Running shoe costs, is it worth it?

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    I replace my Brooks about every year...I wear them until they're pretty much falling apart on my feet (not recommended, I know). My Salomon trail runners every two years or so...I do less trail running now, so they get less use.
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    I wait for sales and then ask for them for Christmas, Bdays, etc. I love having a few here to choose from and always stick old dryer sheets in them ;)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Proper running shoes are always worth the money. If you're on a tight budget, tell that to the salesperson when you go to the running store. Maybe there will be a more affordable option that works well for you, maybe not. But regardless, it's better to pay for shoes than to pay for medical treatment and rehab for an injury. Besides, shoes and good supportive undergarments are the primary equipment needed for running, unlike many other sports that require lots of expensive gear.

And enjoy the days of a pair of running shoes lasting a year or more, because you'll need to replace them more often if you start increasing your mileage...mine are $120/pair and I go through about three pairs a year.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Two facts about me. #1 I have a reconstructed foot that I've already gotten two major surgeries on and will probably require multiple more throughout the remainder of my life. #2 I'm a huge cheap *kitten*. Like I literally keep the tags on and return my stuff after I wear it once LOL

That being said, the only thing I'll dump a bunch of money on are Asics. I swear by them. They are well worth it, they last forever, you don't even have to break them in and no Nike, New Balance, Adidas sneak even compares.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    There are so many places to get good deals, I can't ever see me paying more than $100 for a pair of shoes. I generally try to keep it under $80.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Do you have a running store near you where you can go in to be evaluated for a proper fitting? The best pair of running shoes I owned were around $120 (12 years ago) after going to the running store for a proper fitting. The sales person had me lift my pant legs and walk barefoot to study my gait and then watched my walking again with each brand of shoe I tried. Some shoes had my ankles tilting inward while walking. A proper shoe had me walking straight and my heels no longer lifting out of the back of the shoes. She worked with me on lacing techniques to improve the fit. It was an amazing experience. I feel the proper fitting gave me a pair of shoes that set me up with less opportunity for injury.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Yes, it is worth the cost! Your feet will thank you.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    I will often buy older models of shoes I like from amazon. Previous models usually cost less.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    The Hoka One’s I wear Run about $130 and I replace them every 4 months. I keep two pairs in rotation for daily runs. Once they get taken out of circulation , they become my walking shoes, and eventually, grass mowing shoes.
  • sienainthesun
    sienainthesun Posts: 48 Member
    It is absolutely worth it to spend a bit on great running shoes. I sometimes buy an older model but they change enough that it can backfire if they mess with the fit too much so I do it in person - my local running store has a discount room for older models. I typically have one pair of road shoes (ASICS) and one pair of trail shoes (Altra) at a time. Usually they last about 300 miles for the road shoes and 400 for the trail shoes but this can vary.
  • gmwpink
    gmwpink Posts: 3 Member
    Spending the cash is so worth it! I’ve been in fitness industry for about 9 years now and have worn a ton of shoes. I discovered Hokas just couple months ago my knees, ankles hips never felt better! They cost $140 but it’s an investment your long term health if you cheap shoes or they are falling apart, replace them every 6 to get more out exercise routine :).
    Here’s a great link to hokas I have a neutral foot so I wear the Hoka Clifton 4
    https://gearup.active.com/Search.aspx?k=Hoka
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member

So, what do you do if things get tight and you just CAN NOT justify spending $100 on a pair of shoes? Do you just ... stop running until you can afford it? Start a GoFundMe? ;D
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member

So, what do you do if things get tight and you just CAN NOT justify spending $100 on a pair of shoes? Do you just ... stop running until you can afford it? Start a GoFundMe? ;D

Another option is going into a store for a fitting to learn the brand and style that fits you best then searching for deals on Amazon for the same brand shoe that may be cheaper.

If your current shoes are working for you, it's certainly not necessary to change anything. But if you are finding that you are prone to injury, having back trouble, noticing uneven wear on the soles of your shoes, etc. a proper fitting may be a good choice to explore your options.

For me, when I spent the $120 on good running shoes, I opted to ONLY wear them for exercising. I wore my cheaper tennis shoes for the day to day running around town in jeans. I can't justify the cost for me right now because I am not currently running.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    gcconroy29 wrote: »
    Just to parrot everyone else, I went to a running store and got analyzed for the right shoe. When I was there, they had a clearance on the shoes from the prior year. They hooked me up with a great pair of Brooks in a horrible color I would never choose for around $80

Same here! I’m currently using a nice pair of lime green brooks lol. They’re ugly but so comfy

I used to care what my trainers looked like, now that I workout more...I don't care at all as I generally look like hell after a workout regardless of how nice my clothes/shoes are.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

Most of the major brands have shoe ranges at two or three different price points. Of course cheaper shoes won't give the same mile life as more expensive, but that becomes the balance of financial Vs economic cost.

That said, I've never bothered with a fitting. I've done enough research that I understand my own hair and can identify appropriate shoes for what I'm doing. I've got six pairs on the go at the moment; roads, light trail and heavy trail. Running technique is as important as anything else.

Personally I find it a bit parasitic to use a fitting service then go elsewhere to buy.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member

Save up. I think that proper running shoes are necessary equipment. It's like "what if you want to start biking but can't afford a bike?" You save up and look for deals! Outlet stores will have older models for less expensive and sports stores like Dicks will also do clearance.
  • 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    I have found that Mizuno Inspires work for me and I've had several pairs now. I look for deals online. They normally run $120, but I've found them at holabird, 6pm, and Amazon for $55-65. Once you're fitted properly, you can look for sales.

Exactly this. Once you know what shoe fits you and you find a model(s) that work for you cruise the online shops for bargains. Might mean a weird color but I don't really care. I run in Hoka One One Bondi's they retail for $160, I don't think I've paid over $65 for a pair of them ever. Two pairs will last me about one year. I you find some cheap enough but a couple of pairs, you will eventually use them.
  • angela4332
    angela4332 Posts: 39 Member
    I have Brooks and I chose them for running. I love them and they have great support. Cost about 85.00 bucks on sale. Had Asics prior to that and did not get the support I needed. I'll stick with Brooks.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    If your current shoes are working for you, it's certainly not necessary to change anything. But if you are finding that you are prone to injury, having back trouble, noticing uneven wear on the soles of your shoes, etc. a proper fitting may be a good choice to explore your options.
    Cbean08 wrote: »

Save up. I think that proper running shoes are necessary equipment. It's like "what if you want to start biking but can't afford a bike?" You save up and look for deals! Outlet stores will have older models for less expensive and sports stores like Dicks will also do clearance.

My current shoes ARE working - they're the first pair of painfully-expensive shoes I've gotten. And they're definitely showing signs of wear. The sales associate said about six months, and that's about what I'll get out of them. But I just don't think I can drop $120-$150 every six months. So in the next month or so I'll need to do some shopping around.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Cbean08 wrote: »

My current shoes ARE working - they're the first pair of painfully-expensive shoes I've gotten. And they're definitely showing signs of wear. The sales associate said about six months, and that's about what I'll get out of them. But I just don't think I can drop $120-$150 every six months. So in the next month or so I'll need to do some shopping around.

What shoe do you use?