Flexible dieting vs clean eating

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    @CharlieBeansmomTracey I don't eat donuts. I don't like cake or $10 individual cupcakes. We don't make our cornbread with sugar because that's cake. But I like homemade sourdough biscuits, cornbread, pan bread, bread bread and other people's bread. Stale bread and bread I was supposed to give to the ducks but I ate it myself because it reminded me of croutons. When I told myself I could no longer eat bread the cravings came roaring back. I have 3 or 4 kinds of bread in my house right now and none of them are calling my name. But it's there and I can have some every single day if I want to.

I no longer have to overthink anything. I celebrate everyone's freedom. Nice job all the way around.

nbc_bread.jpg.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    This time around I can honestly state that approximately 80% of everything I eat is more natural. Opposed to highly processed food. I was told you will learn to shop on the outside part of the store, and stay away from the inside aisles. For most part that is true. But that is my choice, and until I got back on MFP I really had not even heard the phrase clean eating. I had to look it up to see what it was, which was confusing to say the least. As way too many definitions of what it was or sought to be. And to lose weight gee what a concept yep that calorie deficit pops up. Everyone has insulin in their bodies, without it, well no one would be able to go on here about what it does and does not do.
    But as a long time T2 diabetic, I can vouch that a hot fudge sundae will do the wrong kind of wonders for me than say a nice ribeye steak, with some asparagus. But what I plan to do, which I am working on is have a smaller piece of steak. And have some tasty flavored frozen yogurt and then a nice long walk afterwards. Which in turn should bring my blood sugars down to a respectful number.
    Learning about planning ahead so that I have the calories, carbs, fats, and sugars planned for the day so I can enjoy. And not worry about a wild blood sugar spike. Same even goes other way for exercise have to be mindful it does not take a deep dive.

Whatever lifestyle change any of us choose to follow, I say Yay for us.
  • Diatonic12
    T2 has special needs. Understood, Maureen. Tonight, I went to a gathering with some rodeo cowboys and cowgirls. They're athletes and some take really good care of themselves. They have a meeting place and it didn't have any lights in the parking lot for decades and decades. They recently decided to light the place up all night long. A cowboy who was in a bad way drove all of the way across country, saw the lights on and pulled in there.
    Another cowboy drove by and saw the out-of-state truck so he pulled in and helped him out.

That what this place was for me. A light in a dreary world of dieting, dieting, dieting. It took a couple of years but it completely changed my mind about everything. I'm not going back.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    I agree with so many of the posts above. I've lost almost 25 lbs in less than three months by only walking every day and cutting calories. Some weeks I cut to a pound a week, others 1.5 and others two. I choose according to how empowered I feel that week. I've been eating almost the same things at the same times of day though. It helps me to keep from having to make a hard choice or go hungry. Actually, I am eating yogurt with HFCS, lunchables with candy, boiled eggs with fatty yolks, and steak and pork and bread. All those things could be forbidden in a certain diet, but I eat them because they are convenient.

I like this approach. :)
  • AmandaEdwards1
    AmandaEdwards1 Posts: 46 Member
    i don't understand how noodles are automatically "not clean". I guess that's why it is subjective. I prefer to eat organic and I try to pay attention to added chemicals in food. Doing that typically just makes me be more aware of whats going in my body and I try to make better choices.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Mari22na wrote: »
    @CharlieBeansmomTracey I don't eat donuts. I don't like cake or $10 individual cupcakes. We don't make our cornbread with sugar because that's cake. But I like homemade sourdough biscuits, cornbread, pan bread, bread bread and other people's bread. Stale bread and bread I was supposed to give to the ducks but I ate it myself because it reminded me of croutons. When I told myself I could no longer eat bread the cravings came roaring back. I have 3 or 4 kinds of bread in my house right now and none of them are calling my name. But it's there and I can have some every single day if I want to.

I no longer have to overthink anything. I celebrate everyone's freedom. Nice job all the way around.

nbc_bread.jpg.

thanks and we all do what we have to do Im not much for cupcakes either,and definitely not a $10 one lol. as I have gotten older many of those things I eat once in a blue moon as I lost my taste for lots of things like that. I love homemade bread but dont eat much bread as too much bread for me means a flare up of eczema so I limit it.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member

nbc_bread.jpg.

thanks and we all do what we have to do Im not much for cupcakes either,and definitely not a $10 one lol. as I have gotten older many of those things I eat once in a blue moon as I lost my taste for lots of things like that. I love homemade bread but dont eat much bread as too much bread for me means a flare up of eczema so I limit it.

It's amazing how taste buds actually change. I used to be a heavy fried food eater. I honestly don't miss it too much. I do air fry, it's very similar tasting imho.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    psychod787 wrote: »

nbc_bread.jpg.

It's amazing how taste buds actually change. I used to be a heavy fried food eater. I honestly don't miss it too much. I do air fry, it's very similar tasting imho.

yep same here. used to love fried foods although with my health issue I cant eat much if any. some fried foods actually cause me stomach issues so I avoid it. I used to eat a lot of chips(or crisps for those in the UK), now adays everything we eat is either baked or grilled. or cooked in the slow cooker(crockpot).
  • Diatonic12
    Yaassss. Remember when you craved sugar as a kid. Licorice, gummy bears, popcorn balls and candy bars. Something happens and it goes away. Cravings and food triggers definitely change. Baking cookies and eating half of the batch. Homemade caramels, only we said carmels. Car-a-mels sounds so pretentious. Carmel apples and carmels with pecans. Peanut butter sandwiches with 'tata chips for crunch. I cannot remember the last time I ate a peanut butter sandwich.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    @justinkimcentral You asked whether you would burn the same amount of fat eating mostly "clean" with the occasional "unclean" food as you would eating a totally "clean" diet. The way you worded your question made it seem like you genuinely didn't know and wanted to hear from experienced people who did know the answer.

Now after reading all these well-thought-out responses with sources from knowledgeable members of the community, the completely misinformed post above this response is the one you decided to go with?

If your mind was already made up then why ask in the first place?

Almost a troll-ish thing to do.

Regardless of the reasons I enjoyed many of the responses as I am sure others did so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

Agreed. I do enjoy these types of threads because these are what helped me the most in the beginning. I learned so much from discussions like this one when I was just starting out.
    kgb6days wrote: »
    CICO is NOT that simple. it is way more complex than that. I've learned so much recently about insulin levels and how weight gain/loss is governed quite a bit hormonally. I would suggest reading the book The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss. Eye opening

This👌

@justinkimcentral You asked whether you would burn the same amount of fat eating mostly "clean" with the occasional "unclean" food as you would eating a totally "clean" diet. The way you worded your question made it seem like you genuinely didn't know and wanted to hear from experienced people who did know the answer.

Now after reading all these well-thought-out responses with sources from knowledgeable members of the community, the completely misinformed post above this response is the one you decided to go with?

The fact that we need to eat less food, well calories, does not sell books or fit a magic effortless bullet.

Nailed it.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member

nbc_bread.jpg.

yep same here. used to love fried foods although with my health issue I cant eat much if any. some fried foods actually cause me stomach issues so I avoid it. I used to eat a lot of chips(or crisps for those in the UK), now adays everything we eat is either baked or grilled. or cooked in the slow cooker(crockpot).

I used to love coca cola and chips as a teenager, these days I don't care for them. Even when I am bulking, I don't even bother to incorporate them into my diet.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    fb47 wrote: »

nbc_bread.jpg.

I used to love coca cola and chips as a teenager, these days I don't care for them. Even when I am bulking, I don't even bother to incorporate them into my diet.

I still have coca cola just diet now Id rather save calories and carbs for something else.even diet soda I have one once in awhile
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2018
    CICO is NOT that simple. it is way more complex than that. I've learned so much recently about insulin levels and how weight gain/loss is governed quite a bit hormonally. I would suggest reading the book The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss. Eye opening

This👌

The fact that we need to eat less food, well calories, does not sell books or fit a magic effortless bullet.

Funnily enough, I like diet books. Not the specific food type kind, but more the strategy kind. I usually find some valuable ideas even if I don't agree with the premise of the book as an absolute system. The dieting industry still makes money off of me. If one is creative enough, the book would sell without having to go full woo. The problem is that less fantastical ideas are harder to write convincingly and require more effort. Using cheap tactics like blaming and disputing diets, fearmongering, magic beans, and "what they don't want you to know" sounds like a more appealing option.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member

This👌

Funnily enough, I like diet books. Not the specific food type kind, but more the strategy kind. I usually find some valuable ideas even if I don't agree with the premise of the book as an absolute system. The dieting industry still makes money off of me. If one is creative enough, the book would sell without having to go full woo. The problem is that less fantastical ideas are harder to write convincingly and require more effort. Using cheap tactics like blaming and disputing diets, fearmongering, magic beans, and "what they don't want you to know" sounds like a more appealing option.

Nothing wrong with taking many ideas and forming your own. I personally am not opposed to "clean" eating, as long as people track or at the least are very mindful. I know that calories drive weight loss or gain, but people tend to forget about micro nutrients. Something that most processed foods are lacking. Could I balloon the kitten back up by eating clean and not tracking? Hell yes! Avacado and almonds are amazing! I tend to follow the 80-90% suggestion. Most of our diet should be from nutrient dense minimally processed sources. I tend to flex a little these days. I love my halo top and enlightened icecream. If that little bit keeps be from going on a bender so be it. This used to be me when I would super restrict......https://youtu.be/yqCKhWx8PkM
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member

This👌

I've read a lot of food related books that were mentioned here - but I get them all from the library ;)