Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Replies

• AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    AJB1014 wrote: »
    I LOVE THIS POST! Very inspiring, OP - gave me some motivation and helped me remember where I've come from!

Two, almost three years ago now, I had a shift. I cut out drinking year one. I cut out smoking year two, and this year I've cut out relationships that no longer serve me. In that time I've also managed to let go of a lot of stuff - clothes, shoes, trinkets, school supplies, etc. And also, habits - no more going out every weekend, or having to see every concert that strikes my fancy. No more wanting for the weekend and wasting the week. I planted my roots firmly with my family and started cultivating a better relationship with myself first, and then with my partner. I realized that stuff does not fill me up - it just fills up my house. I can't pour from an empty cup so I had to find out what actually did fill me. It was fresh air. It was heart to heart talks with my partner. It was waking up early and earning overtime to save for a house. It was playing with my dog till we were both dog tired. I tripped - I stumbled - I got back up and I'm back at it! Do I have plenty more stuff I could still do without? Sure do! Will I continue to press on in the directions of my dreams? Sure will!

This is an inspiring post! Xo

Yay! @JulieAL1969 - It inspires me to inspire others!!! Thanks so much for the feedback :)
  • sliml40
    sliml40 Posts: 8 Member
    Following
  • learn2teachkind
    learn2teachkind Posts: 2 Member
    NicoleVT83 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed reading this! Thanks

My pleasure and I'm so GLAD you enjoyed the post. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.
    {{{ <3 HUGS <3 }}}

Agreed beautiful post and replies.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    @VUA21 What a great story! So happy for you. Yes, letting toxic people go can give us so much freedom. Yours is definitely a true success story.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I've just been reading about “dostadning” - "Swedish Death Cleaning":

https://www.domain.com.au/living/swedish-death-cleaning-how-to-declutter-your-home-and-life-20180205-h0snyu/
    Now, the new buzzword on the block is “dostadning” – a hybrid of the Swedish words “death” and “cleaning”. How much these fad words are actually a part of Scandinavian culture is debatable, but dostadning is the new phenomenon outlined in Margareta Magnusson’s The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning. In Europe, the book has already occupied a good deal of reviewing space and according to Time magazine, dostadning will be the hot new trend stateside in 2018.

Magnusson’s book chimes with the current anxiety about clutter in the 21st century. Dostadning advocates the proactive and mindful clearing out of possessions before death. The idea is that it saves relatives the onerous task of making decisions about what to keep and what to throw or give away. The book reflects the simple fact that we are all living longer lives. This results, of course, in more stuff.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Y'all have inspired me to tackle my home! It drives me crazy that I can't properly close one of my kitchen drawers. It's the one that holds the big ladles, knives, pizza cutter, etc. I'm convinced that there are things I can declutter. Looking forward to getting home and exploring it!

One of my random thoughts-- I feel rested when I go on vacation and stay in a hotel room. But why? Maybe it's because that room doesn't have the clutter that I have at home. The hotel room has just the necessary basics.

Oh. What so what do I do with all the half empty bottles of shampoo hanging around my bathroom?

@WandaVaughn I use those up to shave my legs instead of buying shaving cream :wink: They work just as well and I know that I don't react badly to the ingredients. It's often just that I grow tiered of the smell (if only they would sell smaller bottles at decent prizes!)

Conditioner is also a good one to use. It tends to make my legs nice and soft to boot.

I simply figured that if it was good enough to put on my head and risk having it run into my eyes, then there's no reason why I can't lather up my legs with it to shave them :wink:

I sometimes use conditioner when I’m out of shave gel but I never would have thought to use shampoo. My linen closet is full of half empty bottles of random stuff. I am trying hard to use it all up so I can get rid of them all
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Y'all have inspired me to tackle my home! It drives me crazy that I can't properly close one of my kitchen drawers. It's the one that holds the big ladles, knives, pizza cutter, etc. I'm convinced that there are things I can declutter. Looking forward to getting home and exploring it!

One of my random thoughts-- I feel rested when I go on vacation and stay in a hotel room. But why? Maybe it's because that room doesn't have the clutter that I have at home. The hotel room has just the necessary basics.

Oh. What so what do I do with all the half empty bottles of shampoo hanging around my bathroom?

@WandaVaughn I use those up to shave my legs instead of buying shaving cream :wink: They work just as well and I know that I don't react badly to the ingredients. It's often just that I grow tiered of the smell (if only they would sell smaller bottles at decent prizes!)

Conditioner is also a good one to use. It tends to make my legs nice and soft to boot.

I simply figured that if it was good enough to put on my head and risk having it run into my eyes, then there's no reason why I can't lather up my legs with it to shave them :wink:

I sometimes use conditioner when I’m out of shave gel but I never would have thought to use shampoo. My linen closet is full of half empty bottles of random stuff. I am trying hard to use it all up so I can get rid of them all

I haven't bought shaving cream once these past 2 years and haven't had any problems with the skin (no rashes, irritations or other).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!