW, am not saying protein powder is bad - i just didn't want that water retention to begin with, and to be frank, the taste wasn't that great to keep up with it. Like i said, there's tastier sources of protein out there!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member

We all bloat down here, Georgie! :D

Sodium makes me bloat, so if I eat something high in sodium I expect a bit of an uptick on the scale the next day. Also it's hot af here in AL which causes me to retain more water than usual, too.
  • Ck103084
    Ck103084 Posts: 139 Member

These. Not as much the booze for me (if anything, it's a good diuretic), but OMG sodium. If I go over 2300 mg in a day, it's almost an instant 1.6 pounds the next morning.

Really? I wonder if too much sodium is what's making me gain sometimes. I'll have to check that out. Thanks!
  • rolandmuts
    rolandmuts Posts: 9 Member
    Yeah, the sodium so far seems for me the hardest to control. Even recipes i used in the past (all natural ingredients, no canned/processed ingredients, etc.) still gets me over the 2300 mg Sodium in a day. I guess i need to plan that out better, and see where I can reduce that. So far Sodium seems to be my achilles heel.