Question for the trail runners

lporter229
lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
I am a long time runner, but I am relatively new to trail running. I absolutely love being out there on the trails, but I am finding it difficult to keep my heart rate down, even with hiking the inclines. I would like to do my trail runs on my easy days, but each run ends up feeling more like a tempo day, no matter how slow I go. I take walk breaks to bring it back down, but as soon as I start running again, it sky rockets. Is this a common issue for new trail runners? Is it something that will work itself out with experience? Any tips on form or technique that might help?

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    This is very normal and why there's typically a longer lead time going from track to trail running. You'll also discover and develop new techniques to overcome the unique challenges trails offer. I found that incorporating a compound progressive resistance program also helps tremendously. I picked Stronglifts 5x5.

You'll adapt quickly. Take this slow, but continually challenge yourself.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    My RPE is always higher and my pace is always slower on trails. My trails are pretty technical, which makes it rare for me to be able to settle into any kind of real rhythm. IME, it just comes with the territory. As such, I'm just the opposite of you... I do trail runs when I need/want something shorter/faster/harder... and road run when I want something longer/easier.
  • lporter229
    Thanks for the input.

@CSARdriver- I have just started a strength training program twice per week. Heavy weights, low reps, total body. I am doing it on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I have been doing my trail runs on Wednesdays and Sundays. I think I might have to switch my trail runs to Thursday based on what @jjpptt2 said. I feel like I am not getting adequate recovery between my lifting sessions by running trails on Wednesdays. Although Mondays and Fridays have been rest days when I just do yoga or some other type of stretching.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited June 2018
    Even for regular trails runners it's pretty typical to power hike the uphills depending on how technical and steep the trail is and how big the hills are. Even during a race plenty of people are power hiking the steeper sections. More experience trail running will help based my experience, but for some trails that's just par for the course.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited June 2018
    IME, trails will always be slower than roads / tracks / etc. at the same exertion level and regardless of hills or lack thereof. There is just more to manage on technical trails. Every foot placement is coordinated based on roots, rocks, trees, holes, etc. That becomes challenging both mentally and physically.
  • lporter229
    Sure, I know that trails are slower than roads. I am definitely not trying to keep my road pace up on the trails. But even at a slow pace, it takes a lot of effort for me to run. I guess I am just wondering if I will ever get to a point where running on the trails can be an easy workout.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Yes, i think you can. A) practice and experience b) what trail you run ;)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I am a long time runner, but I am relatively new to trail running. I absolutely love being out there on the trails, but I am finding it difficult to keep my heart rate down, even with hiking the inclines. I would like to do my trail runs on my easy days, but each run ends up feeling more like a tempo day, no matter how slow I go. I take walk breaks to bring it back down, but as soon as I start running again, it sky rockets. Is this a common issue for new trail runners? Is it something that will work itself out with experience? Any tips on form or technique that might help?

Trail is mentally a different game, and HR isn't a particularly reliable metric. Constant pace isn't something you're going to achieve and the terrain can be more stressful. If you're not used to the technical aspect of a steep, fast, descent then you'll burn out quickly.

I hike climbs, run flats and descents. I've got no expectation of consistency. I'd also add that I'd expect a trail marathon to be at least an hour slower than road.
  • lporter229

Trail is mentally a different game, and HR isn't a particularly reliable metric. Constant pace isn't something you're going to achieve and the terrain can be more stressful. If you're not used to the technical aspect of a steep, fast, descent then you'll burn out quickly.

I hike climbs, run flats and descents. I've got no expectation of consistency. I'd also add that I'd expect a trail marathon to be at least an hour slower than road.

I'm thinking that might be my problem. The trails I like the best are the more technical ones because I love that feeling of bounding from rock to rock down the hills. I guess my brain tells me it should be easy because, hey, it's downhill. I guess that's probably not the case.

Based on all of your replies, I think I might need to rework my training schedule so that I am not trying to run trails on an easy day and just take them for what they are right now, a pretty tough, but fun, workout. Maybe someday with patience and practice I can schedule a nice, leisurely trail run on an easy day.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Sure, I know that trails are slower than roads. I am definitely not trying to keep my road pace up on the trails. But even at a slow pace, it takes a lot of effort for me to run. I guess I am just wondering if I will ever get to a point where running on the trails can be an easy workout.

I wouldn't see why not. I run probably 80/20 trails/road and I have lots of easy trail runs. It may just be taking you more time to develope your percieved rate of exertion on them.