drop 20lbs or 6% of fat in 6 weeks?

There's a promotional challenge by a fitness program /club locally. The gist of it, they make you pay $500.00 deposit, and within 6 weeks you got to drop 20 or more pounds or 6% body fat if you want to see your money back. They give you meal plan and a trainer to work out for 1 hour three times a week. I weight 176lbs and I'm 5'5". my bmi is 29.3.

My ideal weight is around 125lbs but I wanted to ask which is easier to lose in 6 weeks? I'm really considering joining the gym but also would need my money back as I'm going to pay in installments.

I'm a 32 years old female.

What do you advise?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    I have seen a bunch of these posts, like yours, lately. It’s sounds like a way to lose your hard earned money. I wouldn’t do this.

Make some friends here and use MFP. You will win!
  • rachelpauline93
    rachelpauline93 Posts: 40 Member
    I would advise you to not do it. If you need motivation, look inward. Losing at that rate would mean you are losing a little over 3 pounds a week (3.33). You're likely to burn out at that rate and lose your money, which they're counting on. You can save money and lose weight by taking it slow and steady! I used to have the lose weight quick mentality and it never got me anywhere other than about 5 pounds down until I got tired of restricting and started binging. Once I started counting calories and found what felt right, I've lost about 20 pounds. It took longer than 6 weeks but it taught me how to keep it off.

I don't think either options would be easier (body fat % or weight). It's pretty much guaranteed that they're going to get to keep your money.
  • lelramly
    lelramly Posts: 4 Member
    So you do not think I should? I have already paid the first deposit :( Im wondering now If I can get my money back. Im so confused.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    See if can get your money back. I think it sounds like a gimmick.
  • lelramly
    I will call now and get my money back.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    bagge72 wrote: »
    It sounds like somebody keeps making the same post with new profiles and different stats to see if the answers will vary. It always seems to be $500, 6%, and 20lbs...

I think that this is just the new scam, because I 100% for sure found myself at a gym with the same exact program. I have a BMI of about 19, I'm trying to put on a little weight, and they gave me the same required goals. I declined and found a different gym, but I could see how you'd get wrapped up into the unrealistic goal because the place I went advertised it deceptively well and then gave a very high pressure pitch.
  • lelramly
    I should have done more research before getting caught up with them. I just signed up like yesterday and I'm very hesitant. The point is it is never too late to back down. I can see now that this has been a trend not only in my area but across many states as well. Lesson learned.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    saragd012 wrote: »
    bagge72 wrote: »
    It sounds like somebody keeps making the same post with new profiles and different stats to see if the answers will vary. It always seems to be $500, 6%, and 20lbs...

I think that this is just the new scam, because I 100% for sure found myself at a gym with the same exact program. I have a BMI of about 19, I'm trying to put on a little weight, and they gave me the same required goals. I declined and found a different gym, but I could see how you'd get wrapped up into the unrealistic goal because the place I went advertised it deceptively well and then gave a very high pressure pitch.

Must be a percentages thing with that amount of weight loss in that amount of time, where most people can't achieve it.
This discussion has been closed.