June 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    All this talk about beer at races makes me wish I could drink alcohol. But alas, the psychiatrist said NO ALCOHOL while I'm taking lorazepam, so... feh.

So let's recap. No alcohol. No dairy. Good thing I don't live in Wisconsin. I live just below it, in Illinois, and let me tell you, I MISS Chicago style pizza! I miss pizza in general. I haven't tried the dairy-free cheese yet. My friend whose child is also dairy-free says not to try that until I'm 100% over real cheese, which I'm not. Ben & Jerry's, however, makes a really awesome non-dairy ice cream.

Psychiatrist also suggested no gluten but ack, I don't know if I can do that. I mean, my soulmate is carbs.

The brand dayia or something is probably the best fake cheese I've had. If I couldn't do dairy that would probably be what I would try to eat.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    @BruinsGal_91 what’s a ‘coozie’? My brain can’t create an object for it.

(Reminds me of my first day in Japan where my Aussie housematebhappily told me she’d put a fresh doona on my bed....)
  • girlinahat
    Hey @Stoshew71 sorry about your troubles, but good to know you’re still here.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited June 2018
    girlinahat wrote: »

(Reminds me of my first day in Japan where my Aussie housematebhappily told me she’d put a fresh doona on my bed....)

Where I live, a "coozie" is a device (often foam) that is shaped and sized to slide a soda/bear can into it so that the can and contents better maintains its temperature.

ETA: It's the pink thing in her photo.
  • girlinahat
    I’m liking the sound of some of these races. One day I mightt do the marathon de Medoc.....

@RespectTheKitty - I tried cashew cheese once. Hmmm. Doesn’t exactly have the same attributes as cheese cheese.

@midwesterner85 I’m scared of my dad not being around for my mum in case she has a low. I’ve been on the end of the phone before realising she’s low but knowing she’s just eaten and spending the next twenty minutes listening as the carbs kick in.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member

Where I live, a "coozie" is a device (often foam) that is shaped and sized to slide a soda/bear can into it so that the can and contents better maintains its temperature.

ETA: It's the pink thing in her photo.

https://www.google.com/search?q=coozie&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiLitjz0vnbAhUCKKwKHeeHBdYQ_AUICygC&biw=1920&bih=960
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Thanks all for the well wishes. "This too will pass!"
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,408 Member
    @Stoshew71 So sorry to about the divorce. Seems I think about dropping the hammer at least once a week, but then I think of all the *kitten* that comes with that, and I remind myself it isn't worth it. So I continue to just go with the flow.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2018
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 So sorry to about the divorce. Seems I think about dropping the hammer at least once a week, but then I think of all the *kitten* that comes with that, and I remind myself it isn't worth it. So I continue to just go with the flow.

Unfortunate we think that way.

ETA Or suffer through life. It shouldn't be a monumental cluster eff to get out of an unhealthy relationship.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited June 2018
    we have an attachment to our koozie/cozy @girlinahat
    s81wzagcmxyi.png
    oigw7kwfwq88.png

@polskagirl01 good luck :smile:
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Ah thanks @midwesterner85 and @Stoshew71

I wish we couldn’t just google the answers to things. It stifles conversations!!!

Everyone knows us Brits drink warm
    Beer so we don’t need any of those things ;)

@girlinahat ahh, warm beer. There's nothing quite like it. Hubs and I were in a brew pub in New York last summer and he ordered a 'British-style' beer. Our server said, "Sir, have you ever had cask beer before?" Like me, my husband is from Yorkshire. "Erm, once or twice", was the reply. I wish I could remember what the beer was, because it was rather good.

And a coozie is indeed a little foam container intended to keep the beverage cool. We have quite a selection of them. Mainly emblazoned with the logos of the Boston sports teams.
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Goal for June:
    Continue PT for Plantar fasciitis
    50 miles for June – run/walk depending on foot
    Incorporate speed work on Tuesdays each week (also dependent upon foot is feeling)

06/01 Rest Day
    06/02 - 2.80 - AKA 5K Race
    06/06 - 2.01 (Global Running Day)
    06/09 - 4.01
    06/15 - 2.53
    06/16 - 5.31
    06/24 - 2.43

Total: 19.09/50 9 Not making goal this month, hoping to due 5-6 tomorrow to make it to 25)

Nothing this week due to work and Vacation Bible School at church. I had a follow up with the Sports Medicine Doctor on Monday and two more physical therapy sessions this week. My foot is feeling much better this week, so they have released me from physical therapy but I need to continue the exercises at home. Return to running and see how the foot cooperates.

@biketheworld – Sports Medicine doctor suggested Dr. Scholl’s heel cups and those have helped. I only have them in my everyday walking shoes, but I want to try them in my running shoes. I will look into the Walk/Fit.

@kevassen – I went to a Sports Medicine doctor for the PF because I did not want to stop running. 14 PT visits alter and my foot is better. This week is the first week of no pain since beginning of May – but no running this week.

@LaDispute57- At a race in New Orleans one of the spectators offered me an orange slice and I took it in the middle of the 10K. I started feeling very light headed afterwards and my time slowed down the last two miles. At the end, a friend of my explained that the orange slice was probably lined with vodka before freezing and that is what made me lightheaded.

Beer and alcohol - either official or non official are common at after party races in Louisiana. Unofficial beer beverage stops are common along the courses.

Upcoming races (Question marks are races not yet registered for):
    Louisiana Marathon Quarter Marathon - 01/13/2018 - Done
    Mardi Gras Mambo 10K - 02/17/2018 - Done
    Q50 Races Sunset Gulf - 6.5 miles 3/24/2018 -DNS
    Fat Boy 5K - 04/14/2018 - Cancelled due to Tornado Warning
    Active for Autism 5K - 05/05/2018 - Done - Walked
    AKA CANN 5K - 06/02/2018 - Done - Run/Walk
    BIG EASY BIG HEART 5K 7/21/2018 -
    August Race - ?
    Saints Kick Off Run - 09/08/2018 -?
    WHOA Racing Cane Field Classic 2018 (Machete 7 – 1 mile/4 mile/2mile) 10/13/2018-
    Cajun Cup OR Middendorf's Manchac Run - 11/10/2018 - ?
    St Jude Memphis Marathon Weekend 10K - 12/01/ 2018
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @Stoshew71 I’m sorry. Since I know you both and your sweet daughter you know this makes me extra sad. You know how to find me if you need a friend. Just take care of yourself.

I decide to take another rest day today.

Is anyone racing this weekend? Good luck!!
  • girlinahat
    Good luck tomorrow @polskagirl01 !!!

I almost forgot to say - did my first non-race run after my marathon this morning (not counting the crazy 2 mile up a hill and back the day after)

Just once round the park, but it felt goooooooood. All of it. I felt strong. Sort of the opposite of Saturday.

Had a look at the Higdon plans, but they’ve changed the website and it looks like there are less variations now. I can’t commit to running 5/6 days a week so have hunted for some other 10k plans. Basically I just want some ideas for getting speed up, 3/4 runs a week, although my primary focus is to do more strength training. Oh, and a half marathon I signed up for at the end of July. :D
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Missed like 4 pages of posts today... erf! I did read though...

I do not drink, but many of the big races around here are connected one way or another back to beer. :) I know a lady that missed her target time in last years marathon because she stopped TWICE for beer. Dope. :)

@Stoshew71 Sorry to hear that man. :(

@midwesterner - In skimming to catch up, am I reading right that you have no one checking on you? That is not cool man. :(

Talk about going vegan... I might consider it but CHeeseburgers exist, and that pretty much sinks it. :)

@polskagirl01 Good luck on your race!

Sorry if I missed anything else. Y'all talk too much sometimes :D:lol: