Data base on calorie count sucks

montbj
montbj Posts: 3
edited November 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
seems i'm spending alot of time trying to find the calorie count on common foods. needing to go out on other search engines to find calorie counts. this is taking more time than it should. at this rate i'm not going to stick with this site. frustating!

Replies

• montbj
    montbj Posts: 3
    seems i'm spending alot of time trying to find the calorie count on common foods. needing to go out on other search engines to find calorie counts. this is taking more time than it should. at this rate i'm not going to stick with this site. frustating!
  • donnag524
    donnag524 Posts: 17 Member
    I haven't had that problem. Maybe you are making your searches too specific.
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    You know considering somebody is maintaining this site in his spare time and it is free to use I think you are being inconsiderate. I have had no problem finding what I need and what's more there are a lot of nice people who could maybe help you if you just asked nicely.
  • Skinnier_Me
    Skinnier_Me Posts: 341 Member
    The site creator is trying to enter more foods in the database but he can't do it all himself that's why you have the option to enter stuff in yourself.

I have gine to other sites just like this one and they don't have everything in their database either.
    It's not hard to look things up and enter them yourself.

Here are some sites I go to:
    http://www.calorieking.com/foods/
    http://www.dwlz.com/restaurants.html#T

and when I need nutrition facts for a meal that I have cooked, I go to
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp

add all the ingredients(you might have to enter some things in their database b/c they don't have it all either) and it calculates everything up for you.

This site has been soooo helpful for me and everyone else.
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    ok skinnier, you are nicer than me that was witchy. Hope they use the info you gave them, I know I have used some of them. I always enter something I can't find because it usually means I eat that type of food often, but then not everyone has alot of time to do that. Apologies to montbj for my rudeness.
  • Skinnier_Me
    LOL

You do not want to know what I deleted.
    It's just funny how people want things already done for them.

I hope he/she uses the info also.
    I'm always entering foods and it doesn't bother me one bit.
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,694 Member
    I haven't been able to find everything I need on this site either, as far as specifics go, but I just try to find the closest thing. I know that's good enough. I have tried other websites and though this one may not have as much listed I do think it is easier to use!
    Mel
  • Definately a great site. I haven't had any problems loading new stuff on (takes about a minute, if that) and i ALWAYS share what is loaded. There are always things that are near enough if I can't find it. It's true though, some people do want their hands held, and be able to blame someone else when things don't work out.
  • CMJ1979
    CMJ1979 Posts: 42
    Thanks sooo much skinnierme. That website where you calculate your recipe calories. That is exactly what I need today of all times. I was at my friends house and she had some homemade muffins and she gave me one and I was thinking to myself. OMG, how many cals is in this thing? How can I be sure to have the right amount of calories down. Now all thanks to you, all I have to do is get her recipe and enter it all in and calculate it. Thanks soo much you have made my day so much easier.

Sincerely,

Cleo
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    Hi, I just joined and what I have been doing is adding to the database. I go to my cupboard and go to the info on the label and add foods that aren't in the data base. You might go to abcrunch.com and download a free 5 week menu and shopping list. I have had great success with that menu and I am seeing more progress from my workouts.
  • Wow thanks for all those great websites. One that I use all the time is www.dietfacts.com, it's also a pretty good website especially for restaurants.
  • Skinnier_Me
    aw!... You're sweet Cleo.

You are most welcome.
    I use those sites almost everyday and enter them in the database so everyone else can use them.
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    I was referred to this site yesteray and have spent 20 minutes on it and I think it is AWESOME!!!! What I didn't find I easily put in myself and saved. This is a great tool - Thank you so much!
  • apaden4
    apaden4 Posts: 137 Member
    That is an awsome site with the recipe calculator, thanks skinnier_me, I was wanting to find something like that too!
  • Skinnier_Me
    Welcome Julie!

Very welcome apaden4 =)
  • cardgrl
    cardgrl Posts: 175 Member
    Skinnier, thank you for the recipe calculator. I made ground turkey and gravy the other day and I couldn't figure out what to put in my diary. I actually added more calories than was in the meal! Anyone on this site should want to lose weight. In my opinion, I know it isn't like going to Disney Land, but if can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen....
  • Skinnier_Me
    Very welcome cardgrl!! =)
  • tnkitty
    tnkitty Posts: 78 Member
    Oh wow thanks for posting the recipe calculator. That is so helpful!
  • Skinnier_Me
    Very welcome Ms. Kitty =)
  • cwalbrj
    cwalbrj Posts: 61
    I just put things in myself, using the nutrional labels. Generally we eat many of the same foods over and over.. put it in once and viola, it's there for good. I put it in the database for all to share.
    I appreciate this site, Mike's hard work, love the support and like the idea that we are all in this together!
This discussion has been closed.