June 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    I am a very careless aid station eater. I hit them with reckless abandon and discovered you can get really cool stuff off the "hidden menu" if you just ask. Once on a particularly chilly race, I jokingly asked for bourbon and this dude pulled out a flask. I was thrilled.

i lucked out and got a bit of whiskey once

Early on the Boston course, still in the town of Hopkinton, you run past a bar or tavern or something and people have plastic cups with beer held out just like a water station. Boston Irish, I guess. I don't do alcohol, so I can't vouch for the quality of the beer; maybe Sam Adams, since that's a sponsor.

I don't know the legal age for drinking in Massachusetts, but they don't let you run the marathon unless you're at least 18 years old on race day. EDIT TO ADD: They do card you for beer at the pre-race pasta dinner.

being from wisconsin and running mostly in milwaukee and door county most of runs conclude with beer. i get carded usually
    when i ran in the olympic penninsula, beer again.
    it would be nice to have cider

post race beers is mostly my only alcohol until renaissance fair season starts

i know a few races had unofficial stations with beer :wink:
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,701 Member
    edited June 2018
    I am a very careless aid station eater. I hit them with reckless abandon and discovered you can get really cool stuff off the "hidden menu" if you just ask. Once on a particularly chilly race, I jokingly asked for bourbon and this dude pulled out a flask. I was thrilled.

Early on the Boston course, still in the town of Hopkinton, you run past a bar or tavern or something and people have plastic cups with beer held out just like a water station. Boston Irish, I guess. I don't do alcohol, so I can't vouch for the quality of the beer; maybe Sam Adams, since that's a sponsor.

I don't know the legal age for drinking in Massachusetts, but they don't let you run the marathon unless you're at least 18 years old on race day. EDIT TO ADD: They do card you for beer at the pre-race pasta dinner.

The Richmond marathon and half marathon go by a row of frat houses and the college kids always have a keg set up and are handing it out to passer-bys. The Covenant Half Marathon in Knoxville also has an unofficial aid station with beer. I can't drink beer on a good day so I'm quite certain I would barf if I had some while running!
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Ended the month with 33 miles. Hoping for 50 miles in July :)
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member

being from wisconsin and running mostly in milwaukee and door county most of runs conclude with beer. i get carded usually
    when i ran in the olympic penninsula, beer again.
    it would be nice to have cider

post race beers is mostly my only alcohol until renaissance fair season starts

i know a few races had unofficial stations with beer :wink:

Celiac cuts into my post race beer so I'd love a cider! (Also from Wisconsin - beer just goes with everything. Cheese too).
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »

The Flying Pig has an unofficial beer mile. I have also been offered mimosas and tequila shots along the course. The Flying Pig is all about the party! (Did I mention there's bacon? This is an official station AND they were smart enough to put it on the only stretch that is an out and back so you get to double up on the bacon)

*adds flying pig to bucket list because... bacon*
  • mbaker566
    hug to the divorcees.

@RunsOnEspresso @lporter229 i've considered running the flying pig. at the least, doing the patrick cudahy run to baconfest. because bacon
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    All this talk about beer at races makes me wish I could drink alcohol. But alas, the psychiatrist said NO ALCOHOL while I'm taking lorazepam, so... feh.

So let's recap. No alcohol. No dairy. Good thing I don't live in Wisconsin. I live just below it, in Illinois, and let me tell you, I MISS Chicago style pizza! I miss pizza in general. I haven't tried the dairy-free cheese yet. My friend whose child is also dairy-free says not to try that until I'm 100% over real cheese, which I'm not. Ben & Jerry's, however, makes a really awesome non-dairy ice cream.

Psychiatrist also suggested no gluten but ack, I don't know if I can do that. I mean, my soulmate is carbs.

• LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    All this talk about beer at races makes me wish I could drink alcohol. But alas, the psychiatrist said NO ALCOHOL while I'm taking lorazepam, so... feh.

Hmmm... I routinely wash my ativan down with bourbon with no ill effects... but then again I have lots of experience washing things down with bourbon...lol
  • mbaker566
    @RespectTheKitty
    psychiatrist is not a registered dietician so unless he can tell me how carbs relate to lorezepam... but i'm not a dr either
    so far, question of my drinking (or lack thereof) has not come up

i've had nondairy cheese. it wasn't horrible. but my brain kept asking what i was eating
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Hugs to everyone having a tough summer. Divorce and depression suck.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Hey guys, sorry for falling off the face of the earth for pretty much the entire month of June.

I had a very rough month. I haven't announced it, been keeping from social media, but I am going through a very contested divorce and that explains a lot of my inactivity on here as some days and even weeks get real tough.

Condolences. Even if the divorce looks necessary, it will still hurt a lot and be very stressful. Been there, done that, got the house and custody.

Hang in there, and don't make any life-shattering decisions you can avoid until you get through it and the mental fog starts to lift.