WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2018

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,519 Member
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    Pip ~ Guess I missed what you were saying about micromanagement. Sorry for the stress. What is micromanagement by the way?

that's when they monitor your calls, they see your emails that you send to review them, feedback on what you need to improve on, tell you what you did right, chk to see how many times you wiped your *kitten* basically
  • DebCountsAll
    DebCountsAll Posts: 471 Member
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Yay! My hall bath is finished! Now to save up for the next project.

I love the shelving unit and the standalone table! Where did you find these?

Thanks! Both of these were in my old bathroom. I got them from a mail order place called abc distributing many, many years ago. I think it has since changed its name but is still searchable under abc. Both pieces were black metal with a light natural colored basket and shelves. We used gray spray paint on the metal and weathered barn gray stain on the wicker of the basket, the wood shelves of the wall unit, and the tissue basket on the back of the toilet. On the wood top of the basket table, I used a light gray chalk paint with a black finishing gloss rubbed over it. I bought the stain and a bottle of prep from an antique store in town. She gave me the chalk paint and gloss from some she already had open in the store since I just needed a little. The stain was bought to use on a mirror I already had that I planned to use over the vanity. I finished it, it looked great, but flashed horrendously with the vanity. I ended up not using the mirror. Instead I used a $12.99 one I picked up at Ross. It was a good rabbit hole to go down, though, because I love how the basket table turned out.

Fantastic! I love the finishes.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,728 Member
    <3
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,323 Member
    Happy Wednesday ladies!!

Lisa - I think Karen and Meg are on to something with your stinky kitty/anal gland issues. We've had kitties with similar problems - I think they resolved on their own but I do remember the odor. :s I've dealt with the problem with our dogs but I'm not sure if kitties "stand" for it, lol. High fiber for cats - a mouse or bird? Gulp.

And how neat your son is paying back his debts. A big pat on the back to him (and for you guys in raising him right). I am enjoying your house blog!!! Thanks for getting it started - you and Corey will be the "Fixer-Uppers" and it's always so neat to have "before" photos. And happy anniversary! <3

Kelly
    - glad you stuck to your guns on the price for the weekend kid. When will Joaquin (and parents) be visiting?

Pip - I don't blame you for getting aggravated at the micro-managing. That's one of the reasons I was glad to retire when I did. I often wanted to ask the Director why he even had employees if he didn't trust them? He was cc'd on hundreds of emails each day. I think he was insecure and paranoid - not sure if he realized a sure way to alienate good employees is to treat them like they are incompetent.

Karen in VA - did you say you've used CBD for your dogs to diminish their anxiety due to fireworks? Our old gal really has problems with any kinds of booms/bangs - even someone chopping wood or pounding nails within her hearing distance can get her shivering. So fireworks is really bad and our state has a week window to set them off starting tomorrow. GGRRR. I've talked to our county folks about just getting them banned or at least confined to the actual 4th of July, but they don't seem anxious to do that. Might be a good topic for this election year.

I'm picking up a book at the library on Friday by a vet who uses cannabis to treat animals and will be curious to see if he has recommendations.

Heather - peace to your cancer friend. She has been valiant throughout all this and I know you'll miss her a lot when the time comes. (((HUGS))) Still crossing fingers for you on finding the right house! I hear Hove calling for you!!

Machka
    - thanks for the recap of your journey and landing in Oz. I remember the photos you showed of your cabin. Sending healing hugs to your DH and you!! Slow but sure!!

Janetr - you are an inspiration!!!!

Rori - way to go getting the eye surgeries all lined up! So slick the way they do that and it seems the healing is quick even with the eye drops. Busy month coming up for you but sounds like fun - and getting some things accomplished. Are you going to model your haircut for us?

Kim - you are an angel for baking the brownies for that gal. It will be worth her paying you, that's for sure. Yummy recipe. I have made butterscotch cookies before using browned butter like that. Super good.

Mary - sending prayers for your daughter's surgery & recovery. Has she had gut issues before? You may have mentioned and I missed it. Your rental house in MN & resort and wintering in AZ sound great. Glad your DIL is doing better.

Dana - I had to take an extra nap just reading about all the things you are doing with your grands, lol. They sound like neat kids but yes, they likely do better on their own turf.

Katla - glad your DH is doing better!! Bummer about the optician losing your lens and you missing the appointment with financial advisor. Having you wait a couple hours was crazy! Is this a big place or was the person in charge out to lunch or something? Lucky you weren't taking time off work. When do you plan to hit the road in your RV? I can't believe the 4th is next week already.

Wendy, Terry, Kylia and others - thanks for checking in! Sending hugs where needed! I know I missed a lot of you gals but always enjoy reading what you are up to.

Better close for now-

Lanette
    Cool & cloudy SW WA State
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,940 Member
    Carol, your guest room is just lovely and so very peaceful looking. It also looks quite spacious for a guest room.

Terry, are you getting a knee scooter for your foot surgery? I highly recommend it for increased mobility. Yeah., being in a cast in August sounds as much fun as being in an orthopedic boot in June/July. I actually got jealous of Janetr when she said she was cleaning. Never thought I’d see that day!

Continued prayers for Mary’s girls, Machka’s husband, Heather’s friend, Meg and everybody else who needs them.

Pip, having an exit plan can make things easier to bear. Those two years will be here before you know it.

• DebCountsAll

The blog posting of the plans afoot for our own home-to-be is, oddly, helping me wait out the closing process. I've pretty much discarded the whole concept of not getting too attached to the house, in case something falls through. If it does, it does. Might as well just be the planner that I am in the meantime, and if it all works out, we'll go into the new (to us) house with a plan of action on getting it to livable fairly quickly.

Assisting the closing effort is the injection of cash from our son, who just paid us back for everything we've sent to him for groceries and rent in the last year, while he and we were working our way toward Arkansas and getting settled here. He lives an hour north of us, in Fayetteville.

Although, like many here, we never give money to anyone as a loan, but as a gift, I'm so proud of him for understanding that he was indebted to us, and for honoring that obligation. I think it's a massive step in his maturation, and an amazing grace note on getting him through his mental struggles in the meantime. He's also sent his uncle double what he sent us, as that uncle got him set up in an apartment in Denver for his abortive attempt to go to culinary school there. A large part of me wanted to say, "No, keep it, use it wisely." But I think, for his own sake, he needed to pay what he construed as a debt to be able to move on to his own next steps unencumbered. Proud doesn't even begin to cover it. He's growing up to be a very good man, and his father is his guiding star in that.

Today's the ninth anniversary of marrying Corey, of mothering the children he brought me, and I feel like the luckiest woman in the known world.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in sunny Arkansas

I am also proud of your son. So many just take the gift, and don't even consider that for their own maturity and growth, they need to pay it back.

I looked on your blog and loved how you did your pictures and layout. I don't know the time frame you plan to live in this house, but having seen my parents struggle with my mom's immobility, I wanted to bring up a couple of ideas in the master bath plan. The orientation of that toilet will make getting someone who is walker or wheelchair bound inside pretty impossible. I am taking a very critical eye to my house, and since all the bedrooms are upstairs and the only bath downstairs is a powder room, I've got bigger issues with aging in place than your house does. I'd likely have to turn the den into a bedroom, and change the footprint of the bathroom significantly.

I agree about the tile countertops. I've got them and hate them. I have developed an aversion to anything requiring grout.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,940 Member
    I would love to join this group. Will you be doing it again in July. I'm 52 and working my way to a healthy lifestyle.

Yes! We will be back in July. There will be a link to the July thread in this one toward the end of the day on the 30th.

Welcome!
  • DebCountsAll
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Micro managing is starting at work again. I am so stressed. When I came home yesterday, kirby made me an offer. He will work for another year and I can retire in two years. The catch is I will have to do the prep in getting the house ready to sell. Getting rid of stuff, freshening up the paint inside the house, etc.. I am thinking about it. I wish my stomach wasn’t in knots. Thank God that I exercise to help me forget for a minute

Funny thing about micromanagers: They aren't getting their own work done. I had a manager that was on all her subordinates like white on rice, and she was let go because she wasn't managing her large contracts.

That situation went from the same stuff, different day to sudden removal of that manager. None of the subordinates saw it coming. It was such sweet relief.
  • DebCountsAll
    I would love to join this group. Will you be doing it again in July. I'm 52 and working my way to a healthy lifestyle.

Yes! Happy to have you.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    Rye great keep swimbag prepped plan! Kidd Kirby is tooo cuuute. Glad 50 hrs is only this week, that's exhausting!
    Dana
    Can't imagine caring for kids without disciplining them, especially for as long as you have done.
    Rebecca I always have to check Joe's pockets, he's SUCH a boy! Chocolat is one of my favorite movies. A dear friend and her long distance sweetheart watched it together/apart every Valentine's Day for years. Now that they are married and living together in the same place, I wonder if they've continued the tradition?
    Kay thanks for the plasma cars. How resourceful and creative you are, the basket table came out great!
    Katla you are so wise about your DH's personal choice. Feeling bad the next day might be just the motivation he needs to choose more wisely next time. It sure worked for me the last time I went overboard with the red wine ;)
    Kim where to buy food coloring for the browned butter... was so funny almost snorted my Wednesday cappuccino treat. Reminds me of the first time I tried to make fudge... poured in a glass of water and waited a looooonnngg time for it to form a soft ball... ;}
    Barbie Jake's heart getting better, hooray! Good thing you have all those weights... ;)
    Rita I covet your Coleman stove/grill combo. Safe travels! If you come up the coast, avoid Harris Beach state park. The mill-across-the-highway's beep goes on all night.
    Heather Googled "E numbers", fascinating. Would love some of that chorizo. So sorry for your disappointment. I believe the right house will become available at the right time. We found what I thought would be our dream/forever home... and were in (long distance) negotiations when the seller took it off the market. She would not reconsider even though we wrote her a begging letter, offering her full asking price and only a home inspection contingency. We licked our wounds for two months, then made the two day trip back to the coast to find our new place. Soon as we got out of the car, Joe said "This is it!" For us, it was all about the setting, big trees, no near neighbors, tiny ocean peek. The house is a cozy 30 year old double wide with a huge garage. Every morning I step out onto the porch, take a deep breath, and feel tremendously thankful. (((hugs))) to you for your friend.
    Tracey in Edmonton thanks for asking Machka to share her story.
    Machka WOW! That is the longest distance romance story I've heard. Meant to be. "told each other that at least the rain tanks were filling..." great positive attitude. That must be what's getting you through this.
    Janetr h07110.gif WTG!
    Lisa good luck with Egg's anal glands. Yuck. "an amazing grace note" indeed. What a heart full anniversary!
    pip micromanaging... grr. That and corporate BS were key in my retirement decision. Hope your exercise can untangle those knots! http://mistupid.com/jokes/page027.htm
    Carol your guest suite looks so luxurious and inviting, like the most bestest B&B.
    Terry thanks for jumping back in despite your foot. You were missed. Someone here suggested blended melon smoothies, might make 4 August weeks in a cast a little easier.
    Meg extra hugs for your dear friend's moving away. One doggoned loss after another. Fingers X'd for good blood results.
    Lisa what's the cannabis vet's book called?
    Lanette your browned butter butterscotch cookies sound mouthwatering. Would you share the recipe?
    Wendy sounds like a joyful retirement! Huzzah!
    Welcome June from Auckland and tasteoheavn. Yes watch for the link at the end of the last June posting.

Yesterday was low energy, had to drag my sorry butt to line dancing but was glad I did. Resisted meditating/knee exercises until about 9pm last night. Only way I could force myself to do it was to bargain, if I do the knees, I can skip the core rehab... just this once.
    Now it's tomorrow and time to do the knee and core exercises AGAIN! Especially since I splurged on cappuccino AND baklava... ;)

Love you all dears!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    60 g protein 24/26, meditate 21/26, walk one more step 22/26, knee exercises 21/26, walk Tumble 14/16 times, SWSY 0/8, hang up or purge art 0.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,323 Member
    edited June 2018
    Barbara AHMOD -

Here's the info on the vet book: The ultimate pet health guide : breakthrough nutrition and integrative care for dogs and cats
    by Gary Richter.

I saw an interview with him about using Cannabis with critters, so am anxious to see if he goes into more detail. The whole book sounds interesting and I may need to purchase a copy!

That butterscotch cookie recipe was in one of my mom's old cookbooks - I'll see if I can dig it out. I got some of her cookbooks when she passed away (love the pages with food stains on them!) now just need to figure out what box they are in, lol.

Lanette
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    I totally forgot to thank everyone for the anniversary good wishes. Thank you!

Mary - kept meaning to say something, glad the C-dif daughter-in-law is home, hope it's better. Had a bout with it, and never been sicker. Glad you get a chance to see your daughter... hope her healing is quick and easy, as well.

Lisa
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,519 Member
    Thanks to all with your insights and thoughts and well wishes about my work situation, means a lot , today the phones were a little less busy, so a bit less stressful.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,814 Member
    Hello ladies: Nice day today. Got some yardwork done and bought groceries for the week. New horse is doing well.

Lisa - Happy Anniversary!

Janetr - Congrats on the weight loss.

Katiebug - The bath turned out very nice.

Heather - Hope the house viewing goes well.

Mary - Sending healing angels to your DD and DDIL.

Peach - Love that guest room.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA